What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

Andy_P

Juniors
I think what is apparent is that Griffin's people management skills were or are probably closer to the Maguire end of the spectrum and not so much on the Bennett, Bellamy or Robinson end. While he might have the favorable stats on paper, you want him to have the people skills to have good relationships with most of the players and that he inspires them with his football brain. Not having this is when the rumours about 'losing the room' start happening. Cleary at least seems to be one of those calm, caring types (not that Hook ever appeared particularly emotional or angry while coaching) and so that is good to know. Of course he needed the extra nous of Barrett, Ciraldo etc. for things to get to the next level.

Pomoz

Bench
Some good comments on here about Hook. His last comments about the club and Gus were very mature and he should be commended for it. Having acknowledged he was "Not proud of the breakdown with Gus", we should also note that he took ownership of the Matt Moylan fall out and said " I could have handled it better". Maybe he is able to improve because he has reflected on his shortcomings and is willing to change.

If he is unable to work with others such as Flanagan, he will fail again. Nobody has all the answers and even Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett rely heavily on others for key aspects of their coaching.

GongPanther

Referee
I honestly think, and have said it elsewhere, Hook will be good the Dragons.

At the very least, he'll have them playing fit and never-give-up footy, which can only help with a team like the Dragons.

I was, and forever will be, a believer that Hook just doesn't have that something "more" that is needed to take a team all the way to a premiership, but he'll definitely improve their team no doubt.
I've got a feeling he will get the Dragons up and going again in overseeing the local talent in the Illawara, with the 1st grade eventually going well, then after his 2nd year, gets the boot via the board so Young can take over.

I hope he goes well, everyone deserves another chance.

GongPanther

Referee
You are taking paper talk for facts though, No one has once said he was totally responsible even last night

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/0944fc670a8dbc5ec4d11a448f9a39fd

“Like I said that was a period that finished in a way what was a really successful period in my career and also the Penrith Panthers.

“They had never been to the playoffs three years in a row and I played a role in that.

“I’m not saying I did all of it or didn’t do all of it. Gus did some great work out there.

“But fundamentally that relationship broke down so I’m not proud of that, but I’ve moved on.

So he said he played a part in it. As did Gus the rest is just old cranky reporters. You need to take less notice of the opinion pieces.
Especially when the drive behind News Corps vendetta is against Gould...not to mention News Corp V Fairfax/Nine Corp. (SMH)

The_Frog

First Grade
Hook said:
“They had never been to the playoffs three years in a row and I played a role in that.
They had, actually. 89-90-91. A playoff for 5th in 88 as well.

Just never before under the one coach.

Andy_P

Juniors
This is the difference between him and Gus.
Did he actually say what he reflected on though? What he would do better? Like,he's admiited that he didn't handle the Moylan issue well - but I'm interested in hearing him articulate what he didn't do well with us.

franklin2323

Immortal
Did he actually say what he reflected on though? What he would do better? Like,he's admiited that he didn't handle the Moylan issue well - but I'm interested in hearing him articulate what he didn't do well with us.

Was does it matter what was done wrong? That is the past. Does no one any good bringing it up again.

We will find out if he has or not by results

WestyLife

First Grade
Was does it matter what was done wrong? That is the past. Does no one any good bringing it up again.

We will find out if he has or not by results

Dragons fans would probably want that answer. They've now got 2 seasons with a possible 3rd riding on it.

Blade23

Juniors
That was poor trolling by Kent. Who was responsible for our junior development..Jim Jones? Tried looking at the staff list on the Panthers' site, but couldn't find him.

You won't find much on Jim Jones he likes to work behind the scenes. He is the recruitment manager. A legend. A keen eye for talent.

Matt Cameron is responsible for junior development. He was recruited to the club by Gould many years back during Ivan's first reign. He was given the task of building from within. He came up with the junior pathways you see now. His plan, Gould made it happen. Well before Griffin came on the scene.

Griffin was passionate about giving the young players a go and came up with a few suggestions to improve things but he didn't build or rebuild the pathways.

Gould gets criticised for the Corey Payne blunder but his decision to bring Matt Cameron to the club in my opinion was a masterstroke.

Hooked

Juniors
You won't find much on Jim Jones he likes to work behind the scenes. He is the recruitment manager. A legend. A keen eye for talent.

Matt Cameron is responsible for junior development. He was recruited to the club by Gould many years back during Ivan's first reign. He was given the task of building from within. He came up with the junior pathways you see now. His plan, Gould made it happen. Well before Griffin came on the scene.

Griffin was passionate about giving the young players a go and came up with a few suggestions to improve things but he didn't build or rebuild the pathways.

Gould gets criticised for the Corey Payne blunder but his decision to bring Matt Cameron to the club in my opinion was a masterstroke.

Shove that up your arse Rothfield!

franklin2323

Immortal
Dragons fans would probably want that answer. They've now got 2 seasons with a possible 3rd riding on it.

Then does he drag up every player that left? Or was rumoured to have issues with?

Facts are the 4 players they have that were coached by him applauded the decision. As did another Dragons great and a one of his harshest critics in Soward

So there are plenty of people to listen to without dragging up the past

franklin2323

Immortal

How Parra let Cameron go is anyone's guess

Andy_P

Juniors
Then does he drag up every player that left? Or was rumoured to have issues with?

Facts are the 4 players they have that were coached by him applauded the decision. As did another Dragons great and a one of his harshest critics in Soward

So there are plenty of people to listen to without dragging up the past
Just curious to see whether the things he might say he could have done better at where the things that panthers personnel have indicated were issues, or does he have a completely different view to what his deficiencies were? On the surface Hook says it's about a 'falling out', but is that his pride talking? I would like to have gotten a bit of insight into his thinking from his time at panthers apart form this 'falling out over philosophical approaches to coaching' thing. I can also appreciate the politics of him not being able to afford to be too open about his failings - but just to hear what he thinks he wasn't so good at would have been interesting.

martielang

Bench

Is Matty Moylan gonna do the same? Actually has he taken any responsibility at all ever? He’s got plenty of time on his hands at the moment, give us something Matty.

Exsilium

First Grade
I think he handled the Moylan situation better than most expected.

Not only did Moylan leave the club, he signed for the sharks and has given them zero return.