What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Milford - wants release says players agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mark Tookey who has taken over from Edwards is highly regarded as a scout on his own and is extremely passionate about what he does and how Souths Logan and the Canberra Raiders can help kids achieve their dreams. The kids apparently love him too.

I dot think we'll lose that much, i think Tookey is well positioned to keep our roll on in that area. Brisbane are undoubtably going to improve in this area with Edwards (and they needed to, they were getting wipe out in their own backyard) but as i said, the Raiders are still going to get a fair slice of this pie.

As you said, time will tell, but im tipping in 5 years time we'll still have a gun U20's side choc full of kids from Souths Logan.

It doesnt worry us as much as you guys seem to think it should.
The Raiders pathways system is well established, kids know we can get from 15 year old talents and develop them into NRL footballers. Edwards isnt going to change the tide in any significant way. He'll just make sure the Broncos are completely striking out. We're still going to get ours.

Are you guys still trotting out this shit, most clubs spend huge amounts of money developing players.

Its the fact your such a legless club that no one stays around.

Fix the club and make it a club players wont to play for and the second they develope into firstgraders they may not want to piss off so fast.

Kiwi

First Grade
Mark Tookey who has taken over from Edwards is highly regarded as a scout on his own and is extremely passionate about what he does and how Souths Logan and the Canberra Raiders can help kids achieve their dreams. The kids apparently love him too.

I dot think we'll lose that much, i think Tookey is well positioned to keep our roll on in that area. Brisbane are undoubtably going to improve in this area with Edwards (and they needed to, they were getting wipe out in their own backyard) but as i said, the Raiders are still going to get a fair slice of this pie.

As you said, time will tell, but im tipping in 5 years time we'll still have a gun U20's side choc full of kids from Souths Logan.
The reality is if the Broncos signing Edwards means that the only major change for the area is more kids from logan get a chance to make their mark in the NRL then that has to be a good thing. At the very least both clubs will get their fair share of top talent from the area.

If Tookey is as good as you say then that's good for the Raiders and good for the area and keeping league strong there.

papabear

Juniors

TBH theres something about mark tookey that doesn't inspire me to think he is going to outpick other scouts.

Kiwi

First Grade
Are you guys still trotting out this shit, most clubs spend huge amounts of money developing players.

Its the fact your such a legless club that no one stays around.

Fix the club and make it a club players wont to play for and the second they develope into firstgraders they may not want to piss off so fast.
Settle petal. Whilst I do think the Raiders might have an issue I don't think it's that bad. To be honest Carney, Dugan and Fergo were all ticking time bombs. The Raiders only mistake was giving all three too many chances. I bet they don't make that mistake again anytime soon. Finally with the amount of qld young talent they have it was only a matter of time before one or two headed home.

El Diablo

Post Whore

sounds like the Raiders should relocate there if that's where all their players will be from

they won't get homesick then either

Kiwi

First Grade
sounds like the Raiders should relocate there if that's where all their players will be from

they won't get homesick then either
It's the risk any club takes when having scouts go outside their junior areas. All clubs scout far and wide and so they should. But as I I said it's a risk. I am sure if you asked any Raiders fan if the could live with 1 in 5 promising juniors signed out of Logan returning home due to being homesick while the rest stayed they would take that deal any day of the week, doesn't mean they have to like it when it happens though.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Not ideal but probably the best of the realistic outcomes for the Raiders.

He sees out his contract which sends at least some message the Raiders won't just release players who ask for it, it gives us a year to get Ahearn or a replacement ready. Ideally Milford will play off the bench swapping with both Ahearn and Cornish throughout the game.

I think 2014 is a bit of a write off personally so its a serious rebuild year. Having a player like Milford should steal us enough wins to avoid the spoon and we can look towards replacing him, Dugan and Ferguson for 2015. (as hard as those guys will be to replace)

Kiwi

First Grade
Not ideal but probably the best of the realistic outcomes for the Raiders.

He sees out his contract which sends at least some message the Raiders won't just release players who ask for it, it gives us a year to get Ahearn or a replacement ready. Ideally Milford will play off the bench swapping with both Ahearn and Cornish throughout the game.

I think 2014 is a bit of a write off personally so its a serious rebuild year. Having a player like Milford should steal us enough wins to avoid the spoon and we can look towards replacing him, Dugan and Ferguson for 2015. (as hard as those guys will be to replace)
Will they though? Be hard to replace that is. Brenko Lee, Ahearn and Cornish will surely be ready to step up at some stage next year or in 2015.

shiznit

Coach
just as they are well within their rights to continue to work on something to keep him up until round 13 next year.

Until round 13 next year, the contract he signed isnt worth the paper it's written on. I cant see a Papalii situation eventuating here, but stranger things have happened

Actually... No... Not completely true...

I think there's a misconception on these boards that it's a blanket rule that no contract is valid until June 30 or whatever the date is they take registrations.

That's definitely not the case... That date is the registration date for the NRL for the following season.

these back outs occur because players either sign a letter of intent... Or they sign contracts with a back out clause which would void the contract if they change they're mind before the contract is registered with the NRL.

Papalii was able to back out because of how the contract with Parra was written. They allowed wiggle room in his contract and Papalii used it... Which is fair enough...

But let me assure you... a contract is still a binding contract whether it's registered by the NRL or not.

There are some NRL agents who actually decline these clauses in all they're clients contracts on principle as a of show good faith with the clubs they deal with.

Obviously I don't know what Milford has signed... So I have no idea what's going to happen here... But if he's signed a tight contract with no back out clauses with the Broncos... It doesn't matter when the NRL registration date is.. He's a broncos player for the period he's signed for.

And you would think after the Papalii back out they would be very keen on making sure there is no wiggle room...

So to sum up... A contract is valid based on the stipulations in the contract signed... Not from some magic date in the middle of the season the NRL chooses.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Will they though? Be hard to replace that is. Brenko Lee, Ahearn and Cornish will surely be ready to step up at some stage next year or in 2015.

Maybe

Its always hard with "potential" talent because you get as many times more busts than success stories. I like Brenko Lee because he is so physically gifted. That helps a lot in making the transition but Ahearn and Cornish are slightly different because they are both smallish play makers. Ahearn has nice footwork (obviously not in Milfords league. That kid has fantastic footwork) and pretty good vision.

He certainly isn't as dominate as Dugan was of under 20s though.

skeepe

Immortal
Milford is clearly a money hungry, disloyal piece of shit.

Send the merkin to Souths Logan and be done with it.

And f**k you Broncos. I hope you fail in everything you ever attempt you utter merkins.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'd definitely play Milford in reserves the entire year. Teach the little turd and his virus of a manager a lesson for trying to play the "family illness" card.

As for the Raiders, they'll be fine in the long run if they can manage to convince the next batch of quality youngsters to stay.

And Brisbane? They'll still be bog average in 2014 as they have no halves. If they can get Smith on top of Milford then they should crack the top 6 in 2015. But they still have an average squad around them with the likes of Hodges, Parker, Thaiday and Smith not getting any younger.

Scum cant develop their own juniors so they let other clubs do it for them, smart from a business perspective.

You mean the same thing you guys did to us with Learoyd-Lahrs?

Like I have said in other threads, teams have been doing this to us for years. Even now we are in the top 3 in the league of having players in our starting 17 that played their first FG game for the club. But now that we have joined the party (fashionably late i might add) we are the "scum". Ok?

Big Pete

Referee
Like others have said, probably the best outcome for the Raiders given the circumstances and the Broncos really can't afford to get too ahead of themselves in light of other situations.

I'm unsure about the Round 13 rule, I've heard a lot of insiders say it's a case by case scenario, then again, a representative from the NRL website said that it is a uniform rule, so we'll see if that comes into the equation.

Makes you wonder though who the Broncos can play in the halves heading into 2014. Hunt obviously fills one part of the equation, but he's virtually just a Chad Townsend at this stage of his career. Most likely, they'll come up with some makeshift pairing, which will essentially make next season a write off before it has even begun.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Broncos are stuck in 1997.

Its awesome to behold.

Much like the Dragons who are still stuck on the 1999 Grand Final, amirite?

Welp, that's that. Milf is a Bronco from 2015. I would've thought Canberra would have learnt their lesson by now about having players in their squad that don't want to be there. They'd best hope Milford's father doesn't tragically die during the 2014 season, otherwise they're gonna look like real arseholes.

Roll on 2015 with Milf, Barba and Smith.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.