What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone kind of happy we lost charity shield?

Fiddy

Juniors
I know that sounds weird but everyone is (Ok not EVERYONE but a fair few people) are saying this just proves we are the same old pretenders. They ignore the fact we had a majority of our star power out, the fact that we had quite a few positives come out of the game and the fact that the dragons apart from the drop balls which we also did ourselves played pretty damn well.

Anyway is anyone else glad we lost? This might mean people will leave us alone finally for the next month or so and take us out of the media spotlight.. all this talk of us making Top 4 and the like was annoying and no team can say they will do so now so i dunno.. i hope it does bring an end to the hype.

(BTW this thread is not about how souths played in the charity shield or if we will make the top 4/6/8 or where we will finish.. i ask you respect this when posting)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
souths played ok in the charity shield and i think you will finish between 4th and 8th.

2010Dragons

Bench
Wesser must be dropped !!!
Sandow must stop thinking he is a forward and cut out the attempt shoulder charges, which he thinks he has stopped the player (ineffective tackle).
When he did it to Fien, he just got up straight away and my boys scored on the next set.
Sutton must improve his kicking game!!

Once Souths have fixed these issue, they will be in the top 8 and maybe top 4

Ttime

Juniors
I am also happy we have lost the charity shield.
If we had one it, everyone would have been on our threads talking ABout how we have won "our" grand final and the moment we lost a real game everyone would have been down our throats giving us sh1t.

I think it was good for some of these young guys to see what 1st grade intensity is really like. They will probably get a lot out of it.
Also, I hope Wesser and Sutton get motivated from this... cause they were rubbish

African Monkey

First Grade
Couldn't care less about the result. The game is nothing more than a trial.

Also, what's with all the Wesser hate? He went ok for a trial game I thought.

Collateral

Coach
They ignore the fact we had a majority of our star power out

Saints were nowhere near their top 13 though which is the worrying thing for Souths.

We were without:

Jamie Soward - 5/8
Ben Hornby - Captain/Halfback
Beau Scott
Dean Young
Brett Morris

Plus, guys like Weyman, Cooper & Creagh saw limited game time. We had a 2nd rower playing at hooker for a time, our hooker playing halfback and our fullback playing 5/8.

And one more thing is that our coach wasnt even at the game.

Im not saying this to try rub anything in, infact Im saying it because I like Souths and their performance in the Shield worried me...not so much that they lost, but that they got 32 points put on them and could only manage 10 for themselves depsite at times having a 70% possesion rate.

I know its only a trial game but you want to win every game you play or at least put in a strong positive performance, neither of which Souths did IMO.

Saints were nowhere near their top 13 though which is the worrying thing for Souths.

We were without:

Jamie Soward - 5/8
Ben Hornby - Captain/Halfback
Beau Scott
Dean Young
Brett Morris

Plus, guys like Weyman, Cooper & Creagh saw limited game time. We had a 2nd rower playing at hooker for a time, our hooker playing halfback and our fullback playing 5/8.

And one more thing is that our coach wasnt even at the game.

Im not saying this to try rub anything in, infact Im saying it because I like Souths and their performance in the Shield worried me...not so much that they lost, but that they got 32 points put on them and could only manage 10 for themselves depsite at times having a 70% possesion rate.

I know its only a trial game but you want to win every game you play or at least put in a strong positive performance, neither of which Souths did IMO.

How many players did Souths have out?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
How many players did Souths have out?

You kind of missed the point of the post. Souths still had more than enough cattle to throw down a challenge to their opposition, unfortunately they came out looking 2nd rate. If anything that game just highlights Souths lack of depth beyond the starting 13.

The Rabbitohs, much like the Dragons, will no doubt look much stronger come round 1. However, injuries would surely be a huge concern throughout the season if that performance is anything to go by.

Galeforce

Bench
i know lots of folk look forward to Charity game , however i do not as it means little from a successfull seasons perspective. It is just a trial and i am happy extremely happy we treated it as a trial by taking off most of our experienced players off at one time . We showed some good glimpses and were then punished for our mistakes , all good learning
The most important aspect
a) No injuries -- most important
b) gives Lang and team plenty to think about re improvement and placements, by highlighting weakness
c) should increase Souths betting odds before the start of the season.
d) takes focus off Souths for premiership talk ( we need to get this talk after notching up some consistent wins in the proper NRL games.

yes , so after the game over , i am happy with the result ( though i hated watching us get beat)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As they would be for any club.

not at all.

the point he was making is that the game showed up there is a lack of depth for the rabbits... once the big guns are out, there is limited experience / talent there to step up..

injuries will happen, and depth will save some clubs, whilst lack of depth will hurt others...

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Depth vs potency is an issue for every team.

If you tie up a lot of money in star players, then your depth will naturally suffer. This is why the Storm rort was so unfair - they had stars and maintained excellent depth.

The Dragons are a good example of a team that has fewer stars, great depth and a master coach that gets the best out of toilers and up and comers. Fein turned out to be an amazing purchase for the Dragons.

So, in accumulating a strong roster, the Bunnies do not have the greatest depth. A serious injury to Luke would spell disaster (I pray it doesn't happen). They also have a shallow pool in terms of the halves. I know people rate Reynolds, but he's completely untested and you'd just be trading Sandow's diminishing inexperience for Reynolds complete inexperience at NRL level.

I would say forward depth is actually pretty good, and there's enough fringe and up and coming backs that that's not too worrying either. Losing Simpson impacts depth for the latter, though, since he managed to accumulate quite a bit of first grade experience over the last few seasons.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
As they would be for any club.

That statement would be true if everything was equal and all clubs had the exact same Marquee player to depth ratio, but it isn't is it?

Souths have chosen the route of signing big guns at the expense of depth. Souths have displayed a lack of depth, it's a huge part of the reason why they didn't take part in the finals last year. Their recruitment this year has done little to change that. I'm not saying that they won't be a success either, but the team looks like an all or nothing gamble moreso than a sustainable culture and squad.

Last edited:

Collateral

Coach
Souths will need their full strength squad on the park basically at all times in order to even come close to winning the comp this year.

They still have massive issues in the halves, although I was actually impressed with Sandow for a change on the weekend.

My major issue with the bunnies though is that most of their key players are impact players (Burgess, Taylor, Inglis, Asotasi, Sandow, Sutton & Luke). IMO They need a lot more workers in the team who knuckle down and focus on the little things required for a team to be consistent.

My major issue with the bunnies though is that most of their key players are impact players (Burgess, Taylor, Inglis, Asotasi, Sandow, Sutton & Luke). IMO They need a lot more workers in the team who knuckle down and focus on the little things required for a team to be consistent.

Whats Ben Lowe and Luke Stuart?

Last edited:

Latest posts