What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone struggling to get Cat1 tix for tomorrow night?

Karmawave

Bench
By the way, which week did BH & G beat RL? Was it last week? A week featuring Broncos and Roosters (2 teams in a matchup I wouldn't think garner big ratings)

It outrated the Knights v Eels in Sydney, and strangely enough the Rabbits v Roosters clash in Sydney Rnd 1.

Sydney is the most populated area of NSW is it not?

Is it NSW?

The answer is no, just in case you're still struggling.

Are we not competing on a National stage as well?

Yeah, we are and we're doing it well at the moment.

This is called the National Rugby League.

And?

Its all well and good that Wagga or Bathurst or wherever else that isn't Sydney is watching the footy, but when its a handful of people compared to a metropolitan area, it shouldn't be trivialized to merely defend it should it?

A handful?

Sorry, you just simply have no idea what you're talking about.

The NRL GF outrated the AFL GFNationally last year thanks to that "handful" of over 1,000,000 people.

And it also helped Rugby League to 4 of the top 5 sporting telecasts last year.

Are you not concerned that in Sydney ( a population of 4Million people ) on a Friday Night, a key rugby league area, is being outrated by BH&G?

No, why should I be?

Sport isn't everyone's cup of tea and never will be.

Do you think the AFL win their slot every week?

juneauquan

Juniors
Trivialising the poor Sydney numbers is all well and good.

However the fact remains, it is the largest city, a rugby league heartland.

Not to mention Sydney is the home of more NRL teams than any other area.

The apathy that is apparent towards the game in the city is of massive concern.

After living in Newcastle, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, NSW North Coast over the years I can safely say, Sydney is not Rugby League 'heartland'. NSW/QLD country hold that spot.

Karmawave

Bench
Mate, no one wants to see RL succeed more than me.

There was a time when RL was NEVER beaten by anything on a Friday Night.

The fact that it has occured at all is the worry - not the trivializing of it by pointing out other areas where it is successful.

I can assure you that TV execs, the NRL and the powers that be would be more concerned about winning the Sydney time slot than the Newcastle, Bathurst or bloody Taree one.

I mean in Sydney it didnt just get beaten, it was beaten by 25% more viewers of another show.

Friday night used to be the night where other networks gave up even trying to compete against RL - and they would throw up movie nights as a way of surrender.

I fear that if it continues the way it is, then CH 9 will start looking into moving it back to the 8.30pm timeslot and bring back Burkes Backyard which would suck.

Regardless of what you and I think, TV execs and the NRL value winning the Sydney time slot more than any other.

juneauquan

Juniors
It outrated the Knights v Eels in Sydney, and strangely enough the Rabbits v Roosters clash in Sydney Rnd 1.

Instead of focusing on one little negative, how about focusing on the positives.

How about focusing on that:

1. RL destroyed AFL in the ratings in both Brisbane and Sydney AND not only that but AFL had AWFUL ratings even by their mediocre standards.

2. RL had 4 of the 6 top rating programs last year

3. RL Grand Final beat AFL Grand Final in the ratings

4. Just have a look at the Pay TV ratings and tell me how the ratings victory RL has over every other program is a bad thing

juneauquan

Juniors
Mate, no one wants to see RL succeed more than me.

There was a time when RL was NEVER beaten by anything on a Friday Night.

The fact that it has occured at all is the worry - not the trivializing of it by pointing out other areas where it is successful.

I can assure you that TV execs, the NRL and the powers that be would be more concerned about winning the Sydney time slot than the Newcastle, Bathurst or bloody Taree one.

I mean in Sydney it didnt just get beaten, it was beaten by 25% more viewers of another show.

Friday night used to be the night where other networks gave up even trying to compete against RL - and they would throw up movie nights as a way of surrender.

I fear that if it continues the way it is, then CH 9 will start looking into moving it back to the 8.30pm timeslot and bring back Burkes Backyard which would suck.

Regardless of what you and I think, TV execs and the NRL value winning the Sydney time slot more than any other.

And I have no doubt once Winter rolls in and daylight savings ends, Rugby League will reclaim the number 1 spot in Sydney and still reign supreme over the rest of NSW and QLD

Karmawave

Bench
I hope your right.

Really, given the unprecedented media coverage this game has received tonight, you would expect a 40,000 plus crowd.

I mean, the coverage has reached saturation point. You could not get anymore coverage for this game if you tried.

Anything less than 40K is a disappointment, as I cannot see any game this year during the regular season Rounds, reach the hype and publicity coverage this game has generated.

If it can't outrate BH&G tonight in Sydney, then there IS something wrong.

JW

Coach
Karma,

The fact is that your original quote referred to NSW, not Sydney.

Karmawave said:
2 out of he first 3 weeks, Better Homes & Gardens outrated Friday night Footy in NSW

According to you, we are to conveniently ignore the 1.95 million people in the NNSW TV catchment and the 1.34 million in the SNSW catchment - a handful, as you refer to them.

http://www.regionaltvmarketing.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=gqtigpgLFv0=&tabid=87&mid=445

And you talk about others "trivialising" things.

Karmawave

Bench
You are right, and it was wrong of me to do that.

It doesn't remove the concern that should be there, that in Sydney - our largest city and featuring more NRL teams than any other city -the NRL is being beaten on TV by a bloody lifestyle programme in a market of 4Million + viewers.

JW

Coach
You are right, and it was wrong of me to do that.

It doesn't remove the concern that should be there, that in Sydney - our largest city and featuring more NRL teams than any other city -the NRL is being beaten on TV by a bloody lifestyle programme in a market of 4Million + viewers.

Perhaps, but as EA mentioned before we need to accept that a lot of veiwers out there just aren't sport watchers at all, let alone Rugby League watchers.

I haven't taken much notice of the nationwide figures but i'd put some lazy coin on most other areas being reasonably similar. I'm sure the Flogball isn't dominating or at least winning the Melbourne/Victorian market every week either.

dgsfan

Juniors
official. As at 9:30 Friday morning....33,476.

Is this accurate? If so, what do people predict the total will be after walk ups? Boy it'd be good to get over 40,000! Is it likely with the news of 33,476 being sold?

juneauquan

Juniors
Is this accurate? If so, what do people predict the total will be after walk ups? Boy it'd be good to get over 40,000! Is it likely with the news of 33,476 being sold?

If true. 40,000 should be attainable.

BUT I have my doubts ... only because previous erroneous crowd overestimations by the media and such before have turned me into a bit of a pessimistic cynic when it comes to estimations of crowd numbers.

I would not be surprised if the crowd tonight is less than 30,000

Simo

First Grade

I have my doubts for the same reason as the post above + safety fears (percieved or real).

Sometimes when there are great presales im kinda dissapointed with the actual walkup....either everyone going purchased early or they figures for presale were just wrong.

Simo

First Grade
plus I forgot the paper reported 34,000 sold to the (i think) dogs parra game and the crod was only 25,000!

dragondad

First Grade
I could see a bigger crowd if it was at SFS . much easier to get to,good stadium as well.

35000 at SFS is so much better than 35000 at ANZ too.

dragondad

First Grade
SFS is about a 5-10 min walk from the biggest train station in Sydney where every train passes through.To get to ANZ you have to catch a train to Lidcombe and then the sprint to ANZ

mark123

Juniors
SFS is about a 5-10 min walk from the biggest train station in Sydney where every train passes through.To get to ANZ you have to catch a train to Lidcombe and then the sprint to ANZ

I love how they call it the sprint.

Its practically a marathon compared to the image they wish to portray.