What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC team

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Uh.. who?

If you're referring to India that's just... no

Pardon me, that was in ODIs they were No.1. I certainly don't rate them as the best but rankings wise they were near the top. To be sixth in the Test arena and climbing to me is very exciting

And T20 isn't a sport.

vvvrulz

Coach
Pardon me, that was in ODIs they were No.1. I certainly don't rate them as the best but rankings wise they were near the top. To be sixth in the Test arena and climbing to me is very exciting

And T20 isn't a sport.

Now we're on the same page, and yes completely agree that T20 is mindless nonsense :lol:

Meth

Staff member
Did I hear that we are debuting a new haka? Who's idea was that? Short preparation. Unexperienced team. Let's spend all week learning a bloody new haka ffs

vvvrulz

Coach
Did I hear that we are debuting a new haka? Who's idea was that? Short preparation. Unexperienced team. Let's spend all week learning a bloody new haka ffs

:lol: Yep, unbelievable isn't it.
Kearney deserves to get towelled by 60 points.

Feel sorry for the boys in the field, they're truly on a hiding to nothing.
If ever that cliché was accurate its here.

Rich102

Staff member
Is this the new haka where they bare their backsides to the opposition and say pleasee?

Blair

Coach
In nearly every public ceremony - pōwhiri - (and informal events such as sports matches, where they have 'traditional' maori warriors) I've seen in the last ten years or so the warriors have been obese.

Same thing last night at the SFS.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't think the haka is great for the Kiwi's temperament in general.

I couldn't really care less if NZ sports teams do hakas before games but the players spending a few hours during the week (most likely at night) learning the haka when they would otherwise be chilling in their hotel room or something isn't exactly a problem. It's not like they are cutting practices and replacing them with haka time.

Blair

Coach
I couldn't really care less if NZ sports teams do hakas before games but the players spending a few hours during the week (most likely at night) learning the haka when they would otherwise be chilling in their hotel room or something isn't exactly a problem. It's not like they are cutting practices and replacing them with haka time.

The Kiwis only used to do the haka after games and after victories! But that's going back to the Graham Lowe-era.

Howie and Kevin Tamati led a couple of classics, at Lang Park in '83 and Carlaw Park in '85.

Incidently, I believe that 16-game record the Kangaroos notched up last night was similar situation in '83, when we famously ended a five-year unbeaten streak.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach

Great game that one though, probably the best ever, but without doubt a piss poor haka attempt.

Those comments below are pure Facebook: one word, one line, keypad reactions to something most hadn't seen before.

It would be a shock to see an All Black side perform a haka this way. In those days it was a rare treat to see it, a little later it was performed regularly but only overseas.

I think it was Buck Shelford who took charge of the more authentic way the All Blacks perform it nowadays, before every game. He kept the leap in the air at the end, which was bagged by the comments section on Facebook.

For the record, Sid Going was leading the infamous haka above (he is a proud Maori from Northland), Kent Lambert is doing it properly too (another Maori, from the Manawatu).

Off camera was Bryan Williams, another Polynesian. He was probably doing it OK.

Joe Karam, of Lebanese background didn't look too bad. The rest, including All Black legends like Grizz Wylie and Grant Batty, had plenty of learning to do.

I'm not even bothering to put this on that Facebook site, I wouldn't cheapen myself. It would also be too long for most to be able to read.

vvvrulz

Coach
The Kiwis only used to do the hake after games and after victories!

It does seem a bit pointless to lay into a great well-practised haka and then get absolutely demolished minutes later. How often has that happened to the Kiwis.

Doesn't really scare anyone without having an aura of winning.

Meth

Staff member
It does seem a bit pointless to lay into a great well-practised haka and then get absolutely demolished minutes later. How often has that happened to the Kiwis.

Doesn't really scare anyone without having an aura of winning.

yep

Latest posts