What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

Joker's Wild

Coach
So in effect I am right and more then 1 premiership is awarded.

Awesome day for sport around the world!

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

SET2JT

Juniors
So in effect I am right and more then 1 premiership is awarded.

Awesome day for sport around the world!
I will try explain this for you. Lets say your brother has a car and has had it for a while. You come to an agreement were you give him a certain amount of money and then you get to share the car. Now the car had 15 dings before you put your money into it. While driving on the freeway a stone hits your car causing a ding on the bonnet. Now is this ding number 1 (as its the first time you and your brother own the car together) or ding number 16?

I will try explain this for you. Lets say your brother has a car and has had it for a while. You come to an agreement were you give him a certain amount of money and then you get to shear the car. Now the car had 15 dings before you put your money into it. While driving on the freeway a stone hits your car causing a ding on the bonnet. Now is this ding number 1 (as its the first time you and your brother own the car together) or ding number 16?

What the f**k lol!

typicalfan

Coach
Yes i Understand but i disagree with the Wests Tigers part of it . They called it a merger but really there is no difference with what the Tigers have done to the dragons, they both still operate as their own leagues clubs (i Think) they still have separate Junior teams i.

Can you tell me what the Two clubs did differently ( im not trying to be a smart arse im trying to understand). The only difference i can see is that the Tigers were stupid and called it a merger.
Wests and Balmain still exist, just not in first grade, they made a decision in the best interests of both clubs to merge which means essentially means a new team and a clean slate, Balmain also merged with Ryde Eastwood in the lower grades. St George Illawarra is an agreement that both parties will work together for a common goal. So because both still exist they both keep their history and whatever history they create, they create together. The Dragons and Steelers can also go their separate ways once the JV is finished or they can renew.

I don't think the Tigers were stupid, they were struggling after SL and needed a way out.

With the JV the Steelers were just about bankrupt and the Dragons came to them with the proposal, kept the Illawarra in the competition and it gave the Dragons a mega talent pool.

Last edited:

Guvner

First Grade
Are you serious, The St George Dragons Merged with Illawarra to create the St George Illawarra Dragons football team , same as Wests Tigers were formed out of Balmain and Wests and both those teanms have won their maiden premierships.

How can we give St George and Illawarra a premiership win when in other competitions they compete as separate sides and actually compete against each other?

The correct term is Joint Venture Milo. Im not familiar with the arrangements made between Wests and Balmain.

I will ask again, why would the NRL allow the Premiership trophy to be housed at the St.George Leagues club if as you claim they have no entitlement to ownership of it?

Guvner

First Grade
It is subjective but your wrong about the fact they just added Illawarra to their name, talk bout an understatement.

If we are going to go off that logic i would go the other way round and say the steelers added the St George and Dragons, the teams base is at Wollongong they provide more juniors too .

It was a 50% Merger not a takeover

Joint Venture Milo, Joint Venture.

blake1979

Juniors
Wests and Balmain still exist, just not in first grade, they made a decision in the best interests of both clubs to merge which means essentially means a new team and a clean slate, Balmain also merged with Ryde Eastwood in the lower grades. St George Illawarra is an agreement that both parties will work together for a common goal. So because both still exist they both keep their history and whatever history they create, they create together. The Dragons and Steelers can also go their separate ways once the JV is finished or they can renew.

I don't think the Tigers were stupid, they were struggling after SL and needed a way out.

Ok yeah i understand. Is there any contract between the Two JV clubs involving how long will they operate together.

blake1979

Juniors
The correct term is Joint Venture Milo. Im not familiar with the arrangements made between Wests and Balmain.

I will ask again, why would the NRL allow the Premiership trophy to be housed at the St.George Leagues club if as you claim they have no entitlement to ownership of it?

Not once i have claimed they have no ownership of the trophy , my point is that in official records it has to be 1 premiership to St George Illawarra, you cant add a Premiership for St George Dragons and Illawarra as well

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Ok yeah i understand. Is there any contract between the Two JV clubs involving how long will they operate together.

There is, actually. It's a 15 year contract for the license, which reverts back to St George if Illawarra defaults (From memory).

However, I cannot see that happening and, honestly, wouldn't want that to happen.

We have our history, and Illawarra is part of that history so why throw out the baby with the bath water?

blake1979

Juniors
There is, actually. It's a 15 year contract for the license, which reverts back to St George if Illawarra defaults (From memory).

However, I cannot see that happening and, honestly, wouldn't want that to happen.

We have our history, and Illawarra is part of that history so why throw out the baby with the bath water?

I think its a shame Illawarra has not got a team on its own merit, its such a big area and has such a large supporter base plus talent pool .

blake1979

Juniors

Were you originally a Dragon or Steelers fan , i would find it interesting to see what original Dragons fans would think regarding being able to revert back to St George Dragons playing all their games at Kogarah

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Are you serious, The St George Dragons Merged with Illawarra to create the St George Illawarra Dragons football team , same as Wests Tigers were formed out of Balmain and Wests and both those teanms have won their maiden premierships.

How can we give St George and Illawarra a premiership win when in other competitions they compete as separate sides and actually compete against each other?
Because the JV is as much about St George as it is about the Illawarra. Thanks to the previous 15 premierships of St George, we now have 16 premierships overall.

Were you originally a Dragon or Steelers fan , i would find it interesting to see what original Dragons fans would think regarding being able to revert back to St George Dragons playing all their games at Kogarah

I was an original Dragons fan, and I'm more than happy with the current arrangement, and if it was up to me I'd take Drew-sta's stance, and I would keep it as so.

I'm only 22 though, so I would understand if older Dragons supporters felt differently.

typicalfan

Coach

As far as I am aware the Illawarra area has become very profitable $$$ wise in the last few years whereas at the time of the JV the Steelers were just about bankrupt.

I think the two will exist together for a very long time.

Latest posts