What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

juanfarkall

Coach
I don’t see the point in arguing the result of the game or the refereeing, the dragons won and it’s as simple as that.

Back to the premiership tally though…. Can a dragons supporter explain why the countries that made up the old USSR i.e. Russia, Ukraine etc. do not get credited for any of the sporting achievements that the USSR recorded i.e. Olympic medals. The USSR was an amalgamation or merger of several countries.

Why is the logic fit for that situation but not for the Dragons situation?

Why do Wests tigers supporters recognise and accept that their team has only won 1 premiership whilst Dragons supports bitch and moan and whinge and carry on trying to convince everybody that the St George Illawarra Dragons have won 16 competitions.

Best you ask the Russians and the Tigers fans about that.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Back to the premiership tally though…. Can a dragons supporter explain why the countries that made up the old USSR i.e. Russia, Ukraine etc. do not get credited for any of the sporting achievements that the USSR recorded i.e. Olympic medals. The USSR was an amalgamation or merger of several countries.

Why is the logic fit for that situation but not for the Dragons situation?
Get off the vodka comrade.

snoozer

Bench
This thread should continue until R. Finch is replaced as referee's boss. Coincidentally since B. Finch left the Roosters on not so good terms, the Roosters have had by far the worse penalty differential of any team. Who knows whether this just so happens to be coincidence. Under the current referee mindset, the Roosters are undisciplined and deserve to give away lots of penalties and only received the meagre odd square up. Most of the time it doesn't change the result of the game so it isn't worth whingeing about.

When you badly lose the arm wrestle in a Grand Final but can see clearly that the refs were part of the arm against you, on the back of a year of bad referee standards and on the back of the Roosters being on the wrong end of the penalty counts for about 5 years, it is worth letting the world know about it until they change the referee's boss.

We hear Finch senior is going, but it is like the independent commission. When it happens, it will be believable. On the back of this GF he needs to move on.
jesus you missed the point of my post.

another sad-sack whinger.

Checked this post for the first time today, simply out of disbelief that it is over a week later, and the argument is still raging.

As an Eels supporter, I got behind Easts for the Brian Smith factor, and granted, there were a couple of dodgy and costly calls against Easts/for Saints in the first half which would have seen a different scoreline at halftime.

Despite this, Easts still had all the momentum going into the break, which was killed off in the first ten minutes of the second 40 (as it so often does), so the second half was pretty much a clean slate.

I am glad Saints were so dominant in the second half; so much so, that all of the bad first half decisions became irrelevant - thereby making the overall result non-controversial.

They were that superior, putting on enough points, and enough of a stamp on the whole game, that to crap on about Refs costing the Roosters the match is ludicrous.

As far as the penalty count goes; Roosters were the ones going for the big hits, the late charges etc - they were playing a more aggressive game, and deserved to be on the wrong end of the penalty count. By how much is debatable, but again, Saints in the second half put the result beyond question.

Also, as mentioned above, you can not blame the ref for killing Easts momentum, as the natural occurence of halftime did this in any event.

Hats off to Saints, deserved premiers. To Roosters fans who are still harping on: grand final losses are hard (as any Eels fan would know), but you are misdirecting your energies in the wrong place.

scruffy

Juniors
Checked this post for the first time today, simply out of disbelief that it is over a week later, and the argument is still raging.

As an Eels supporter, I got behind Easts for the Brian Smith factor, and granted, there were a couple of dodgy and costly calls against Easts/for Saints in the first half which would have seen a different scoreline at halftime.

Despite this, Easts still had all the momentum going into the break, which was killed off in the first ten minutes of the second 40 (as it so often does), so the second half was pretty much a clean slate.

I am glad Saints were so dominant in the second half; so much so, that all of the bad first half decisions became irrelevant - thereby making the overall result non-controversial.

They were that superior, putting on enough points, and enough of a stamp on the whole game, that to crap on about Refs costing the Roosters the match is ludicrous.

As far as the penalty count goes; Roosters were the ones going for the big hits, the late charges etc - they were playing a more aggressive game, and deserved to be on the wrong end of the penalty count. By how much is debatable, but again, Saints in the second half put the result beyond question.

Also, as mentioned above, you can not blame the ref for killing Easts momentum, as the natural occurence of halftime did this in any event.

Hats off to Saints, deserved premiers. To Roosters fans who are still harping on: grand final losses are hard (as any Eels fan would know), but you are misdirecting your energies in the wrong place.

Thanks for that, I feel much better now that the voice of reason has made me realise how misdirected my frustrations have been. It feels good to now know that going into the second half 12-0 up would have made no difference to the way the second half would have played out. Cheers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks for that, I feel much better now that the voice of reason has made me realise how misdirected my frustrations have been. It feels good to now know that going into the second half 12-0 up would have made no difference to the way the second half would have played out. Cheers.
See Scruffs, that wasn't so hard now, was it?

Your sarcasm aside . . . it likely wouldn't have made a pinch of sh*t difference to the end result.

Dragons turned on one of their best 40 minutes they were capable of, and regardless of 12-0 (don't know where this other 4 comes from? Surely not that forward pass that was correctly called back???), or 8-6, Dragons would have been lifting the trophy in either scenario.

Zoggy

Juniors
I heard from a very very reliable source that if this thread reaches 100 pages Gallop will reverse the decision and claim the Roosters as Premiers.

aussie7798

First Grade
just out of curiosity could anyone tell me in the entire history of the game when a player has been deemed to have stripped the ball with his thigh

any examples ever apart from this game.

SET2JT

Juniors
just out of curiosity could anyone tell me in the entire history of the game when a player has been deemed to have stripped the ball with his thigh

any examples ever apart from this game.
What i want to know is, if you can strip the ball with your thigh, can you score a try by grounding the ball with your thigh?

Jason Maher

Immortal
Look, there is no doubt that we were ripped by the refs in the first half. And if the GF was still being played im pretty sure we still wouldn't have received a penalty for off-side of intereference in the play the ball.

But...

The fact remains that we still led 8-6 at half-time despite all the horrible calls against us. An amazing effort.

What changed in the 2nd half though was our own performance. We seemed to drop more ball, made very few metres through the forwards and let in some soft tries.

Had we maintained our effort for the full 80 minutes then perhaps we would have won. But we'll never know because as much as Archer and the touchy raped us in the first 40 minutes, we raped ourselves even more in the 2nd 40 minutes...

And there was no way we were going to win by not playing outstanding football for 80 minutes. Not even 75 minutes, let alone 40; because the Dragons are a relentless juggernaut who fight for every inch and in every collision for the entire match.

We couldn't match that. No doubt because we're still abit too young and raw as a team. They on the other hand were at the end of two years hard work which led to their Premiership performance in that 2nd half.

That was the difference in the end. More so than the refs...

I can recall one bad decision against the Roosters in the first half: Morris stepping on the sideline before he passed it. What were all the other horrible calls you refer to?

Lol.

That was the only time we looked like receiving a penalty in the first 75 minutes of the match. Don't take that one off us!

It was high. It was a penalty. Certainly more so than when Conn grazed Weymans fat head two feet off the ground before he drove it into the ground and knocked himself out.

No qualms with that particular call. It did bounce up off the ball, but most of those get pinged these days.

Conn did more than just graze him, and besides which, a swinging arm doesn't need to connect to be penalised. The hit was late in any case, swinging arm or no swinging arm.

With respect, the Roosters didn't lose by 2 points in the last 2 minutes to the biggest call in Grand Final history (which, alas, was correct) after leading 14-0 at half time. That'd do any fan of any team's head in.

Again all these mysterious firts half calls. I've read a lot of whinging from Roosters fans, and the calls they are whinging about happened in the second half, except for the Morris incident, and Conn's swinging arm (which was a correct call). We copped the majority of the raw prawn decisions in the first half, they copped them in the second.

20knights10

Juniors
With respect, the Roosters didn't lose by 2 points in the last 2 minutes to the biggest call in Grand Final history (which, alas, was correct) after leading 14-0 at half time. That'd do any fan of any team's head in.
With all due respect, that comment was made in response to an assumption that it was petty complaining about a GF result a mere 8 days after the fact. Having long ago been a member of the WORL msn group I found the comment ironic. And yes it was the correct call but it didn't keep the vast majority of Dragon supporters from continuing to moan about it until this very day. Maybe vast majority is a bit harsh, but there certainly aren't many who will come out and declare that it was the correct decision.

Jason Maher

Immortal
How can the Roosters fans possibly complain though? We belted them off the park. Did we (or Tony Archer) force them to drop so much ball and miss so many tackles after half time? To legitimately bitch about the ref, you have to have at least put up a fight. The Roosters packed it in in the second 40. If they'd lost by 2 points, they'd have a leg to stand on. But they didn't, they lost by 24 points. End of.

As for 99, the only thing that was going to wipe the pain of that defeat was another premiership. We have that now, so '99 can be consigned to the pages of rugby league history. It no longer bothers me, and I suspect that is the case for most Saints fans.

CMUX

How can the Roosters fans possibly complain though? We belted them off the park. Did we (or Tony Archer) force them to drop so much ball and miss so many tackles after half time? To legitimately bitch about the ref, you have to have at least put up a fight. The Roosters packed it in in the second 40. If they'd lost by 2 points, they'd have a leg to stand on. But they didn't, they lost by 24 points. End of.

As for 99, the only thing that was going to wipe the pain of that defeat was another premiership. We have that now, so '99 can be consigned to the pages of rugby league history. It no longer bothers me, and I suspect that is the case for most Saints fans.

You mean a maiden premiership for St george Illawarra....

http://www.rl1908.com/clubcomps/titles.htm

NRL recognises St George Illawarra (est 1999) and St George (1921-98) as different clubs

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

I love how desperate you pathetic Easts fans are to find any way you can to discredit Saints' premiership...

I suppose we could say with the Roosters becoming the Sydney Roosters in 2000, that they've only won the one premiership in 2002.

But now we're getting picky, aren't we?

CMUX

:lol:

I love how desperate you pathetic Easts fans are to find any way you can to discredit Saints' premiership...

I suppose we could say with the Roosters becoming the Sydney Roosters in 2000, that they've only won the one premiership in 2002.

But now we're getting picky, aren't we?

Maybe you should actually read and understand what I am saying. I am not discrediting the premiership, they deserved to win, the argument is about how many premierships the St George Illawarra Dragons have won.

Your argument about the Sydney Roosters name change is totally irrelevant, they have been registered with the NSWRL under the same name since 1908, the Sydney Roosters is merely a marketing term as opposed to a separate club, exactly the same as when Bulldogs changed their name.

You are a bulldogs fan aren’t you… or are you still on the bandragon?? Does that mean your “team” has won 24 premierships?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maybe you should actually read and understand what I am saying. I am not discrediting the premiership, they deserved to win, the argument is about how many premierships the St George Illawarra Dragons have won.

Your argument about the Sydney Roosters name change is totally irrelevant, they have been registered with the NSWRL under the same name since 1908, the Sydney Roosters is merely a marketing term as opposed to a separate club, exactly the same as when Bulldogs changed their name.

You are a bulldogs fan aren’t you… or are you still on the bandragon?? Does that mean your “team” has won 24 premierships?

Hook line and sinker.

If you're not trying to discredit the premiership, then I have two questions:

1. Why are you still hounding their fans in this thread? It's not a good look and it makes yourself and your fellow supporters look like you've got the worst case of sour grapes in sporting history.

2. Why do you care if they're celebrate #1, #16 or #40billion? It's their prerogative how they celebrate. The club, regardless of who owns what share, has a long and proud history dating back to 1999, 1982 and 1921. Whether the record books erase certain feats or consign them to a different heading, they don't erase memories of men who lived through 1979 or any of the prior premierships. Your continued insistence that it's "number 1" only embarrasses you and makes it look like you can't handle a Grand Final loss.

Of course I don't expect a genuine, eyes-open response from this, just another "you hopped on the bandwagon" shot. To that I say - of course I f**king did. It'll be a cold day in hell before I hope the Roosters win a grand final.

Latest posts