What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

_Johnsy

Referee
Personally I couldn't give a flying f**k what anyone else thinks regarding our premiership count. I am also surprised that supporters of other clubs actually give a f**k what some dragons fans think, let it go. It should make no difference to you.

What does irk me is geniuss trying to mock, devalue our teams efforts & success in 2010.

Does it really annoy people that much we won a much deserved premiership in 2010?

Who's devalued it Johnsy, you guys belted the Roosters and were the best team all year by quite a margin.

We just lol @ the fact that your claiming St George Dragons, Illawarra Steels, and St George-Illawarra Dragons all get credited with a premiership.

_Johnsy

Referee
Who's devalued it Johnsy, you guys belted the Roosters and were the best team all year by quite a margin.

We just lol @ the fact that your claiming St George Dragons, Illawarra Steels, and St George-Illawarra Dragons all get credited with a premiership.

I suggest you learn to read, seriously.

I did type "trying to devalue". Look at the numerous threads relating to this years GF.

Is english your 2nd language. If you can find anywhere on LU where I have claimed the 2010 premiership for the 3 entities you mention above, Ill happily fork over $100. If not you can retract or dissapear from the forums for a year.

It would be nice if you could actually back up anything you type.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Insaneink said:
As is the other side of the coin.
Lots of Drags up the top of the ladder...desperation stakes :lol:
Yes, we have them outnumbered.

To be fair, we had a head start given the intitial subject matter.

Plus Dragons supporters are pretty passionate about history, so it's to be expected. I certainly make no apologies for trying to educate the foolish. I'm charitable like that.

I'm curious if this is an attempt to tell Dragons fans to 'get out of our faces'? Perhaps that can give the smaller number of dopes some free rein.

And it is weird that we have an obsessive Knights supporter (hated by his own) who cares about the topic more than most Dragons supporters. Doesn't that strike you as a being a tad strange?
Most of us just dont like the lies Dragons fans are telling.....
Most of 'us'? LOL.

Give us a list Barroness.

And you really should write your own material.

Baron Vo Mandor said:
I still dont understand how you think 3 clubs can win a premiership in one day
No one is saying that but you.

I think you really believe it to be argument. Perhaps a product of your lack of ability to comprehend opposing points of view.

I realise that I must have touched a nerve earlier when I suggested you take some more pills. It was wrong of me to mock your depression, and for that I feel some remorse. People with mental disabilities such as yourself have as much right to an opinion as anyone, even when you cannot grasp basic arguments. Please accept my condolences for the terrible year you must be having and I hope the future is brighter for you.

No one is saying that but you.

Willow you are stating.

That it is the Dragons 16th premiership.
That it is the Steelers 1st premiership.
That it is the clubs(St George-Illawarra's) 1st premiership as a joint venture.

That is 3 premierships from 1 grandfinal, its time for the NRL to step in and investigate how 3 footy teams can compete in the one GF especially when 34 players were invisible that day!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Geez lassie, you're really battling with this.

You just have no concept of before and after.

Given the huge amount of moral investment you've placed in this, I've decided that are genuinely confused. I thought it was all for show, but no one can be that thick.

Do you have a church or cult you can go to? Maybe an open minded priest could help.

Last edited:

thommo4pm

Coach
LOL.

Yes you do.

St George Dragons won their 16th premiership on Saturday apparently.
Illawarra won their first 1st.
And St George-Illawarra won their 1st as well.

Its pretty lol from you fine fellows isnt it?

I'll ask you again where I have mentioned once that we won 3 Premierships last weekend?
Here's a better one, show me where I have even mentioned the number of premierships Saints have won.

Dr.J

Juniors
I think in the spirit of this post, we have to accept that multiple entities 'won' the Grand Final, St George-Illawarra, St George Dragons, Illawarra Steelers, Tony Archer, Robert Finch, Bill Harrigan and the two touchies. All of them should be able to take credit for a Premiership win. A bit like when a hockey team wins a Gold medal and they hand out 11 Golds rather than giving each player 1/11th of a Gold each.

Non-Dragons supporters have to accept that the Dragons were the best team of the year and the best team on Grand Final day.

Dragons supporters have to accept that if they carry on as if the refs weren't worth 12+ net points to them on the day that they'll have no cred with supporters of other teams.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think in the spirit of this post, we have to accept that multiple entities 'won' the Grand Final, St George-Illawarra, St George Dragons, Illawarra Steelers, Tony Archer, Robert Finch, Bill Harrigan and the two touchies. All of them should be able to take credit for a Premiership win. A bit like when a hockey team wins a Gold medal and they hand out 11 Golds rather than giving each player 1/11th of a Gold each.

Non-Dragons supporters have to accept that the Dragons were the best team of the year and the best team on Grand Final day.

Dragons supporters have to accept that if they carry on as if the refs weren't worth 12+ net points to them on the day that they'll have no cred with supporters of other teams.
Sore loser.

Pain, agony... eyes burning when you at the scoreboard... fear of turning to stone.

Sore loser.

Are you an honest sore loser Dr J?

Dr.J

Juniors
Sore loser.

Pain, agony... eyes burning when you at the scoreboard... fear of turning to stone.

Sore loser.

Are you an honest sore loser Dr J?

Since St George supporters are claiming their 16th Premiership and you are such a rational cool calm and collected winner with not a hint of dummy spit in you, give me and all of the other sore losers and answer to this question:

In which of your 16 Premierships did you get the greatest help from the referee - the 2010 one just played or the 1963 one against Wests when you paid off the ref?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Give Dr.J its dues.

32-8 minus 12 equals 20-8.

If that makes the sore loser feel better, then I say we throw the dog a bone.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Since St George supporters are claiming their 16th Premiership and you are such a rational cool calm and collected winner with not a hint of dummy spit in you, give me and all of the other sore losers and answer to this question:

In which of your 16 Premierships did you get the greatest help from the referee - the 2010 one just played or the 1963 one against Wests when you paid off the ref?
1963? :lol:

Yes, Dr.J, I am very relaxed, today I watched another replay of the 2010 grand final. Great viewing.

I think you're buying into the old fable that Darcy Lawler corrupted the 1963 grand final. I can say that he did Saints no favours in many games. Well, Darcy passed away years ago and isn't here to defend himself, we can only hope that his family doesn't take offence to your unfounded claims.

But I have done some research on the subject. I actually saw the footage of the game. Have you seen it? My guess is that you haven't seen it.

Anyway, here's a neat summary of the events...

The 1963 grand final controversy – time to put it to rest

On the 24th August 1963, in the days of poor ground drainage, the St George Dragons and the Western Suburbs Magpies met on a muddy Sydney Cricket Ground pitch to battle it out. It was the grand final and the Rugby League premiership was up for grabs.

The ’63 grand final still rates as one of the most talked about matches in the history of the game. For many, it epitomised the spirit of Rugby League when photographer John O'Gready captured rival captains Norm Provan and the much smaller Arthur Summons in a brief muddy embrace at fulltime. Entitled 'The Gladiators', the photograph won many international awards and set the standard as an enduring symbol of Rugby League mateship.

But for others, the match will be remembered for the controversial and match-winning try, scored by Dragons winger Johnny King. Debate raged over the tackle on King and claims that the referee had called ‘held’. Accusations that referee Darcy Lawler had made a wager on the outcome of the game are still being made to this day.

From the opening whistle the 1963 decider was a gruelling affair. The wet SCG pitch quickly became a quagmire and players became unrecognisable as the ground turned into a grey, thick mudheap. At one point, St George five eighth, Bruce Pollard was blinded by the mud so badly that he couldn't pass or catch the ball, forcing him to swap places with John Raper in the back row. Raper set up the best movement of the match when he broke the line and found Reg Gasnier in support. Reg, with a Wests defender hanging off him, sent the ball to Norm Provan who was backing up out wide before finding Johnny King in support who came within a whisker of scoring.

As the match developed, it was clear that Wests had a game plan to target the Saints centre three quarters. Wests' player, Gil McDougall singled out Reg Gasnier and other Wests players joined in. Eventually, Gasnier was bashed out of the match and became a passenger in the backline.

Just before half time, Wests had a try disallowed. Then with only 15 minutes to go and the score favouring Saints 5-3, Johnny King scored ‘that try’, thus creating a sensation in Rugby League circles that was to rage for years. If ever there was an example of playing to the whistle, this was it. With a defender hanging off him, King overcame the slippery conditions long enough to score in the corner.

After the match, the debate continued. King claims it was a simple matter of 'play on' while Wests legend, Noel Kelly claims that King was tackled and that Wests 'were robbed'.

In the midst of the noisy and muddy atmosphere, no one doubted the word of any player. Indeed, the only clear issue was that St George had won their eighth consecutive Grand Final defeating a gallant Wests team, 8-3 and in doing so, destroyed the Magpies’ hopes for the third year running.

30 years later, I had the opportunity to watch the match in full, playing back the controversial try.

The claim that referee, Darcy Lawler, changed his mind and was corrupt throughout the match was utmost in my mind. These accusations have largely been hearsay as most people have never seen the match or have only caught glimpses of it on TV snippets. I looked closely for contentious decisions and found that for the most part, the referee allowed play to flow.

After seeing it several times, frame-by-frame, I think we can put this one to rest. There is no clear indication that King was held and there were no hand movements or hesitations from the referee, who was in good position.

In fact, King hit the mud on his knees, slid away from the tackle, and put his hand on the ground. He wasn't held.

For rest of the match, there was very little opportunity for both sides in the mud. Scrums were hard to pack down with players often losing their footing.

As a final adjunct I was intrigued by another incident which never gets a mention. Earlier in the match, Saints were leading 5-0 before Wests struck back with a try under the posts. Goal kicker Summons had the chance to convert and make it 5-5, which would have been a big boost under the conditions... but he missed from right in front.

Forums Sevens, 17.11.2004

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=92173&posturl=true&page=1#post1077023

Dr.J

Juniors
1963? :lol:

Yes, Dr.J, I am very relaxed, today I watched another replay of the 2010 grand final. Great viewing.

You would have thoroughly enjoyed watching the replay and seeing Morris get the pass away just before he went into touch, watching him not push Perrett in the back, also watching Perrett not get obstructed leading to him to tackling Morris late in the air, watching Dean Young not knock on into Aubusson before he scored, watching Minichiello not get tackled before he dropped a pass, watching the Dragons catch forward passes but not be offside (in fact not be offside for the entire game or do any flops or ever hold players down in the tackle), watching Carney's pass to Leilua appear to be a mile forward, watching St George not have a second dummy half when Fien scored and watching them not knock on the short kick off.

It would make you even happier in watching the game this way that the referee was seeing it exactly the same way that you were.

juanfarkall

Coach
This makes me happy
whine.jpg

Latest posts