What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are commentators allowed to bet on games?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
sterling has been betting heavily on games for years.
97 gf when Albert goes through.
"GO ALBERT"!!!!!!!!!!
So f**king funny

pHyR3

Juniors
obviously the Ch 9 team is pretty shit house. but you guys are seriously overplaying the whole 'greatest ever' thing. They say it occassionally, and a bit more during finals. It's not that big a deal.

It's a good thing they're hyping up the pointy end of the season. Would you rather Gus Gould sit there talking shit about the refs or the wrestle?

And it's a lot better than some inane argument between Rabs and Ray Hadley, or a minute of idiotic laughter that they are so incompetent at their jobs they couldn't take 10 minutes to run some polynesian last names by the players or someone from that country.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
obviously the Ch 9 team is pretty shit house. but you guys are seriously overplaying the whole 'greatest ever' thing. They say it occassionally, and a bit more during finals. It's not that big a deal.

It's a good thing they're hyping up the pointy end of the season. Would you rather Gus Gould sit there talking shit about the refs or the wrestle?

And it's a lot better than some inane argument between Rabs and Ray Hadley, or a minute of idiotic laughter that they are so incompetent at their jobs they couldn't take 10 minutes to run some polynesian last names by the players or someone from that country.

Well we get all that stuff. So whilst a punch in the nose is better than a punch in the potatoes, I'm not keen on either.

I don't think I'm overplaying it and others agree. Honestly, Joey has anointed 503 players as the next big thing, the greatest, superhuman etc. He's a very skilled analyst who I rate in his pre-game work, but he and others get so giddy it feels like a marketing sell.

I'm sure CH9 tell them to wax lyrical and sell the game with superlatives, and it just tastes rotten.

Mr Saab

Referee
Johns starts every other sentence with "I don't think I ever seen..." before talking about a player, a try, a pass, a tackle, a run etc etc etc. - as if whats happened has never happened before in the history of the game. It's like he's in that film "Memento", as the guy who can't ever remember anything about the day before .

Dont forget his fav sayings "He is a great player. He will play origin in 2-3 yrs"
The way he throws it out there every 20 yr old will be playing in 2017

Canard

Immortal
so ur saying sterling is a knights supporter then?

moron?

So him yelling out is undeniable evidence that he is betting?

What you are saying is that people can't enjoy the game unless they are betting on it?

f**k you must have a serious addiction.

perverse

Referee
sterling has been betting heavily on games for years.
97 gf when Albert goes through.
"GO ALBERT"!!!!!!!!!!
So f**king funny

lol, f**k. The entirely Rugby League world besides a tiny peninsula north of Sydney was screaming "GO ALBERT!!!" in that moment, you dope.

Having said that, Sterlo definitely has a soft spot for the Knights. I've been led to believe that he lives in the Newcastle/Central Coast area, and he has generally always loved Newcastle.

The last thing it's proof of is that he had a bet on the match, though. You would have been a very brave person to have money on the Knights that day.

I think it should be encouraged.
And commentators should tell viewers what they've bet on before the game.
It'd be funny viewing when they lose.

eozsmiles

Bench
Sterlo has lived on the Central Coast for 20 years. And everyone hates Manly. So conspiracy #459 is dead.

eozsmiles

Bench
Well we get all that stuff. So whilst a punch in the nose is better than a punch in the potatoes, I'm not keen on either.

I don't think I'm overplaying it and others agree. Honestly, Joey has anointed 503 players as the next big thing, the greatest, superhuman etc. He's a very skilled analyst who I rate in his pre-game work, but he and others get so giddy it feels like a marketing sell.

I'm sure CH9 tell them to wax lyrical and sell the game with superlatives, and it just tastes rotten.

100% correct here, although I'd say it is more clumsy and amateurish than rotten.
The reason is generally a lack of understanding of the instructions (most aren't pro broadcasters or salesman), poor presentation, and some bias from everyone. I'm sure that they look for all the positive parts to a player's game and few of the negatives. They therefore make every player sound like a chance for origin or he has a great physique or great hands (Joey's fave's) and every club can "give the comp a shake". Gus thinks every player aged 20 has a huge future, but he never tells us which ones he has passed on as a CEO. So we are left to think that there are 500 players in line for rep duty and all our clubs juniors will be superstars........

When they pump up one player or team they are alienating all the others and we call them for playing faves. Then next week they are pumping up our team and we're looking at things through rose coloured glasses lol

Plus the footballer code means that everyone is a good bloke on camera. Everyone is a good player and a better bloke when the commentators are talking.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Commentators who are not NRL employees, or employees of any NRL clubs can bet on games.

Lambretta

First Grade
Undeniable evidence. ......

There's a TAB in the members at the SFS

The commentary box is in the members section of the SFS

Before the game at every televised game in the 90's when I was an SCG Trust member, you'd walk past the TAB and see Fatty and Sterlo queueing up to place bets on games

Canard

Immortal
There's a TAB in the members at the SFS

The commentary box is in the members section of the SFS

Before the game at every televised game in the 90's when I was an SCG Trust member, you'd walk past the TAB and see Fatty and Sterlo queueing up to place bets on games

I need something more concrete. Like him yelling something .......

THE CHAMP

First Grade
So him yelling out is undeniable evidence that he is betting?

What you are saying is that people can't enjoy the game unless they are betting on it?

f**k you must have a serious addiction.

look its common knowledge that sterling loves a bet on the ponies.
but u think he doesn't bet on league games.
something he is called an expert in.
fmd.

Lambretta

First Grade
I need something more concrete. Like him yelling something .......

How about "200 on the Broncos to defeat the Cowboys?"

He would have made $3 profit on that bet in 2000

(I didn't actually hear that bet placed)

Latest posts