What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Manly a Bonafide Chance?

JJ

Immortal
Melbourne > Dogs (given injuries)> Eels then the rest - Brisbane and the Dragons have a lot to prove though, and could be very dangerous

they will most likely make the top 4, so i wouldnt write them off, they are a good chance, but they may have a difficult draw in the finals
i think they are contending, but i have never thought they can win the premiership, but then again last year, i didnt think cowboys and tigers would make the GF
so we will have to wait and see.

chileman

Coach
Not sure if we can go all the way but the team is going great guns and dreaming is allowed :crazy: Tempted to bring this thread up if we do win it though, love seeing egg and members faces!

Jasestorm

Juniors
Matt Orford will not win Manly a premiership. They will bow out in week 2, as Melbourne did 3 years running with Orford. He can not handle pressure at the business end of the season. So much of a teams attack revolves around him that if you can shut down his time with the ball, the team will lose.

Please selectors, do not select him for the Tri Nations if you want to win the trophy. A half fit Thurston is a better option.

Cletus

First Grade
Jasestorm said:
Matt Orford will not win Manly a premiership. They will bow out in week 2, as Melbourne did 3 years running with Orford. He can not handle pressure at the business end of the season. So much of a teams attack revolves around him that if you can shut down his time with the ball, the team will lose.

Please selectors, do not select him for the Tri Nations if you want to win the trophy. A half fit Thurston is a better option.

So you want Thurston, who has guided a team to ten straight losses, over Orford whose team has won the last five from six. You're obviously not picking Thurston on form.

t-ba

Post Whore
Orford hardly choked in 2003 and 2004. Unless letting in 30+ points is the fault of your key attacking player that is...

...We'll go further than most think. and that's because everyone has fallen for this 'Orford=Choker' BS...

wittyfan

Referee
Jasestorm said:

It's also interesting to see how much more consistent Melbourne are now with a different halfback.

Ice777

Bench
Nobody once said it was Orford's fault entirely we got flogged by 30 odd. Together as a team we were below par but i'm not basing my opinion on a collective effort because that's not the issue here. It's been widely said by supporters of all clubs except Manly that Ox is a choker on the big stage so that's the issue we're discussing.

All i'm going off is Orford's finals games as an individual were to put it mildly, very average indeed and well below his capabilities. It was put out there for all to see and pretty much everyone agree's that his finals appearances have been very ordinary. Is that choking? Or is it just a coincidence his game was well below par in the finals? Well i guess that depends on who you ask but i reckon 95% of people would agree it's the former.

He may very well come out and play a blinder of a finals series and i'm not saying he will or won't. But even if he does that doesn't change the past and it doesn't change the fact that he's choked in the big games when it counted. Storm supporters should know better than anyone, we had to watch it and live with it :sarcasm:

Ice777

Bench
effnic said:
Orford made cronk look like a premier league player in round 11.

One game doesn't make a season knackers and it also wasn't a final :lol:

Also lets not forget the one big match Ox played this year (city V country) He made Finchy look like an absolute superstar :lol:

effnic

Bench
Ice777 said:
One game doesn't make a season knackers and it also wasn't a final :lol:

Also lets not forget the one big match Ox played this year (city V country) He made Finchy look like an absolute superstar :lol:
Ok then, what about the match that was known as one of the biggest matches in 10 years for the manly club against the knights in front of 25,000 knights fans manly looking at top 3 outright and maybe top 4 at the end of the year. Wtf are you saying that he wasnt under pressure. Go back to following afl fool.

CrazyEel

Bench
Eagles are a great chance IMO, play solid footie and have a honest hard working pack, not to mention a real strike weapon in Stewart. Main reason though is because I think they have really hardened up this year and play tight in tough games.

effnic

Bench
CrazyEel said:
Eagles are a great chance IMO, play solid footie and have a honest hard working pack, not to mention a real strike weapon in Stewart. Main reason though is because I think they have really hardened up this year and play tight in tough games.
:sarcasm: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Im sorry but i swear you have the word eel in your name meaning you are a parramatta fan.

Ice777

Bench
effnic said:
Ok then, what about the match that was known as one of the biggest matches in 10 years for the manly club against the knights in front of 25,000 knights fans manly looking at top 3 outright and maybe top 4 at the end of the year. Wtf are you saying that he wasnt under pressure. Go back to following afl fool.

What an absolutely ridiculous comparison :lol: It doesn't matter if there were 2,500 or 25,000 people there fool, the bottom line is that it was a home and away match. he wasn't playing for a state representative spot as in city v country and his team's season wasn't on the line if they lost.

There's a degree of pressure on every player in every match but to compare a normal home and away game to a finals game is as i said, absolutely ridiculous. I love it when people try and dent my credibility in having an opinion on league just because i'm from Melbourne and by bringing in the tired old line of "Go follow AFL" it's not only been done to death but it also reeks of someone who hasn't got a decent argument/debate to put forward.

The ironic thing is that although i'm a born and bred Melbournian, i'd bet you $1000 i go to see the Storm more often each year than what you see Manly. Do you travel interstate to see them play often? Pfft, you probably don't even make it to Brooky. Yet another ironic thing, Manly supporters having a go at Storm supporters who dare knock Ox, i can't see why you do that, after all we have seen a sh*tload more than him than what you have ;-)

Moffo

Referee
the melbourne forwards will get pounded when the big teams step up a level in the finals...i guarantee it

Ice777

Bench
Moffo said:
the melbourne forwards will get pounded when the big teams step up a level in the finals...i guarantee it

Yeah like we've been pounded into submission all year? :lol:

Do you think every other team are going to step up a level come finals time and Melbourne won't? I can only hope the teams we play think that as well. But in all honsety i doubt they'd be that stupid to even contemplate it.