What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Manly a Bonafide Chance?

Jasestorm

Juniors
Any player would care if their old club gets some silverware as soon as they leave it, it would put doubt in their mind as to their ability. Melbourne could not have gone on a 11 game winning streak with Matt Orford, the pressure would have got too much for him. The best achieved was 4 with him then lost to Souths.
As for rd 11, I expected him to play well in front of his new fans with Melbourne missing 6 players. Inglis, Smith, King, Johnson, Slater, Crocker is a fair chunk out of any team. Not to mention Brookvale is a hoodoo ground.

c_eagle

Juniors
Ice777 said:
No need to go editing posts if you haven't got a decent argument to put across c ;-)
I've already addressed this myth in this thread.

As for the J.J. Giltinan shield, it will be slight consolation if you don't win the premiership.

Ice777

Bench
c_eagle said:
I've already addressed this myth in this thread.

As for the J.J. Giltinan shield, it will be slight consolation if you don't win the premiership.

What exactly is the myth? About Ox being a choker? Well you don't have to call it that if you don't want. It may have just been coincidence that he put in his worst performances at that time of the year. As i've stated, we as Storm supporters took much more notice of how he played than any opposition supporters so it wouldn't have been as obvious to you. As i've also said, he may come out and kill them in the finals, but i'm not talking about what he may do, i'm talking about what he's done in the semi's and i can tell you now it's not much at all.

As for the shield, i totally agree it'll mean very little if we don't win the comp.

Ice777

Bench
c_eagle said:
No one looked at Orford more closely at Semi Final time last year than Manly fans.

Myth imo.

I reckon the Storm fans might have had you covered there somehow and it wasn't only last year we looked very closely ;-)

Anyway i can understand where you're coming from, nobody likes any of their players to be known as chokers, least of all the when he plays ion the most important position of them all. Don't get me wrong, Ox is a great little player and he was my favorite player by far when he was at the Storm, but there's no denying the fact that he played well below par when he played finals with us.

It's not only Storm supporters who saw it, but pretty much every other supporter as well who watched it. Unless of course you have maroon and white coursing through your veins, then he played like a superstar :lol:

effnic

Bench
CrazyEel said:
So what, what's your problem? Just because I don't follow the Eagles doesn't mean I can't have an unbiased opinion on them. You should try it some time!
No its just weird seeing a parra fan say anything positive towards manly even if we won the comp i would still expect you to say we cheated or something, just used to the rivalry thats all.

CrazyEel

Bench
effnic said:
No its just weird seeing a parra fan say anything positive towards manly even if we won the comp i would still expect you to say we cheated or something, just used to the rivalry thats all.
Fair enough, I see what you mean.

Rivalries are good fun but don't blind me or stop me from appreciating a good team. Manly have as good a chance as anyone and if they do win it then good luck to them. I just won't be cheering for them :lol:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I think they have a pretty good chance. As CrazyEel stated they are tough in tight games. I hope they don't but it wouldn't surprise me if they went all the way. Definitely one of the heavyweight contenders.

the bondi spy

Juniors
If you want to talk about Storm myths in semi finals watch Scott Hills efforts vs Dogs 2004. He let in about 5 tries by himself. He might undo all the Storms good work this season in one mistake riddled effort.

effnic

Bench
the bondi spy said:
If you want to talk about Storm myths in semi finals watch Scott Hills efforts vs Dogs 2004. He let in about 5 tries by himself. He might undo all the Storms good work this season in one mistake riddled effort.
Oh no it was all Orford wasnt it storm tools :sarcasm: :crazy:

Ice777

Bench
effnic said:
Oh no it was all Orford wasnt it storm tools :sarcasm: :crazy:

Where did anyone once say it was Orford's fault we lost those finals games effwit? We said he as an individual choked. It's just much more pronounced when your main playmaker loses his kicking and passing games in the ones that count. I should know, i still bare the emotioonal scars of 3 years of ridicule i copped for it :lol:

Cletus

First Grade
Ice777 said:
Where did anyone once say it was Orford's fault we lost those finals games effwit? We said he as an individual choked. It's just much more pronounced when your main playmaker loses his kicking and passing games in the ones that count. I should know, i still bare the emotioonal scars of 3 years of ridicule i copped for it :lol:

You did you goose. You and Lesstar have been saying Orford is a choker since he left Melbourne. God forbid you could call Hill a chocker, or actually acknowledge that the Storm are a better team this year with Gringlis, Turner et al. That backline is outstanding, and if all you can do is blame your former half back for your losses in the finals there is no hope for you. Get over it.

Ice777

Bench
Onan the barbarian said:
You did you goose. You and Lesstar have been saying Orford is a choker since he left Melbourne. God forbid you could call Hill a chocker, or actually acknowledge that the Storm are a better team this year with Gringlis, Turner et al. That backline is outstanding, and if all you can do is blame your former half back for your losses in the finals there is no hope for you. Get over it.

Go back and find where i said Orford has choked SINCE he left Melbourne. You won't find it because i never said it goose. The reason i never said it is because i think he's had a very good season with Manly and hasn't played anywhere below what he was at the Storm. Does that sound like i'm calling him a choker since he left us?

What i have said is that when he was playing in Melbourne he played below his normal standards in finals games. Does that constitute a choker? Well i guess that depends on who you ask. It was only ever mentioned by me how he never performed up to his best at finals time in MELBOURNE and never how he's performed at Manly. Do i have to repeat myself again?

If you also read what i posted, i never blamed Orford solely for the losses as i stated quite clearly, but i'll say it again for the slow ones like yourself who take a while to comprehend things. The issue wasn't how we performed as a team, the question was is Orford a choker in the big games or not so that's what i addressed. If you asked me how we played as a team in a couple of those finals, i'd say below our best. But that wasn't the issue was it? Understand? Fair dinkum it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes :roll:

I repeat once more. I don't think Orford has choked since he left Melbourne, i thjink he's had a great year and have never thought or stated otherwise.

Jasestorm

Juniors
Onan the barbarian said:

This backline is little changed to last year. What's the difference?? The numbers 7 and 3. Where are they now? That's right, the northern beaches.

Scott Hill's biggest fault is he tries too hard at times when we are chasing on the scoreboard and tries to throw the money ball each time he got it in his hands; which was rare when Orford wanted to run each and every play. All playmakers can be accused of that at times. Invariably we were behind on the scoreboard when pressure was applied to the Halfback and passes were grounded and poor kicks put through. Melbourne were not fit enough to defend repeat sets.

I suggest you watch our games from years past a bit more closely before you pass judgement.

Cletus

First Grade
Go back and find where i said Orford has choked SINCE he left Melbourne.

So you thought he was a choker at Melbourne but he isn't now ? Right.

This backline is little changed to last year. What's the difference??

The difference is they've improved with experience. Did Inglis even play last year? If he did he wasn't getting the wraps he is now.

Ice777

Bench
Onan the barbarian said:
So you thought he was a choker at Melbourne but he isn't now ? Right.

The difference is they've improved with experience. Did Inglis even play last year? If he did he wasn't getting the wraps he is now.

My word i thought he choked in Melbourne but only in the F-I-N-A-L-S as i've stated many many times. He was by far my favorite player down here but even i couldn't deny his performances. I love my team, but i'm not that one eyed that i'm blinded to when one of our players has a shocker. As for him being a choker now, again i never called him that because he's had a very good season.

I'm not even saying he'll choke in this years finals because i don't know that as i'm not a f**king claivoyant. But i do have eyes and i know that his fianls series for Melbourne were for the most part very ordinary.

As for Inglis, he sure did play this last year. He played a total of 13 games and scored 7 tries. He was getting the wraps and we knew what the kid could do down here, it's just that nobody took any notice of the Storm up there last year and you finally woke up to how good he is this year.

You didn't even know if Inglis played last year which pretty much sums up how much you know about the Storm. Yet at the same time you're so adament Orford never choked in our finals series. Could that be because he plays for the Eagles now and you don't like hearing that about him? How can you be so sure about this Orford issue when you never even had a clue who Inglis was? Just in case you never knew, Glen Lazarus doesn't play for us anymore :lol: