What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Manly a Bonafide Chance?

Briza

Juniors
Ice You have proven beyond doubt that you have no idea, Your mob won't last 2 rd's in the Semi's - and will be the first side humiliated.

Ice777

Bench
Briza said:
Ice You have proven beyond doubt that you have no idea, Your mob won't last 2 rd's in the Semi's - and will be the first side humiliated.

Why don't i have any idea Briza? Because i don't agree that our forwards will get smashed as they haven't all year? How the f**k has that proven beyond doubt i have no idea? :lol:

As i said previously, i can only hope the teams that play us go in with the same ridiculous mentality. But i don't think we could be that lucky because they wouldn't be that stupid.

BTW Briza, what mob do you follow?

I said at the start of the year that Manly will be a huge chance - in 2007. I think 2006 will be a good year for them, and has been thus far, but they won't be up there holding the Premiership Trophy this season.

They are definitely the quiet acheivers of the comp, and I think with this season under their belt it all points towards a hard charge at the title next year.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
Of cause we are a 'chance'.

I still think we are stuck with the dregs of a disease called 'northerneagleitis'. We use to get flogged week in week out, and never even looked confident.

This year, while obviously winning games, i feel that we pay too much respect to some teams that have had a hoodoo on us i.e. Broncos, Sharks, Dragons, Cowboys etc etc. I think we have to concentrate on playing the game and not the occassion and with that we will come out as a force. Be confident in ourselves and we can win any game imo.

At the moment i only see us as a smaller cousin of the big clubs, and we will need some luck to hold up the premiership this year.

c_eagle

Juniors
I just don't know how we aren't being rated after we've won the forward battle in every match with 2 exceptions this year (Brisbane at Suncorp and the Knights at Brookvale.) Even the games that we've lost, our forwards have won the battle or at least drawn imho.

The so called experts always talk about the forwards winning tight finals, yet that ingredient seems to be overlooked when assessing our side. Who cares though? Let them forget about us until October.

c_eagle

Juniors
Walt Flanigan said:
The Raiders pack rolled the Eagles in Round 1.
Manly thought they just had to turn up to win. They were right, they just forgot to turn up.

We didn't get smashed in the forwards, we just kept handing over possession without Canberra really earning it. Gosh, I'd love to play Canberra again, I really would.

Ice777

Bench
c_eagle said:
I just don't know how we aren't being rated after we've won the forward battle in every match with 2 exceptions this year (Brisbane at Suncorp and the Knights at Brookvale.) Even the games that we've lost, our forwards have won the battle or at least drawn imho.

The so called experts always talk about the forwards winning tight finals, yet that ingredient seems to be overlooked when assessing our side. Who cares though? Let them forget about us until October.

People underrate our forwards no end as well (too small, no good etc) yet we still sit 3 games clear on top of the ladder and only lost 4 games. Surely a team couldn't be in that position with a piece of sh*t no name forward pack could we? :sarcasm:

We may not have the big names of some of the other teams but that means jack sh*t. What matters is who gets the job done and our boys have done a great job so far this year ;-)

c_eagle

Juniors
They said the same thing about the Tigers' pack.

It's like a giant game of chinese whispers. Everyone is looking for an excuse as to why a team can't and won't win the competition and suddenly these hypothesis become gospel.

Orford makes a kick from the sideline to win the game yet he still is stigmatised for being a choker. I can't imagine a situation in 80 minutes of football (even in a final) that could be more testing on the nerves than a kick from the sideline to win the games when 25k people are booing and hissing. It's a fairly lonely job.

The Roosters weren't meant to win the competition in 2002 because Cusack and Cayless were no names, now they're both in the upper echelon of props in the game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
c_eagle said:
Manly thought they just had to turn up to win. They were right, they just forgot to turn up.

We didn't get smashed in the forwards, we just kept handing over possession without Canberra really earning it. Gosh, I'd love to play Canberra again, I really would.

No, Manly did get smashed in the forwards.

I can't wait until we play you guys next year either. You'll be nothing without BK and we'll showcase the best forward pack in years to come. They're all about 20 years old at the moment but they're all hitting their straps already.

c_eagle

Juniors
Walt Flanigan said:
No, Manly did get smashed in the forwards.

I can't wait until we play you guys next year either. You'll be nothing without BK and we'll showcase the best forward pack in years to come. They're all about 20 years old at the moment but they're all hitting their straps already.
Guys like Weyman sure are hitting their straps (and then shattering to pieces.)

Tbh, we've gotten over good forward packs and that's all you need to worry about in the finals.

CrazyEel

Bench
CrazyEel said:
Eagles are a great chance IMO, play solid footie and have a honest hard working pack, not to mention a real strike weapon in Stewart. Main reason though is because I think they have really hardened up this year and play tight in tough games.

effnic said:
:sarcasm: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Im sorry but i swear you have the word eel in your name meaning you are a parramatta fan.
So what, what's your problem? Just because I don't follow the Eagles doesn't mean I can't have an unbiased opinion on them. You should try it some time!

c_eagle

Juniors
Tbh, Simpkins robbed us blind in Round 2 against the Cowboys.

Cecchin cost us a finals spot in 01' when he was the interchange referee after Clarke went down at Ericsson.

c_eagle said:
Tbh, Simpkins robbed us blind in Round 2 against the Cowboys.

Cecchin cost us a finals spot in 01' when he was the interchange referee after Clarke went down at Ericsson.

Not to mention Russel Smith's great performance against the Tigers at Leichardt earlier this year as well. ;-)

c_eagle

Juniors
Sea Eagle Scuba said:
Not to mention Russel Smith's great performance against the Tigers at Leichardt earlier this year as well. ;-)
It's not really relevant.

Smith made horrific calls against both teams that day. We may have ended up ahead, tbh.