What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Newcastle the 2008 version of the 2005 Tigers?

wittyfan

Referee
I don't think the top three teams going into the finals will fold like they did in 2005, so no I can't see the Knights doing it.

Twigg

Juniors
Next week the Knights play the Storm at OP. That will be a real test for them.

Comparing them to the 2005 Tigers is a bit too early now. Anything can happen.

badav

Bench
Boo hoo - we (Titans) were the flavour of the week last week and holders of the 2005 Tigers tag :(

Every time a team wins a few games by playing entertaining and throwing the ball around they fast become labelled "tigers of 2005".

it became a cliche a long time back.

Serc

First Grade
Well said...we haven't peaked yet! We have played well but there is significant improvement to come, it may come this year and we'll have an effect on the finals, or next year...who knows.

tiger_nick

Bench
youve gotta give credit to newcastle and brian smith. they have one genuine star (kurt gidley) a number of solid first graders and a heap of rejects from other teams. they have been brought together and are playing with a lot of pride and confidence.

can they keep it up and push towards the finals? im not sure, but they'll definitely be in the mix. probably a 6th-8th finish for mine.

youve gotta give credit to newcastle and brian smith. they have one genuine star (kurt gidley) a number of solid first graders and a heap of rejects from other teams. they have been brought together and are playing with a lot of pride and confidence.

can they keep it up and push towards the finals? im not sure, but they'll definitely be in the mix. probably a 6th-8th finish for mine.

Buderus?
Cross?
Simpson?
Mullen?

macavity

Referee
Bedsy is still a star. still more important to our team than any other player, including kids.

Moffo

Referee
i dont think its so much the stars, its the patersons, houstons, naqiamas etc that are pushing this team forward. these guys are hungry and ready to play. smith thrives on players like this, always has

sorry im not eliminating them from my premiership chances list, no way

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Newcastle have a problem that most other teams wish they had - 4 pretty damned good halves going for 2 positions. Mullen, Dureau, Bailey and Walsh.

Serc

First Grade
Yep and to make matters worse, it appears Walsh is in career best form in NSW Cup and is actually fit this year...and you all know we saw some decent stuff from him last year.

We also have one of the best 1, 6, 7 & 9 combos in the comp too.

Anyway don't too many of you start rating us now, we prefer to be written off as 'most likely to get the spoon' and remain under the radar :p

Jono078

Referee
Yep and to make matters worse, it appears Walsh is in career best form in NSW Cup and is actually fit this year...and you all know we saw some decent stuff from him last year.

We also have one of the best 1, 6, 7 & 9 combos in the comp too.

Anyway don't too many of you start rating us now, we prefer to be written off as 'most likely to get the spoon' and remain under the radar :p

I look at that and smile, everyone said once Johns went we would, and to think our 1, 6, 7 & 9 are up there with the best, makes me real happy.

sydraider

First Grade
The tigpies in 05 were the steven bradbury's of the nrl.

In 05, the eels and dragons fell over, whilst the cowboys were stupid enough to get their hands on Brett Firman who collapsed any chance of the cowboys winning that game.

Credit where its due though, the tigpies played some entertaining footy in 05.

The knights in 08, some exciting prospects, a team back on the way up if all goes to plan, however, there will be no steven bradbury fairytale this year, I cant see them beating the Broncos or the Storm, whom at this point in the season are the teams to beat.

Latest posts