What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Taught a lesson by a team that's been there and won it before, will be interesting to see how they respond.

Think the game highlighted issues that have been around but haven't been magnified too often in the past month or so. Everingham has had a much better season than he had any right to but he's a weak link out-wide & can be exposed either through poor handling or inconsistent defence. I also think their forward pack is fairly meek, Sam Burgess is the only quality player in the tight games, Taylor seems to go missing or come up with brain explosions when the pressure is on him.

Adding GI & Luke to the starting line-up will definitely help but I just don't think 2012 is their year as far as winning #21 is concerned. Still, they should be proud of this season, they've done better than expected.

Souths really are missing Inglis, he may be the spark that will see them go a little further into the finals, but without him against a good side, they looked devoid of ideas.

Frailty

First Grade
The scoreline flattered souths... Can you imagine if the wind wasn't there and Lyon converted?

The final score would have been 31-6.

Noa

First Grade
Evringham is copping alot of stick (rightly so) but Farrell made some ordinary decisions last night.

Personally I wouldn't put too much stock in last nights result either way.

As I said to my fantatical Souths supporting mate; I'll believe Souths are the real deal when I see them earn a Grand Final Berth.

For now, everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Personally I wouldn't put too much stock in last nights result either way.

Yep, if anything it was a good match for Souths to understand where they are weak, and see what sort of level they need to start playing at if they want to go further this year. A few weeks to correct those problems may be all they need.

Danish

Referee
Deer in the headlights stuff last night by Souths. Hard to be too harsh on them though as manly have grand finalist written all over them.

Got another top 8 side next week in Cronulla. If they fluff that one too then the wheels may be falling off

Yep, if anything it was a good match for Souths to understand where they are weak, and see what sort of level they need to start playing at if they want to go further this year. A few weeks to correct those problems may be all they need.

could not have said it better myself

last night was another stepping stone for the future

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Let's be honest, I think the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs have blown their wads.

Of the two of them, I think the Bulldogs have the best chance, but i'd only suggest that if they have a loss in the next couple of weeks and then win agin. When was the last time a team won 17 games in a row?

Canterbury 2002. Ended a week before Cap Rort was exposed.

Munky

Coach
You could say last night showed Souths up, however I remember back to 03 when the Roosters gave us a massive touch up at home a few weeks out from the finals.

The players now know what will be instore for them in a few weeks and can begin the mental preparation.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They've had injuries, and suspensions to key players at varying times during the year. Both Sam and Luke Burgess have had long stints out, Roy Asotasi has been out for most of the season, Inglis has missed 5 games to origin and suspension, Luke has missed 4 games to suspension.

Yet they've continued to win.

Every team has injuries to be honest. Canterbury have lost two halfbacks this season (Hodkinson early on, Keating for the last fortnight), yet have kept themselves in pole position. Plus Kasiano has missed a few weeks as well.

I think the comparison with the dogs is unfair when one considers at what time the dogs have played the other top 4 sides they've defeated.

In round 20 they beat a Manly side without Brett Stewart.
In round 16 they beat a Melbourne side without Billy Slater.
This weekend is the first time they play brisbane, who have just been beaten by Canberra and Parramatta.

Now this isn't to take away from the Dogs form. They've been great no doubt, for the majority of the season. More importantly, they've improved out of sight. They've also had really solid wins against inform Cowboys, Dragons, warriors and Tigers at important intervals. But so have souths.
You play what's in front of you - fact. The Bulldogs have got stuck in when it's mattered and defeated the teams they've played. Manly were practically full strength bar Stewart if I recall correctly in R20. The Dogs also had only 15 men available by the 20th minute. Souths have been similar but I'd argue they've had far lower quality opposition to overcome in the last month or two.

For reference though, let me illustrate the last six weeks for each side (not including last night):

Bulldogs
def Storm (1st) 20-4
BYE
def Tigers (8th) 32-20
def Eels (16th) 32-12
def Manly (5th) 20-12
def Cowboys (4th) 32-18
def Knights (9th) 26-10

Souths
lost to Brisbane (3rd) 26-12
def Penrith (15th) 38-12
def Knights (12th) 34-14
def Roosters (12th) 24-22
def Dragons (10th) 36-14
def Tigers (8th) 32-6
def Titans (8th) 22-18

The two games between the dogs and souths were both high quality games, and the reality was there was a trounce of luck between the two sides in both. But some of the games they've lost. Against Newcastle, against the Gold Coast, those are games that make you wonder if the dogs can really show up on the day against a team ready to play.
The same can be said for every team in the league. The losses you've referenced happened in Rounds 4 and 10, by the way.

Souths' losses have come against the roosters (round one- should never have lost that game), Melbourne (round two, who went on to win 10 straight), brisbane (round 4- in perth 2nd game against an opposition who won the next 6 straight), Warriors (in NZ with a severely depleted forward pack) Bulldogs (see above) and brisbane a second time (without Burgess and King, most importantly, against a mountain of possession against Brisbane side only missing Hannant).
This is what I don't get. "The Bulldogs losses make you wonder" but Souths losses all have excuses...

Both teams could be found out come finals time. That's what it comes down to, whether they both life.

Another stat I might point out, wins against top four sides:

Souths v Manly, Melbourne and Canterbury: 1/4
Bulldogs v Souths, Manly and Melbourne: 3/6

seaeagle sam

Every team has injuries to be honest. Canterbury have lost two halfbacks this season (Hodkinson early on, Keating for the last fortnight), yet have kept themselves in pole position. Plus Kasiano has missed a few weeks as well.

You play what's in front of you - fact. The Bulldogs have got stuck in when it's mattered and defeated the teams they've played. Manly were practically full strength bar Stewart if I recall correctly in R20. The Dogs also had only 15 men available by the 20th minute. Souths have been similar but I'd argue they've had far lower quality opposition to overcome in the last month or two.

For reference though, let me illustrate the last six weeks for each side (not including last night):

Bulldogs
def Storm (1st) 20-4
BYE
def Tigers (8th) 32-20
def Eels (16th) 32-12
def Manly (5th) 20-12
def Cowboys (4th) 32-18
def Knights (9th) 26-10

Souths
lost to Brisbane (3rd) 26-12
def Penrith (15th) 38-12
def Knights (12th) 34-14
def Roosters (12th) 24-22
def Dragons (10th) 36-14
def Tigers (8th) 32-6
def Titans (8th) 22-18

The same can be said for every team in the league. The losses you've referenced happened in Rounds 4 and 10, by the way.

This is what I don't get. "The Bulldogs losses make you wonder" but Souths losses all have excuses...

Both teams could be found out come finals time. That's what it comes down to, whether they both life.

Another stat I might point out, wins against top four sides:

Souths v Manly, Melbourne and Canterbury: 1/4
Bulldogs v Souths, Manly and Melbourne: 3/6

Good points Tim.

Personally, I'm more worried about Canterbury and Melbourne. I'm not writing The Bunnies off, they need to take the right things away from last night's game.

One thing of note from last night. Even though we won convincingly, I'm not sure we are playing anywhere near 100%. I think Manly, Doggies and the Storm can go up a level in form. Not sure if Souths can.

I don't think you can write Souths off after one game, they'll bounce back and at least make it to the preliminary final if not grand final.

RWB

Bench
I just don't think Souths have the forward pack to win a Grand Final, their prop rotation has to be one of the worst in the comp and unless Asotasi has found his old form he's not going to improve that.

natheel

Coach
I just don't think Souths have the forward pack to win a Grand Final, their prop rotation has to be one of the worst in the comp and unless Asotasi has found his old form he's not going to improve that.

a team in the top 4 would need to have a very good pack. On paper Souths would appear to have a weak pack but tbh they have really done well this year. The Burgess boys are playing very well

Rabbitude

Juniors

Deer in the headlights stuff last night by Souths. Hard to be too harsh on them though as manly have grand finalist written all over them.

Got another top 8 side next week in Cronulla. If they fluff that one too then the wheels may be falling off

:clap:

Two excellent posts.

Well said guys

RWB

Bench
a team in the top 4 would need to have a very good pack. On paper Souths would appear to have a weak pack but tbh they have really done well this year. The Burgess boys are playing very well

Luke's a very limited player imo.

I just think all their field position is controlled by a strong kicking game and their go forward is all on the back of Luke, Burgess & Taylor. They're a strong defensive outfit, there's enough creative spark but my main question is over how well they'll control field position against the top teams and last night didn't really answer that if anything it just confirmed my suspicions. Really Manly could've and should've scored more points last night.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Good points Tim.

Personally, I'm more worried about Canterbury and Melbourne. I'm not writing The Bunnies off, they need to take the right things away from last night's game.

One thing of note from last night. Even though we won convincingly, I'm not sure we are playing anywhere near 100%. I think Manly, Doggies and the Storm can go up a level in form. Not sure if Souths can.
We could not played any worse than last night. So I would say we have more upside based on last nights performance. But you know Manly were very good and really never allowed souths to get into the contest. We are a different beast with GI at the back. I hope the bunnies respond well next week against the sharks.