What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we going to lose Moltzen?

R2Coupe

Juniors
Moltzen does have a long kicking game which was demonstrated for Balmain. He also always took the right option in attack, if there was something on send it wide or if not, retain the ball.

With the ball in hand he always caused problems for the defence.

I really can't understand why so many are suggesting he goes. He hasn't played that many NRL matches.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
he's played 47 games, not bad considering he missed an entire season last year

DanOz

Juniors
Moltzen does have a long kicking game which was demonstrated for Balmain. He also always took the right option in attack, if there was something on send it wide or if not, retain the ball.

I really can't understand why so many are suggesting he goes. He hasn't played that many NRL matches.

I would love to see him in the 7, but since Supercoach wont play him its probably in his best interests to leave. Playing out of position is not doing him any favours, he is downright terrible at fullback and fails to shine in the centres. Would rather see him realise his potential elsewhere than continue to underachieve with us.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
When Mollzen first came into FG our super coach Sheens said how he had the longest and best boot in the club. Well on the few times he has kicked he has certainly never shown any super ability

Had to laugh at that comment, if he has a long kicking game why have we never seen it in FG?

westie

Bench
Moltzen would be a good fit at the Panthers where Walsh does most of the organising and kicking. Burns is a decent defender but that is about it, Moltzen under Gould would blossom into a very good five eighth in my opinion

Moltzen is just the kind of player Penrith need to get rid of. Too many softies out that way. If even 1 more bloke there had the heart of Luke Lewis they'd have done us over easily. Moltzen is a luxury player. They need some steel.

R2Coupe

Juniors
With the Penrith coaching position vacant, perhaps you can submit your CV. Obviously you know more than our coaching staff.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
I watched Moltzen from the Grandstand on Saturday night & it was fair to say his effort & work rate was woeful. He seems to not want to be there? Alternatively, Brown, who was playing outside Moltzen, was involved & went looking for work. Ayshford would chase the play to the other side of the field to touch the ball.

There were plenty of opportunities for Moltzen to take a hit-up, but he seemed to 'hide' in behind the other players & look at the grass, every time the play was near.

I'm not rubbishing the guy, as he does have talent, but where does he fit into the side?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I watched Moltzen from the Grandstand on Saturday night & it was fair to say his effort & work rate was woeful. He seems to not want to be there? Alternatively, Brown, who was playing outside Moltzen, was involved & went looking for work. Ayshford would chase the play to the other side of the field to touch the ball.

There were plenty of opportunities for Moltzen to take a hit-up, but he seemed to 'hide' in behind the other players & look at the grass, every time the play was near.

I'm not rubbishing the guy, as he does have talent, but where does he fit into the side?
as i posted earlier, he's a five-eighth/halfback

Do you think Sterling, Stuart, Johns etc would know how to play as a centre as well as they played in the natural positions?

Of course not.

I'm not going to speculate on who is better between Lui and Moltzen, but I find it ludicrous that peopleare bagging a player stupidly out of position.

Everyone one of us has always known Moltzen's defence is weak, why put him in a position where he'd need to have a semi decent defence?

Sheens has got to bear the majority of the criticism being hurled at Moltzen.

The team would perform much better if Moltzen was on the bench and we had genuine centres and wingers on the field.

Blackdiamond

Juniors
Fair call Madunit - he's definitely playing outside his position & is more suited to the halves.

For my mind though, that doesn't explain his effort though? What about putting in for the team, wherever the coach plays you? Spitting the dummy because you don't get to play your preferred position is understandable back in U/10's?

Perhaps he will slot into a utility role & add some spark off the bench when Lote comes back? As I would move Brown to Centre.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its hard to say really.

Some players play their arses off in their favoured position but really cannot grasp the play, style, positional, defence etc changes required in another position.

It's not a lack of heart or anything, sometime it's the attitude of "I don't really feel comfortable in what I'm doing, so if I don't do too much, it limits the amount of mistakes I cause the team"

In my opinion, this is what Moltzen is doing. He's much better running with the ball in hand, not receiving and trying to make something happen with the defence already on top of him.

He doesn't have the physique to do that.

And he's barely ever run a line or an angle before.

These things sum up to someone seemingly going missing on the field. Its simple stuff and blatantly obvious.

Ask yourself, how effective would Moltzen be running hard and straight off an inside ball at forwards?

He'd get smashed, everytime.

Everyone knows it, even him.

so why do it if theres no advantage to the team or himself etc?

This is why he's very quiet right now.

Sheens is an idiot for putting him in the threequarter line, you need defenders and strong ball runners back there. Moltzen is neither.

brooksy19

Bench
Sheens thinks he can turn every centre or half into his modern day Laurie Daley, someone whom can easily play centre or halves.. only problem is Daley could tackle and had some size about him..

Sheens is a dumb ass.

Borat.

Juniors
atleast he is not at fullback...only cost us 1 try this weel - pretty good for Moltz

The Daily Telegraph - Fri 01 Jul.

Another week, another contracted Tiger linked to a rival club.
Granted permission to negotiate elsewhere several months ago, utility Tim Moltzen is now in St George Illawarra's sights as a fullback replacement for Darius Boyd.

All I can say is, they are kidding and it is a rumour :roll:

Fullback, surely no one at Saints has seen him play fullback and they do have Nightingale.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The Dragons usually recruit well. Perhaps other clubs have a different view of him to some of our supporters.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They will move Hornby back to fullback and have Moltzen at halfback.

he won't have to stress too much as a 7 next to Soward.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The way I see it: Moltzen is a running five-eighth with little to no kicking game or organisational ability. Needs to play alongside a dominating halfback to be effective. He is a good runner of the ball and is pretty fast.

But we have the best five-eighth in the business, so there is little room for him here. He is not a fullback, not a centre and IMO not a halfback either. Or at least not the style of halfback we need. We need a halfback who can take some pressure off Benji and playing Moltzen there simply puts more pressure on Marshall to create everything.

Fordy20

Juniors

The problem is, his skill for Balmain simply hasn't come through at the top level, at least not since his return from injury. I think he needs a change of scenery and a coach with the confidence to leave him the halves to bring out the best in him.

R2Coupe

Juniors
The Dragons forum a post strongly suggests he has signed with the Club. His loss will be felt unlike some of the other losses.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The Dragons forum a post strongly suggests he has signed with the Club. His loss will be felt unlike some of the other losses.

I am not so sure of that. I think it will be more like the Bronson Harrison case where he may go on to great success but due to selection policies he was never going to reach any great success at the Tigers by being played out of position and shuffled around all the time

Borat.

Juniors

his loss will be felt how exactly- he has done naught for the club in 2 years- either thru injury, or being selected out of position ...not saying he cant play but we haven't got anything out of him for a long time....or should I say ever??....