What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we playing finals in 2021?

Yosh

Coach
Just watched the Bloke in a Bar review of the round and here are some key points regarding the Knights

- According to their metrics, our forwards are the second best at making metres in the comp after Parra. The worst two teams are Penrith and Storm.
- However, the Penrith and Storm are the best when it comes to metres made by outside backs. They are killing it.
- Against the Storm, our team made 8 errors (not good at all) and 6 were made by the outside backs. One centre made 4 by himself (no prize for guessing who). Our halves didn't make any and forwards only made 2.
- Mentioned that we haven't changed the past 6 to 8 weeks.

It's pretty easy to see where we are weak. I reckon we take Dom and Mann out of the backs, and we improve the stat ten fold. Dom is forgivable but Mann needs to improve immensely or get out of here. I think the reason Jones was so good that one game in the centres was that he just played without errors and did his job. We need more outside backs who will just do their job. I can see why we are targeting an experienced centre but Gagai is definitely not the answer.

Jono078

Referee
Just watched the Bloke in a Bar review of the round and here are some key points regarding the Knights

- According to their metrics, our forwards are the second best at making metres in the comp after Parra. The worst two teams are Penrith and Storm.
- However, the Penrith and Storm are the best when it comes to metres made by outside backs. They are killing it.
- Against the Storm, our team made 8 errors (not good at all) and 6 were made by the outside backs. One centre made 4 by himself (no prize for guessing who). Our halves didn't make any and forwards only made 2.

It's pretty easy to see where we are weak. I reckon we take Dom and Mann out of the backs, and we improve the stat ten fold. Dom is forgivable but Mann needs to improve immensely or get out of here. I think the reason Jones was so good that one game in the centres was that he just played without errors and did his job. We need more outside backs who will just do their job. I can see why we are targeting an experienced centre but Gagai is definitely not the answer.
Yep, they made the point about how the modern game you see your backs make more metres than your forwards, as NSW did in origin with great success.

Can be a little misleading though because the game is now more open with a bit more fatigue. If you can spread the ball smartly it lets your backs get on the outside and rack up big metres with long runs.

I do wonder how we'd be performing prior to the 6-again rule, our team is built best for the 2010-2019 era.

But anyway, goes to show why it's important we do seek a strong winger and/or centre for next year. Not a Finucane...

Yosh

Coach
Question: Bellemy never makes excuses. Why does his old right hand make so many?

Question: Bellemy never makes excuses. Why does his old right hand make so many?
Because he often seems lost and not knowing what he'll do.
Plus, as is typical with the Knights, they can do well in training and not perform on the day.

Yosh

Coach
Seibold recently said on the 'Game Plan' that Marc Brentnall (Storm Assistant coach, does the attack coaching) was the best young coach in the game. A little stab at AOB who was the previous Storm attacking coach?

Jono078

Referee
Seibold recently said on the 'Game Plan' that Marc Brentnall (Storm Assistant coach, does the attack coaching) was the best young coach in the game. A little stab at AOB who was the previous Storm attacking coach?
He has gotten a lot of praise lately, which is somewhat expected whilst the Storm are setting all-time attacking records, especially after losing their big players over the last few years.

Cameron Ciraldo also gets lots of praise, saying he’s meant to be one of the best young coaches. Might be worth looking at since he knows Newy!

Yosh

Coach
He has gotten a lot of praise lately, which is somewhat expected whilst the Storm are setting all-time attacking records, especially after losing their big players over the last few years.

Cameron Ciraldo also gets lots of praise, saying he’s meant to be one of the best young coaches. Might be worth looking at since he knows Newy!

Wonder if we can go the Storm system with AOB as head coach, Seibold as defensive coach and Ciraldo as attacking caoch.

slotmachine

First Grade
My optimism is evaporating. With the Raiders deciding to pull their finger out and our disgraceful record playing the QLD sides in QLD I say we miss out.

If only we had beaten the Tigers twice.

Jono078

Referee
My optimism is evaporating. With the Raiders deciding to pull their finger out and our disgraceful record playing the QLD sides in QLD I say we miss out.

If only we had beaten the Tigers twice.
If we’re banking on needing to beat the tigers twice to make the finals then our issues are really deep.

Still Nutty

Juniors
For me, the difference between the bottom sides and the top sides is not the number of stars, it is the higher percentage of their team that get up for that one more scramble or last ditch effort than their opposition...until we consistently develop and ingrain that culture in our squad and they demand and expect it of each other, we aren't going to build one of the key foundations needed to be a consistently successful club.

And it is also the difference between the bottom and top sides in coaching - it is the culture they instil...that is why Bellamy and Robinson always seem to 'improve' players that come into their squads...everybody knows their role, they keep the messages simple and they demand and foster a culture that holds everybody accountable to themselves and to each other.

I think O'Brien is trying to bring this to the culture...but organisational culture shift of this magnitude take years and needs to start with the juniors.

I came across this article off the Roosters website re this weekend's game and this talks directly to the mindset and bond that is the focus for the elite level clubs.

This article focusses on all the elements a winning culture needs and absolutely epitomises what makes the Roosters, under Robinson, such a formidable outfit on and off the field. I acknowledge this culture has been developed and built over years....O'Brien, the coaching staff and the playing group need to strive for this at Newcastle.

O'Brien could do worse that getting Aiden Guerra back into the coaching/support ranks to specifically focus on building this culture within the team/club, particularly building this culture with the junior squads - as an old boy, there was no better exponent than him...always looked dead on his feet but always made that 1 more tackle/effort play in the 79th minute - he lives and breathes this mindset and would be a great asset to get some grass roots culture shift happening at the Knights.

www.roosters.com.au

Family at the Forefront as Roosters Build Towards Finals

Sydney Roosters Head Coach Trent Robinson has placed emphasis on understanding family support as a burning motivation for his side after the NRL has given the green light for clubs to reunite with the playing group in their southeast Queensland bubble.
www.roosters.com.au
www.roosters.com.au

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Yep, lots of pressure on that Raiders game now.

If we absolutely suck in that game then put a bullet in us.

Jono078

Referee
As you said, at this stage if we make the 8 it almost releases a bit of pressure of those under it currently. We’re best to go into the off season like a sinking ship so a proper review and action is taken.

aqua_duck

Coach

In regards to the storm and Panthers the reason their backs make so many metres is because they aren't afraid to attack from their own half. It's interesting how teams attack after half breaks or really quick PTB, storm and Panthers use that opportunity to attack where as we normally take use it to gain an extra 5m from the next one out hit up. If you watch the good attacking teams there a very few settlers when they're inside the the opposition 20 where as we normally go with 3 settlers and then pass to KP and hope for some magic

Latest posts