What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arise Sir Russell

ozbash

Referee
Russell Packer will part ways with the Warriors and ink a four-year deal with the Newcastle Knights.
The prop, who came though the club's under-20 system, is believed to have been unhappy with his situation in Auckland and asked for a release from the final year of his contract.
Warriors management have agreed to this, allowing Packer to continue his career on the other side of the Tasman, and an announcement is expected this week.
Fairfax Media understands there are a number of Warriors players on contract who the club is keen to release as the coach, Matt Elliott, looks to stamp his mark on what the squad looks like and also make a change in the attitudes and structures inside the team.
Packer played just nine games for the Warriors this season as he battled through a number of injuries, but it became clear that Suaia Matagi was regarded as the club's future.
Ben Matulino, Sam Rapira and Jacob Lillyman are the other quality front rowers on the Warriors' books, while Charlie Gubb has looked to be an outstanding young talent when playing for the reserve grade Auckland Vulcans this year. Sione Lousi will also be back playing next season after having missed all of the 2013 campaign through injury.
The 23-year-old Packer became an infamous figure around the world this season for urinating on the field when the Warriors were playing the Broncos and it's unfortunate that this may be what he's remembered for as much as the 110 games he played for the club.
It is unlikely Packer will be the last big-name player to leave the Warriors before the first game of next season.
The arrival of Sam Tomkins on big money from Wigan has meant that a great deal of attention needed to be paid on keeping the club inside the NRL's salary cap.
There is also an emphasis from management to hit the ground running for next year.
The late arrival of Elliott and his coaching team to Auckland for the this year's season meant that they were behind the eight ball in preparation, upskilling and formulating an in-depth game plan for the season.
That won't be the case in 2014 and those players not involved in the World Cup will begin training again later this month.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9231209/Prop-Russell-Packer-NZ-Warriors-to-part-ways

shiznit

Coach
I'm guessing whoever does the laundry will be happy...

No more shorts covered in piss to wash...

Skinner

Coach
Newy will be good for him. They will knock the antics out of him really quickly.

Meth

Staff member
Newy will be good for him. They will knock the antics out of him really quickly.

Like they did for Joey?

But yeah, Bennett ought to get the best out of him.

BTW- whatever happened to Evarn Tuimavave?

Meth

Staff member
Russell Packer will part ways with the Warriors and ink a four-year deal with the Newcastle Knights.
The prop, who came though the club's under-20 system, is believed to have been unhappy with his situation in Auckland and asked for a release from the final year of his contract.
Warriors management have agreed to this, allowing Packer to continue his career on the other side of the Tasman, and an announcement is expected this week.
Fairfax Media understands there are a number of Warriors players on contract who the club is keen to release as the coach, Matt Elliott, looks to stamp his mark on what the squad looks like and also make a change in the attitudes and structures inside the team.
Packer played just nine games for the Warriors this season as he battled through a number of injuries, but it became clear that Suaia Matagi was regarded as the club's future.
Ben Matulino, Sam Rapira and Jacob Lillyman are the other quality front rowers on the Warriors' books, while Charlie Gubb has looked to be an outstanding young talent when playing for the reserve grade Auckland Vulcans this year. Sione Lousi will also be back playing next season after having missed all of the 2013 campaign through injury.
The 23-year-old Packer became an infamous figure around the world this season for urinating on the field when the Warriors were playing the Broncos and it's unfortunate that this may be what he's remembered for as much as the 110 games he played for the club.
It is unlikely Packer will be the last big-name player to leave the Warriors before the first game of next season.
The arrival of Sam Tomkins on big money from Wigan has meant that a great deal of attention needed to be paid on keeping the club inside the NRL's salary cap.
There is also an emphasis from management to hit the ground running for next year.
The late arrival of Elliott and his coaching team to Auckland for the this year's season meant that they were behind the eight ball in preparation, upskilling and formulating an in-depth game plan for the season.
That won't be the case in 2014 and those players not involved in the World Cup will begin training again later this month.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9231209/Prop-Russell-Packer-NZ-Warriors-to-part-ways

That's a bit surprising to me. I thought we had plenty of money to spend under the cap.

Like they did for Joey?

If you mean BJ now called Joey he seems to have sorted himself out.

If you mean Joey Johns he was a rule unto himself.

ET was surplus to Bennett's requirements when he arrived at the club.

I'm guessing whoever does the laundry will be happy...

No more shorts covered in piss to wash...

It must be nice to be so young and already have a legacy hey!

Can't wait to get him at the Knights we are short 2-3 big boppers and his a good start, his thuggery will be welcommed as well.

shiznit

Coach
It must be nice to be so young and already have a legacy hey!

Can't wait to get him at the Knights we are short 2-3 big boppers and his a good start, his thuggery will be welcommed as well.
He could be a great signing for you...

Get his head right and pull him in to line and he could be ANYTHING...

Izz

Bench
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Knights-sign-Russell-Packer/85416

Prop Russell Packer will join the Newcastle Knights from season 2014 after signing a four-year contract with the Club.
Since making his NRL debut in 2008, Packer has played 110 games for the Warriors as well as two Tests for the Kiwis.
“We are excited to bring Russell Packer to the Club, he will certainly add power and a real point of difference to our team,” CEO Matt Gidley said.
“Russell is a young Kiwi international and will compliment our current front row stocks. His addition to our squad will also bring further confidence to the team."
The 23-year-old, who was released from the final year of his contract at the Warriors, is pleased to be joining the Knights.
“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Warriors since joining the Club in 2007 but to have the opportunity to play at the Knights and to be coached by Wayne Bennett is special,” Packer said on Wednesday.
“I look forward to joining the Knights in the pre-season and assisting the Knights’ premiership ambitions.”
Packer and his young family will relocate to Newcastle in time for the start of pre-season in November.

I think the pic they have with the story is of Packer from a couple years ago. :lol:

Russell offered some great service but he's in the same league as Tuimavave when it comes to losses to the club.

We already have some good depth (albeit largely untested) in the vulcans and I think Vete and Taylor have big futures in first grade.

hitman82

Bench
Big loss, in terms of enthusiasm and passion for the club as much as his aggression and tenacity on the field. Russell never got near his potential with us, but I have always valued his contribution and will definitely follow and support him at Newcastle.

We now officially have the smallest, cuddliest pack in the comp. FML.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Obviously trying to expand the gang and pick up new territory. Wonder who the first prospects will be from the Newcastle side.

warrior poet

Juniors

tuimavave is in the superleague playing for hull kr.

as for packer leaving, i don't think he will really be missed. i remember looking at the warriors stats for a game (i think it was the start of last year), lillyman, sam rapira and matulino all made 100 metres plus.... packer made about 25!. I think one of the reasons the warriors originally signed him was because of his offloads and metres gained (i think he also had a decent sidestep when they signed him) in recent years he has managed to get himself completely out of shape to the point where he doesn't really have an impact and has lost the skills he used to have... matagi, gubb, vete etc all seem to have better potential than him.

On the form he's had in the last couple of years i would hate to see him ever represent the kiwis again (would like to be proved wrong). Add in what apparently happened at the awards or end of season function and he is someone (along with a few other lesser names) that should be moved on, and probably should have been earlier.

vvvrulz

Coach
Big loss, in terms of enthusiasm and passion for the club as much as his aggression and tenacity on the field. Russell never got near his potential with us, but I have always valued his contribution and will definitely follow and support him at Newcastle.

Mongrel on the field is good but he was never consistent and his attitude problem gets no sympathy from me.

I wouldn't really call Matagi/Rapira/Matulino/Lillyman a cuddly prop rotation, but the problem is we never seem to have all four fire up at once at least not since 2011. With or without Rusty.

Latest posts