What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL is destroying the international game.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
With Karmichael Hunt set to be selected for Australia for the end of year tri-nations it really feels like the ARL doesn't give a stuff about the International game. He is a Kiwi he has spent most of his life in NZ was born there so why does he want to play for Australia. He probably doesn't but with him not being able to play origin if he chooses to play for NZ then there is much more reason for him to turn his back on his home country. Something needs to be done so that players can play origin and for their country or the ARL needs to not let them get picked to play for Australia. New Zealand will have a great team in a few years but if they keep getting picked for Australia because they want to play origin then the game will end up totally dead on an international level. There are plenty of good Aussies around why do we need to pick a kiwi in our team anyway?

In-goal

Bench
SOO has been placed on a pedestal to high for to long i can't wait until test football returns to the pinacle of the game.

England Acadamy have shown the way forward hopefully the Australian selectors will leave them alone.

The ARL is a bloody disgrace.

Hunt is a Kiwi...he's been here slightly longer then Adrian Morley.

I want an AUSTRALIAN team!!!!

taxidriver

Coach
The road was paved by yawnion (look at all the islanders playing for the all blacks and the wallabies have Somo and Rathbone).

League is following the same road and it is a disgrace, Hunt should not be allowed to play for anyone bar NZ.

From what i remember, weren't Bennett and the Broncos behind his decision ?

Karmichael Hunt should be told he is too play for NZ and NZ only. So what if he can't play Origin. I still think Origin should be one game only. That way test footy has a chance to come back to being the dominant rep game.

mightybears

Bench
i agree with the above, but hunt is old enough to make his own decision
all he has to do is call up the kiwi selectors!
if he wants to turn his back on the country of his birth [unfortunately] not much can be done

the real reason:

i suggest bennett is in his ear, as he won't be able to play origin for qld in the future if he goes kiwi! [as the tonie carroll example was a one off]
and this year bennett kept him out of origin, to keep him "bronco fresh"

Azkatro

First Grade
Players in that situation need more of an incentive to play for NZ unless the rules are changed to be more stringent. Someone suggested a while back that they introduce a New Zealand Origin series.. along the lines of North vs. South islands. If they could establish that it would help things tremendously.

Taiwan RL fan

Juniors
How did Tonie Currie play origin footy for qld (eg 98,99) and then play for NZ in the 2000 WC. Also Adrian Lam?

So, why can't KH play origin and play for NZ?
Would be much better all round. When origin was at its peak (1985-1994) so was Test footy.

The thing is...these governing bodies have to regulate themselves.

Its been proven that the ARL and QLD will brush aisde any rules as long as their get a better side togeather.

Brad Thorn, Criag Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt, Loet Tuqiri, Petero Civoneceva......

We need a true governing body and some REAL rules.

When I see an Australian badged team fillied with Kiwi's and Islanders....Im less likley to support them.

And is any of these ****ing official point to union as a justification...I'll kick their heads in! Just because union does it doesnt make it right! :x

Matt M

Juniors
I think Hunt could rightfully choose between either, he has been here for a while and his rugby league playing days have been here. I could understand him choosing either way. However there are some players who make a mockery of the rules (I'm looking at you Carroll!)

nospam49 said:

Its been proven that the ARL and QLD will brush aisde any rules as long as their get a better side togeather.

Brad Thorn, Criag Smith, Adrian Lam, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt, Loet Tuqiri, Petero Civoneceva......

When I see an Australian badged team fillied with Kiwi's and Islanders....Im less likley to support them.

And is any of these ****ing official point to union as a justification...I'll kick their heads in! Just because union does it doesnt make it right! :x

QLD have all these rules because the ARL pander to them and let them pick players whom whilst are eligble under the criteria aren't QLD players really. They let them do it because they don't have the same pool to pick from as NSW and they want a competitive series. Instead of killing off Origin and making Tests the be all and end all.

Southern Rooster said:
nospam49 said:

QLD have all these rules because the ARL pander to them and let them pick players whom whilst are eligble under the criteria aren't QLD players really. They let them do it because they don't have the same pool to pick from as NSW and they want a competitive series. Instead of killing off Origin and making Tests the be all and end all.

And thats part of my point.

Why would the ARL actually enforce these rules when it could lead to lower quality side....and lower crowd figures...and less money.

They wont. The ARL doesnt care who plays Origin. Just as long as the crowds are big and everyone is happy.

Personally, I think a REAL Queensland side would be just as good, if not better. But the ARL are short sighted, selfish and killing the game.

nospam49 said:
Southern Rooster said:
nospam49 said:

And thats part of my point.

Why would the ARL actually enforce these rules when it could lead to lower quality side....and lower crowd figures...and less money.

They wont. The ARL doesnt care who plays Origin. Just as long as the crowds are big and everyone is happy.

Personally, I think a REAL Queensland side would be just as good, if not better. But the ARL are short sighted, selfish and killing the game.

Exactly. I am bored with Origin and would rather see Australia (A true Aussie side) play GB and NZ.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Taiwan RL fan said:
How did Tonie Currie play origin footy for qld (eg 98,99) and then play for NZ in the 2000 WC. Also Adrian Lam?

So, why can't KH play origin and play for NZ?
Would be much better all round. When origin was at its peak (1985-1994) so was Test footy.

Adrian Lam was given special dispensation by the ARL to play for Queensland during the ARL and SL war.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Caroll played for NZ during the World Cup and beacuse that tournament was demmed "unofficial" he was fine to still play for QLD.

As for Hunt, I think nobody would know the situation better than him. If he really wants to play Origing the HE will make himself availiable for Austrlia.

I could't care less if the good Kiwis don't want to play for them, it just means we will thrash them by more!! :clap: :clap:

lockyno1 said:
Caroll played for NZ during the World Cup and beacuse that tournament was demmed "unofficial" he was fine to still play for QLD.

As for Hunt, I think nobody would know the situation better than him. If he really wants to play Origing the HE will make himself availiable for Austrlia.

I could't care less if the good Kiwis don't want to play for them, it just means we will thrash them by more!! :clap: :clap:

Thats a great attitude.

Stuff the long term health of the game...as long as Im happy! :x

lockyno1 said:

Hopefully that last line is full of yours is full of sarcasm. Because if it's not we won't have a NZ to play let alone thrash. The best NZer's should be playing for NZ.