What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

taipan

Referee
Would've preferred to see one of the two new appointees with some business acumen.

Both are career activists/politicians

Smith,Grant,Gallop,Moffat had business "acumen",and look where we're at?

I don't mind Beattie.He has business background by practising law before parliament.

Passionate about the game, and has business and Govt contacts ideal for lobbying purposes.More than I can say about Gallop.The only thing in common :lawyers.

Imagine if we had Clive Palmer with all his business"acumen".

I don't mind Beattie.He has business background by practising law before parliament.

Passionate about the game, and has business and Govt contacts ideal for lobbying purposes.More than I can say about Gallop.The only thing in common :lawyers.

Gallop was a lawyer, not a businessman. Never should've been involved in admin.

And we aren't talking CEO's here, commissioners are there to open doors. Beattie makes sense but I'm not convinced by professor Davis. Already another professor on the commission.

From what I understand Beattie will be the next chairman.

taipan

Referee
Gallop was a lawyer, not a businessman. Never should've been involved in admin.

And we aren't talking CEO's here, commissioners are there to open doors. Beattie makes sense but I'm not convinced by professor Davis. Already another professor on the commission.

From what I understand Beattie will be the next chairman.

That's correct,and the very reason Gallop should never have been involved in TV negotiations ,particularly as it involved his former and semi current employer ATT. He was out of his depth.

Gallop's job as CEO was to grow the game and that also involved getting access to Govt/council grants for infrastructure.On one issue alone he was trumped by the AFL in Wagga .His late response something along the lines.if we'd have known the council was assisting ,we would have done likewise.Then he got the dirts .
The one thing we did get was the GC stadium ,but i hardly think he was the real driving force behind it.

taipan

Referee
or commissioners like Tinkler, Bond and Skase

You do realise the 2nd name mentioned was one of those famous risk takers from Perff.

Would have been great him running the NRL and blowing the lot on fancy schemes.We'd even make the ARU look wealthy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You do realise the 2nd name mentioned was one of those famous risk takers from Perff.

Would have been great him running the NRL and blowing the lot on fancy schemes.We'd even make the ARU look wealthy.
but we'd have the America's Cup!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Time will tell on Beattie, I generally find pollies good at the talk but only if they've been briefed well and their success is largely due to the advisors around them. Still es a rugby league fan so all good there, he'll know the name of Cameron smith if nothing else.

We need some strategic thinkers on the commission, especially after a frustrated Samuels gave it up after failing to be able to inlfeuence the future direction of the nrl as a business.

The prof, well she's female and aboriginal so ticks their diversity boxes, hopefully she brings much more and has probably been brought on to advise on constitutional change as much as anything.

It is cringeworthy the whole "Queensland" thing, how faking parochial is our sport? No wonder it is has a pssant presence in the world.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No idea why your talking about CEO's when we are talking about the games board? You want a mix of business leaders and experts in their field on a board to provide strategic direction and manage risk and governance. It's their job to set strategy and employ the people to deliver it, not run the business. Part of the failings of the CEO's has been a poor strategic leadership of the commission and its willingness to take risk or step outside its box, the CEO quality then shines through, and you are right in that we are hardly blessed in this dept. then again pay peanuts and all that.

taipan

Referee
No idea why your talking about CEO's when we are talking about the games board? You want a mix of business leaders and experts in their field on a board to provide strategic direction and manage risk and governance. It's their job to set strategy and employ the people to deliver it, not run the business. Part of the failings of the CEO's has been a poor strategic leadership of the commission and its willingness to take risk or step outside its box, the CEO quality then shines through, and you are right in that we are hardly blessed in this dept. then again pay peanuts and all that.

Because melad.the common trait I'm looking for his commonsense and the ability to grow the game and extract the best deal out of the Tv stations if possible.
The Commission appoints the CEO now.It was Grant who appointed Smith,then Greenberg.
It will be the new Chairman from 2018 who will appoint future CEOS.
I've already spelt out the requirements I believe is needed to be a success on the board and yes CEO.
The CEO is answerable to the board, and the board in the end is responsible for the CEOs we get and in effect their performance or non performance.FFS you're telling me how to suck eggs.

Yeah well LOL, we paid a king's ransom for Smith,and his high priced underlings, and what did we get? Not much to really brag about .Probably getting screwed in the Tv deal outcome as an example.
We paid Gallop more than Greenberg,and what did Gallop do?

Sometimes you work hard whilst earning scraps ,you get rewarded down the track with bonuses or a jump in salary.I speak from personal experience.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Time will tell on Beattie, I generally find pollies good at the talk but only if they've been briefed well and their success is largely due to the advisors around them. Still es a rugby league fan so all good there, he'll know the name of Cameron smith if nothing else.

We need some strategic thinkers on the commission, especially after a frustrated Samuels gave it up after failing to be able to inlfeuence the future direction of the nrl as a business.

The prof, well she's female and aboriginal so ticks their diversity boxes, hopefully she brings much more and has probably been brought on to advise on constitutional change as much as anything.

It is cringeworthy the whole "Queensland" thing, how faking parochial is our sport? No wonder it is has a pssant presence in the world.

I don't particularly care where they come from as long as they do the job they are required to do.
Grant's biggest issue was not communicating enough and going ahead wham bam like a bull in a china shop.Offering 130% is a classic example of jumping the shark.
We have had New South Welshmen on the board also including Wayne Pearce( decent guy ) and we have been marking time.
BTW where are the bulk of the fumbler's board from?

The point is if the game actually grows and does what is planned under a board with Queenslanders or Calathumpians ,in the end who friggin cares(now Stuart's got me saying it).We want results .

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
For those putting crap on Peter Beattie it was his government that decided to rebuild a new 52 000 state of the art rugby league stadium at the old Lang park keeping with tradition. A plan that was backed by the QRL, Liberals/Nationals wanted to build the new stadium at the old Brisbane showgrounds just crazy............
He was also his government who built gold coast's stadium and its dodgy rip off deal

applesauce

Bench
Beatie was in charge of a state during its most prosperous period in its history, and left behind ageing infrastructure, a bloated public service with no results to show for it and records amounts of debt.

Just what the NRL is looking for...

More I think about the appointments the more it doesn't sit well with me.

As someone pointed out, QLD fell apart after years of Beattie mismanagement. He got out of their just in time so it didn't look like it was his fault but it was. He then tried to run for federal parliament and got a good swift kick up his backside. Nowhere near as popular as he thought.

Regarding professor Davis do we really need a human rights lawyer on the commission? I don't doubt she's accomplished & she loves the game I just don't see the skill set she brings.

We've already had Dr Chris Sarra pushing his politics on the game, now there's another left wing activist to get involved.

Seriously how many businesses out there would appoint left wing activists to their board? Now we have two & a centre left politician.

Teddyboy

First Grade
G
Because melad.the common trait I'm looking for his commonsense and the ability to grow the game and extract the best deal out of the Tv stations if possible.
The Commission appoints the CEO now.It was Grant who appointed Smith,then Greenberg.
It will be the new Chairman from 2018 who will appoint future CEOS.
I've already spelt out the requirements I believe is needed to be a success on the board and yes CEO.
The CEO is answerable to the board, and the board in the end is responsible for the CEOs we get and in effect their performance or non performance.FFS you're telling me how to suck eggs.

Yeah well LOL, we paid a king's ransom for Smith,and his high priced underlings, and what did we get? Not much to really brag about .Probably getting screwed in the Tv deal outcome as an example.
We paid Gallop more than Greenberg,and what did Gallop do?

Sometimes you work hard whilst earning scraps ,you get rewarded down the track with bonuses or a jump in salary.I speak from personal experience.
Gallop might have been a numpty but the funny thing is crowds started to come back to the game in his years as head.

Latest posts