What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d/news-story/9e64e2654c253730f5744ea7f562b161

Peter V’landys says he could juggle Racing NSW, ARLC duties if appointed
9e64e2654c253730f5744ea7f562b161

Brad Davidson & Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
January 19, 2017 6:58pm

RACING NSW chief executive Peter V’landys says he would have no issue juggling his current role with being part of a revamped ARL Commission.

V’Landys, who brought millions of dollars of revenue into the racing industry through the race fields legislation, has been sounded out to join the commission.

As revealed on Thursday, directors Jeremy Sutcliffe and Graeme Samuels both resigned after months of squabbling with the 16 NRL clubs over future funding.

As part of a major revamp, the commission will increase from eight members to nine. NSWRL chairman George Peponis and his QRL counterpart Peter Betros, along with two club-appointed officials, will join the commission. That will leave five more positions.

V’Landys confirmed on Thursday he would consider an approach but dismissed concerns about mixing his role at Racing NSW with the ARL Commission.

“I’ve definitely got an open mind to it but we will just see what happens,” V’Landys said.

“I don’t think there is any conflict there and I think they are both pretty complimentary to each other.

“They are not really in competition to each other and they are complete different sporting organisations.”

A number of clubs have also spoken about Sydney-based former Telstra boss David Thodey.

Thodey has previous board experience in the National Basketball League and his experience at Telstra would prove advantageous as the NRL looks to capitalise on its digital assets.

He is currently the chair of the CSIRO and Jobs NSW and would come to the commission without any potential conflicts of interest.

Former Channel Nine supremo David Gyngell has been sounded out by NRL powerbrokers and influential club officials to take a seat on the board, but has effectively ruled himself out given he has told them he will not cut ties with the broadcaster.

Gyngell wants to accept an invitation to join the ARL commission — only if he can remain on the TV network’s board.

Gyngell had agreed to abstain from any negotiations on future broadcasting deals.

The current TV deal runs for another five years.

But a number of Sydney clubs have expressed concern over Gyngell’s close ties to some of the city’s bigger clubs, fearing they could be left behind.

Positions will be finalised before the March kick-off to ensure a smooth start to the season.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant will remain as chairman but with a strict deadline of February 2018 for his departure.

It appears there is no succession plan for Grant, who only last month finally agreed a deal with angry club bosses over the share of revenue in the game.

Grant miraculously clung to power as clubs won their fight for funding worth around 130 per cent of the salary cap — in principle — and secured constitutional reform where two clubs representatives were assured places on the commission.

I reckon he could handle it too.

Then again a cardboard cutout could handle the rigours of sitting on the ARLC. If anything it would do a better job than the rest have.

insert.pause

First Grade
they wouldn't do it for free and if you want good quality then you have to pay for it
I'm not suggesting they do t for free, but it would be token wages to most of them, It's a prestige thing, increases profile, networking opportunities etc.

insert.pause

First Grade
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d/news-story/9e64e2654c253730f5744ea7f562b161

RACING NSW chief executive Peter V’landys says he would have no issue juggling his current role with being part of a revamped ARL Commission.

V’Landys, who brought millions of dollars of revenue into the racing industry through the race fields legislation, has been sounded out to join the commission.

As revealed on Thursday, directors Jeremy Sutcliffe and Graeme Samuels both resigned after months of squabbling with the 16 NRL clubs over future funding.

As part of a major revamp, the commission will increase from eight members to nine. NSWRL chairman George Peponis and his QRL counterpart Peter Betros, along with two club-appointed officials, will join the commission. That will leave five more positions.

V’Landys confirmed on Thursday he would consider an approach but dismissed concerns about mixing his role at Racing NSW with the ARL Commission.

“I’ve definitely got an open mind to it but we will just see what happens,” V’Landys said.

“I don’t think there is any conflict there and I think they are both pretty complimentary to each other.

“They are not really in competition to each other and they are complete different sporting organisations.”

A number of clubs have also spoken about Sydney-based former Telstra boss David Thodey.

Thodey has previous board experience in the National Basketball League and his experience at Telstra would prove advantageous as the NRL looks to capitalise on its digital assets.

He is currently the chair of the CSIRO and Jobs NSW and would come to the commission without any potential conflicts of interest.

Former Channel Nine supremo David Gyngell has been sounded out by NRL powerbrokers and influential club officials to take a seat on the board, but has effectively ruled himself out given he has told them he will not cut ties with the broadcaster.

Gyngell wants to accept an invitation to join the ARL commission — only if he can remain on the TV network’s board.

Gyngell had agreed to abstain from any negotiations on future broadcasting deals.

But a number of Sydney clubs have expressed concern over Gyngell’s close ties to some of the city’s bigger clubs, fearing they could be left behind.

Positions will be finalised before the March kick-off to ensure a smooth start to the season.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant will remain as chairman but with a strict deadline of February 2018 for his departure.

It appears there is no succession plan for Grant, who only last month finally agreed a deal with angry club bosses over the share of revenue in the game.

Grant miraculously clung to power as clubs won their fight for funding worth around 130 per cent of the salary cap — in principle — and secured constitutional reform where two clubs representatives were assured places on the commission.
This guy has been campaigning for an executive role with the NRL since 2010 through his pal Rothfield.

Nerd

Bench
Apart from having a fiduciary responsibility, people like Samuels who have served on boards elsewhere are exactly what a growing sport needs. Different views, connections, knowledge of other sports administrations including/especially the AFL are exactly what RL needs to possess when strategically planning the future.
Maybe your right but so far we haven't seen to much evidence of strategic planning by Samuels and the current board.

Nerd

Bench
He was a big part in the modernisation of the vfl into a national competition independentLy run for the good of the game instead of the old guard Victorian clubs. He could clearly see the ARLC/nrl has no intention of doing the hard stuff to get to the same position.

The fact you don't like him because he was so successful in modernising the afl is indicative of why rl will remain a niche sport.
No I don't like him because his first preference was for a sport which would like nothing better than to destroy RL. With Origin being the most watched show on Australian TV I hardly think Rugby League is a niche sport... If you're obviously so enamored with AFL why do you bother coming onto this site?

Diesel

Coach
The commission is f**ked. There's certain players behind the scenes taking the independence out. What a balls up the f**king thing is

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because I'm a rugby league fan, who is just a little jealous of how the afl has gone about its business in comparison to the sht administration after sht administration we have to put up with. Samuel had the experience the game needs to take it to next level, sadly those around him from the RL world are so clueless that he was wasted and gave it up in the end. In all honesty based on what you see the commision being and the quality of the CEO can you honestly see RL in Australia being any different in 5 years than it is today?

Re the article and grants miraculous survival, nothing miraculous about it. He caved in and gave the clubs everything they wanted. Why would they want him gone when he clearly has no backbone to stand up to them?

insert.pause

First Grade
John Hartigan is now being touted as a candidate for the commission, possibly as chairman!

Rugby league will never change.
Former Queensland premier Anna Bligh and the man who headed up News Corp in Australia for six years, John Hartigan, are believed to have been offered seats on a revamped Australian Rugby League Commission as the sport’s governing body undergoes a forced reinvention.

A month after a majority of NRL clubs almost rolled ARLC chairman John Grant over a funding agreement, two other commissioners have resigned, a third is not seeking another term and a review of the board’s constitution is about to be delivered.

In addition to Bligh and Hartigan, former ABC deputy chairwoman and University of Canberra chancellor Wendy McCarthy is another name being mentioned as a possible commissioner alongside former Nine Network boss David Gyngell.

Sources say Bligh and Hartigan, both fans of the game, are keen to play a role in taking the game forward as part of the commission. Hartigan currently chairs the Prime Media company.

Yesterday Gyngell declined to comment when contacted by The Australian on whether he would be interested in joining the ARLC, which is now on the lookout for three new commissioners to be appointed ahead of the 2017 season, starting on March 3.

Many within the game maintain that Gyngell would face a conflict of interest as he retains a directorship of Nine Entertainment Co after resigning as chief executive in 2015. The company holds the game’s free to air television broadcast rights.

It is a rare opportunity for the commission to refresh itself after the sudden resignations this week of Jeremy Sutcliffe and Graeme Samuel.

Samuel, a former AFL commissioner who played a major role in shaping that code into the sporting powerhouse it is today, is seen as the biggest loss for the ARLC.

The decisions of Samuel and CSR chairman Sutcliffe to resign were made before a low-key meeting of the boards of the NSWRL and QRL in Brisbane on Monday, where they agreed for a joint demand for a representative each on the ARLC. If the NRL clubs are successful in securing two representatives on an expanded nine-person commission, the balance between independents and interested parties would be five to four.

This could present problems around impartiality as non-Sydney clubs are wary of the influence of Canterbury chairman Ray Dib and Roosters boss Nick Politis, who are already on the board of the NSWRL. The loss of Samuel and Sutcliffe also adds to the uncertainty over the position of Grant, who survived the recent skirmish with club bosses by the skin of his teeth.

Original appointee from February 2012, Chris Sarra, previously announced he would not seek reappointment at the next meeting in February. Advertising chief Ian Elliot left in August last year, replaced by Gary Weiss.

One of the outcomes of the December 20 showdown between the 16 NRL club chairmen and the commissioners, led by Grant, was to change the make-up of directors and the criteria under which they are appointed.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates was asked by Grant to look at all the issues in light of the fact the NRL clubs and the states (NSWRL, QRL), want two seats each. It is understood constitutional changes were not why Sutcliffe, also one of the original commissioners when the ARLC took power five years ago, and Samuel decided to leave.

The pair had argued openly with Grant in front of several club chairmen at the December 20 meeting. Samuel and Sutcliffe felt the game could not sustain the clubs’ demand for grants 130 per cent over the salary cap. They did not want Grant to “give in” to the clubs.

Queensland chairman Peter Betros and NSW chairman George Peponis are expected to be appointed to the commission next month. Peponis retired as Canterbury Bulldogs chairman in 2010. Grant has been talking with the leagues clubs about changes to the commission and its constitution.

Under the current rules, the only female commissioner, Catherine Harris, headed a three-person nominations committee — Grant and Wayne Pearce being the other two — when a new commissioner was being sought.

The committee’s role is to identify preferred candidates for the full board’s and the NRL chief executive’s final consideration and decision.

The commission won’t allow people currently connected with rugby league’s major sponsors or partners such as Harvey Norman, Telstra, Holden, VB, Coca-Cola, AAMI, or Destination NSW to be the choices of the states or clubs.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...c/news-story/f218ff2fd60bf51ef29a0a4126246496

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I still think Smith had the right of it. I reckon he saw that NewsLtd dramatically undervalued RL and decided to play a big hand...

It seems more like JGrant lost his stomach, let Smith take the fall. Then he handed over all of the trump-cards Smith had rounded up and asked News "please be gentle when you f*ck us"...

Think it's a combo of both.
Smith obviously a tough negotiator in the Banking world, but in the media world there is but one top dog Murdoch.Gettiing him offside can be a barsteward.He'll walk over his mother to get a deal done in his favour.
Grant whilst genuinely loving rl,appears to have caved into to Politis and Dib.

The whole thing would not have happened, if Grant had not offered the additional 30% on top of the club grants 12 months ago.The question is why then?
For example if the grants ended up $10m per club, the additional $3m would have gone back into teh kitty:ie 16x$3 =$48m.Thats the diff for your grassroots to get the $100m pa.
If it were me now ,I would have insisted(out of the $3m) that each club contribute $1.5m each pa toward country/regional grassroots where they get many of their players.

I look at it this way, and I may be p*ssing in the wind.
If Smith hadn't rushed into ch9 and instead worked on the old formula ,have 9 and Fox involved together in the negotiations,we may well have secured an extra $200m over 5 years .That's $40m extra to grassroots.

That meant we were behind the 8 ball, and Grant opened his gob too early telling clubs we'll give you an extra 30%,without it appears checking the problems at grassroots level.The club said your word is your bond Grant,and like anyone who is promised a bonus you ensure the person sticks to it.

With both their efforts, we got well and truly rogered by 9 and Fox.You'd think after all the puerile prior TV deals where we were screwed, the NRL would have learnt something.Nope..

It's done now,I just hope the NRL state appointed people and the 2 NRL appointees understand the problems that beset the game, and the need to expand.

If they stuff up the next Tv deal,I'm gonna step in Trump style, to make NRL great again.It's like climbing the stairs and for years we are still only half way up.We undersell,underpromote,and underperform the game.

taipan

Referee
John Hartigan is now being touted as a candidate for the commission, possibly as chairman!

Rugby league will never change.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...c/news-story/f218ff2fd60bf51ef29a0a4126246496

John Hartigan.What the!!!!
The same fellow who at his partner' s funeral of all places, had a shot publicly at Gallen and some fumbler guy..
A News Ltd lackey.Probably get my phone tapped now by News for being critical of him.

Bet he would be sponsored by beetroot face Sloth.Sloth would get many scoops, such as a star player was sighted at an Eastern suburbs cafe,scrathing his balls in front of other men.Atrocity alert.

Diesel

Coach
Independent my ass. So we're getting 2 clubs votes + NSWRL, we're getting ex-Roosters on the board which their track record for the game is self explanatory, we've got Slothfirld's mate V'Landys and now another News Scrooge in Hartigan. You can't script this stuff

insert.pause

First Grade
It's exactly what happened the first time the commission was appointed, every stakeholder in the game clambering to get their guy a seat, stalling any progress until compromise candidates are eventually appointed instead, and we end up back where we are now with a commission devoid of RL experience.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going nowhere because most clubs see the out of touch independent commission they have now as a better alternative to the factionalism this power play is going to create.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Oh, how very generous...

Half his time to half ass the job. SIGN HIM UP, noowwwwwwwwww.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thing im most concerned about. Who picks the 5 "Independent" seats??

Sure all 9 people would be Commissioners but if the 4 club lackys stick their fingers into these seats, they lose their independence too....

If Hartigan gets a gig then I will give up.

Might then have to shout ECT a fresh bowl of soup and throw in a crusty bit of garlic bread to boot.