What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

aqua_duck

Coach
No thanks

Yes he carved up but the Qcup is probably at its lowest ebb in quite awhile in terms of quality. Plus Niu has had quite a few chances in FG over the years and never shown to be consistent enough
You’re probably right, I honestly didn’t realise he was still so young and I tuned in last night to catch a glimpse of Valynce but Niu was the one that stole the show

Knight Tales

Bench
I still think Gus’ conference blue print was brilliant and would make the game completely fresh and lead to a potential salary cap overhaul.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I still think Gus’ conference blue print was brilliant and would make the game completely fresh and lead to a salary cap overhaul. If they could work it so the top conference side goes through and the other spots are decided by wild card eliminators, it would return unpredictability to the finals . While there would always be the sooks who whinge they won more games than a conference leader, yet missed out etc. who cares. That is the entire point. Standard and dull criteria goes out the window.
I guessing that’s based on the NFL format?
There’s nothing particularly wrong with that format but in the US it’s necessitated by how many teams there are (32 teams in NFL).
I don’t think it’s necessarily better than a top 8 system and with an uneven number of teams it doesn’t work.
I guess it’s workable when the 18th team comes in but then how do you divide the conferences up?
My main issue is without a draft some teams can have sustained years of being bad and you risk running into a scenario where you have some really bad teams in the same conference for years on end.
In the US you have a draft that can turn a franchise around very quickly as well as a salary cap so the cycles of success and mediocrity aren’t typically sustained for long periods.

Knight Tales

Bench
I guessing that’s based on the NFL format?
There’s nothing particularly wrong with that format but in the US it’s necessitated by how many teams there are (32 teams in NFL).
I don’t think it’s necessarily better than a top 8 system and with an uneven number of teams it doesn’t work.
I guess it’s workable when the 18th team comes in but then how do you divide the conferences up?
My main issue is without a draft some teams can have sustained years of being bad and you risk running into a scenario where you have some really bad teams in the same conference for years on end.
In the US you have a draft that can turn a franchise around very quickly as well as a salary cap so the cycles of success and mediocrity aren’t typically sustained for long periods.
A draft is something the game needs to make a priority. You cannot claim to have a national competition and overlook the obvious. It gives the best young talent in this country the chance to become marquee players and create their legend by turning a struggling club around. That appeals to the ego as well. It might also actually see the NRL make post season contract dealings a reality as well. So when a player actually announces they are leaving it is not disruptive to the season as a whole. It is absolute amateur hour the NRL contracts. The fines for breaches need to involve comp points. That would end it overnight:

A draft would never work in the NRL for a 100 reasons. The RLPA being it's biggest obstacle and rightly so. It's a no go and shouldn't be pushed

Besides, who wants to see teams tank seasons to get good draft picks? Breeds a terrible sporting culture that sport in this country doesn't support.

It's probably the only thing the NFL does that RL should flatly ignore

Knight Tales

Bench
A draft would never work in the NRL for a 100 reasons. The RLPA being it's biggest obstacle and rightly so. It's a no go and shouldn't be pushed

Besides, who wants to see teams tank seasons to get good draft picks? Breeds a terrible sporting culture that sport in this country doesn't support.

It's probably the only thing the NFL does that RL should flatly ignore
If you tank a season who’d want to play for you. And it is feasible for a top club to get these top young talents. The difference is they have to trade up to get them. Not just walk through the front gate with endless riches.

aqua_duck

Coach
If you tank a season who’d want to play for you. And it is feasible for a top club to get these top young talents. The difference is they have to trade up to get them. Not just walk through the front gate with endless riches.
As someone who follows the NFL pretty closely I can tell you draft picks are highly valued, teams with the top picks typically don’t give up those picks for anything less than a kings ransom.

Woody90

Juniors
And who is going to develop these young players to be drafted? Certainly not the NRL clubs.

This is the only issue I see with the draft. It’s a bit different with the NFL where high school and college football essentially act as the pathways system.

The cost of development to NRL clubs is huge. What benefit do the clubs receive for investing in the development of players that can be drafted to other clubs?

Frederick

Staff member
I'd be interested to hear these 100 reasons.
6gbvgO49T5LSLxt0AEouAvS8GLY=.gif

Latest posts