What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Spot On

Coach
It’s possible that teams don’t perform at exactly the same level every single week. Mind blowing I know.

Um, no, of course not but…

Manly’s form has fallen off a cliff at the moment.

Our form would have looked a lot better if we didn’t let 32 in last week.

Hopefully we don’t perform at exactly the same level in ‘d’ this week and improve in that side of our game.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Certainly another scrappy, big-hearted effort won’t be enough against what’s left of the best team of the NRL era. Next week is one where you’re happy with a competitive performance rather than a win or loss per se.

Jono078

Referee
Watching the Tigers and Klem's 200th game right now. They are incredibly bad to watch. They're playing like how I expected the Dolphins to probably look this year.

It's truly horrendous. Wonder how Klem feels about his move there now.

Yosh

Coach
Weird to be leading thr tackles made and not tackles missed stat!ong may it continue!

Jono078

Referee
Tackles made is not a good one. Gotta figure out why that’s happening. Are we I’ll disciplined which leads to teams getting more shots at us?

there’s something to fix there which will probably tie into our defense looking better too.

Unreal to lead the tackle breaks though. That’s a big one to win and usually that’s what leads to winning position, momentum and points.

perverse

Referee
Tackles made is not a good one. Gotta figure out why that’s happening. Are we I’ll disciplined which leads to teams getting more shots at us?

there’s something to fix there which will probably tie into our defense looking better too.

Unreal to lead the tackle breaks though. That’s a big one to win and usually that’s what leads to winning position, momentum and points.
It's not necessarily a bad or a good stat without context. It could also mean we're very effective at getting numbers in the tackle this year too. Fortunately we're accompanying it with very good missed/inneffective tackle stats, so I don't think it's a massive worry at this stage. We just need to stop clocking off and letting the soft tries in.

Yosh

Coach
It feels like we are giving away a lot more 6 agains compared to before. No stats to back it up though.

Jono078

Referee
It's not necessarily a bad or a good stat without context. It could also mean we're very effective at getting numbers in the tackle this year too. Fortunately we're accompanying it with very good missed/inneffective tackle stats, so I don't think it's a massive worry at this stage. We just need to stop clocking off and letting the soft tries in.
Definitely. Generally though it’s a negative stat, meaning you’re giving the opposition more shots at you throughout the game, usually because of missed tackles, errors or penalties/set restarts.

We have also been in some high octane games and golden point, so gotta factor that in too.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Definitely. Generally though it’s a negative stat, meaning you’re giving the opposition more shots at you throughout the game, usually because of missed tackles, errors or penalties/set restarts.

We have also been in some high octane games and golden point, so gotta factor that in too.
Yeah I am going to disagree there. It's not a negative.

Last 5 years league leaders in tackle attempts and their ladder position:

2018: Roosters (1st), Storm (2nd), Tigers (9th)
2019: Roosters (2nd), Rabbitohs (3rd), Raiders (4th)
2020: Roosters (4th), Raiders (5th), Panthers (1st)
2021: Panthers (2nd), Roosters (5th), Eels (6th)
2022: Panthers (1st), Eels (4th), Rabbitohs (7th)

In every year, one of the grand finalists were in the top 3. In 3/5 years both were.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah I am going to disagree there. It's not a negative.

Last 5 years league leaders in tackle attempts and their ladder position:

2018: Roosters (1st), Storm (2nd), Tigers (9th)
2019: Roosters (2nd), Rabbitohs (3rd), Raiders (4th)
2020: Roosters (4th), Raiders (5th), Panthers (1st)
2021: Panthers (2nd), Roosters (5th), Eels (6th)
2022: Panthers (1st), Eels (4th), Rabbitohs (7th)

In every year, one of the grand finalists were in the top 3. In 3/5 years both were.
You know NRL.com count the finals games, yes?

Woosh

Head Moderator
A couple of things.
The game against the Dolphins where Young made those errors, Newcastle had to make 80 more tackles that day.
The game that ended in a draw against Manly, the side made 400 tackles.
Also, Newcastle are yet to have their bye whereas a team like the Dragons are last on tackles made had their bye in the first round.

Attachments

• EA5E8971-22CA-4AC2-B838-703F8CCE16D9.jpeg
    EA5E8971-22CA-4AC2-B838-703F8CCE16D9.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 74F1ABD3-A6A9-4876-82C8-5EF7A416EB95.jpeg
    74F1ABD3-A6A9-4876-82C8-5EF7A416EB95.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 4

Nuke

Staff member
There are variables, of course, but the only way it evens out completely is at the end of the home-and-away season. That's when we'll see how we truly compare stats-wise.
At the moment, comparisons can only be made with what's at hand, and it's awesome to see the team and individual players doing as well as they are about 1/4 of the way into the season.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Week after week lately I’m seeing playmakers taken out late and then the tackler sent to the bin just like when Hastings was taken out by Kaufusi when we played the Dolphins.
My question is why was Hastings taken off by the independent doctor but none of these other players have been after being hit late?

Knight Tales

Juniors
A couple of things.
The game against the Dolphins where Young made those errors, Newcastle had to make 80 more tackles that day.
The game that ended in a draw against Manly, the side made 400 tackles.
Also, Newcastle are yet to have their bye whereas a team like the Dragons are last on tackles made had their bye in the first round.
And yet we made more effective tackles and missed fewer against the Dolphins and Manly. It tells you our fitness is at or above anyone. It also says once we learn how to control possession more equitably we are going to be a handful. The bye round being brought into this argument is absolutely pointless.

Latest posts