What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Not sure if anyone caught the Qld cup GF today but there’s a young winger from Burleigh named Tony Francis who wouldn’t go too bad.
20 years old, 187cm, 98kg. Scored 18 tries in 21 games in Qld cup this year and averaged 151m per game. Contracted to the titans but pretty sure he’s unsigned for 2024, or if he’s contracted maybe the titans might be keen on another player swap 😉
We’ve got a gun prop/2RF called Brody Jones who we would all hate to let go of but might be better served going to another club for more game time…

Knight Tales

Bench
Will Pryce played strongly against Hoy and Clifford's mob as Huddersfield bulldozed Hull FC overnight. At fullback. Whenever Ian Watson just let's Will play his natural game, Huddersfield generally rout whoever they are playing. That said he has a lot of work to do defensively.

Yosh

Coach
Will Pryce played strongly against Hoy and Clifford's mob as Huddersfield bulldozed Hull FC overnight. At fullback. Whenever Ian Watson just let's Will play his natural game, Huddersfield generally rout whoever they are playing. That said he has a lot of work to do defensively.
Isn't a year or two on the wing a great way to climatize him to Aus and the NRL?

ryan.a87

Juniors
Wondering if it has something to do with training loads and performance management

maybe their schedule has them peaking in September and just cruising along in June

HarVeeGee

Juniors
It was absolutely not a masterclass. Shaun Johnson delivered a better version of a classic Cleary “put your foot on an exhausted and busted opponent’s neck” game a mere week ago.

One of the great mysteries why Cleary doesn’t do it for the Blues. Why doesn’t he simply have his Origin teammates make zero errors in the first half, and also give him 60% of the ball + a 500m run metres advantage + more time and space than any other 7 in the comp + 50 tackles in the opposition red zone, like he has for Penrith every week? Yeah, it’s probably fair to say Queensland would struggle against us then…

Black Panther

Juniors
It was absolutely not a masterclass. Shaun Johnson delivered a better version of a classic Cleary “put your foot on an exhausted and busted opponent’s neck” game a mere week ago.

One of the great mysteries why Cleary doesn’t do it for the Blues. Why doesn’t he simply have his Origin teammates make zero errors in the first half, and also give him 60% of the ball + a 500m run metres advantage + more time and space than any other 7 in the comp + 50 tackles in the opposition red zone, like he has for Penrith every week? Yeah, it’s probably fair to say Queensland would struggle against us then…
It’s pretty simple, other players for NSW can’t play the same way the Panthers do. Plus you have Tedesco stifling the attack touching the ball twice every set.

Yosh

Coach
Origin is a different sort of ball game to the NRL. Can't just bring an NRL blueprint and expect to win Origin. It's like brining an U12s winning blueprint and expecting to dominate the NRL. NSW needs to get back to basics and win the 1% instead of trying to finesse it through the match. Nathan needs to be given total control the team and made captain as well. I think it's time for Teddy to leave not because he is terrible suddenly but he is holding NSW back now.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
Origin is a different sort of ball game to the NRL. Can't just bring an NRL blueprint and expect to win Origin. It's like brining an U12s winning blueprint and expecting to dominate the NRL. NSW needs to get back to basics and win the 1% instead of trying to finesse it through the match. Nathan needs to be given total control the team and made captain as well. I think it's time for Teddy to leave not because he is terrible suddenly but he is holding NSW back now.
Teddy definitely the biggest issue (besides Freddy). His game is built on athleticism and that’s starting to go. He needs to lose weight, but he also might not improve if he does that. He’s still a really good club fullback but there’s a notable gap between him and the best few #1’s now.

I’m definitely of the view Luai has played way worse than Cleary at Origin level too. Even though he has this reputation as a classy attacking player, gee he squanders a lot of opportunities with his pointless hopping and skipping around, and he tends to just sit in his little pocket of the field waiting for the ball to come his way, which works playing within a very structured side like Penrith, but you have to get after the game at Origin level.

I also think he doesn’t actually give a shit about winning for NSW like he does for Penrith and Samoa. That’s fair enough for him personally, people can feel however they want to feel, but just like Luke Keary, you’ve gotta put a line through blokes who don’t care about the Blues and won’t bleed for the jersey.

But I also thought Moses looked more dangerous than Cleary in Origin this year. I know he played the dead rubber, but for mine Origin demands more ad-lib, eyes up footy, and Moses being used to playing off the back of offloads and looking to attack short sides a lot, has the right kind of game.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
So does that mean Jamal Fogarty and Sam “Reserve Grade” Walker are also better than Mitchell Moses?

I am absolutely begging all rugby league fans to consider that the performance of the other 16 players in the team also have a big influence on how well the team goes. That’s even before we get into factors like losing your best forward for half the season.

What if I told all of you that Shaun Johnson was already as good as he miraculously appears to have become this season? Does this blow your mind?

What a crazy coincidence that Kalyn Ponga finally “brought his Origin form to Newcastle” the first time he had an extended run with a halves combination which gets him good ball!

Last edited:

Black Panther

Juniors
So does that mean Jamal Fogarty and Sam “Reserve Grade” Walker are also better than Mitchell Moses?

I am absolutely begging all rugby league fans to consider that the performance of the other 16 players in the team also have a big influence on how well the team goes. That’s even before we get into factors like losing your best forward for half the season.

What if I told all of you that Shaun Johnson was already as good as he miraculously appears to have become this season? Does this blow your mind?

What a crazy coincidence that Kalyn Ponga finally “brought his Origin form to Newcastle” the first time he had an extended run with a halves combination which gets him good ball!
My point exactly with all the clowns who say Cleary isn’t up to Origin level. There is 16 other players that help determine a result.
f**k me it has taken a long time for the penny to drop.

HarVeeGee

Juniors
I don’t think he’s “not up to it”, he’s a huge talent with a great work ethic. But it is a different style of footy and not every player has a game which suits it. Cooper Cronk took a little while to settle at Origin level and he’s one of the best 5 halfbacks I’ve ever seen. DCE also only really came good for the Maroons for the past few series, he needed time.

I do broadly think it’s correct though that if your halfback is Cleary, everything from team selection to game planning does need to revolve around him. Live by the Cleary, die by the Cleary. Freddy won’t do that. Teddy and the Turbo brothers are his boys, not Cleary. So you’ve gotta pick a halfback who doesn’t need the ball as much.

Knight Tales

Bench
I don’t think he’s “not up to it”, he’s a huge talent with a great work ethic. But it is a different style of footy and not every player has a game which suits it. Cooper Cronk took a little while to settle at Origin level and he’s one of the best 5 halfbacks I’ve ever seen. DCE also only really came good for the Maroons for the past few series, he needed time.

I do broadly think it’s correct though that if your halfback is Cleary, everything from team selection to game planning does need to revolve around him. Live by the Cleary, die by the Cleary. Freddy won’t do that. Teddy and the Turbo brothers are his boys, not Cleary. So you’ve gotta pick a halfback who doesn’t need the ball as much.
Joey would have lost his shit if he was made to acquiesce to this. Cleary has the right and should insist he runs the show. If he can’t then he will fail. The simple fix for Cleary is to dominate on the ball and distribute as he sees fit. Trell and Turbo get the ball when he says. Not the other way around. As it should be.