What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arsenal not up to it at the moment.

nibbs

Bench
when martin started this thread about his beloved arsenal i don't think he had any idea that it would reach 59 posts

Macca_

Coach
Lets face it, it's the Carling Cup. Wigan had half a stadium full for starters. Shows what the fans over their think of the comp.

Arsenal have played (like every season) a weakened side in this comp. Kids and reggies mixed with a few first teamers. It's a good achievement to get that far like that.

The way Wigan are going this season it is no disgrace to lose their, especially when you look at the side Arsenal put out. They basically played without a striker from the commentry guys I listened too. They also played crap from those comms.

It's 1-0 and they still have to go to Highbury.

I was not expecting to win this. I thought a draw was a very good bet for the game.

meh, it's the League Cup, but still something to win when you get this far. Be a good tonic once again for the kids who always seem to go well in this comp.

Macca_

Coach
Eskimo Sharkie said:
It's only the Carling Cup but you'd still expect Arsenal to easily win these sort of matches.
Have to give Wigan some credit though they are having a great season.

The kid gunners got to this stage last season only to be rolled over 2 legs by Boro. They always tend to go well and it's a great comp to blood them all in.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Eskimo Sharkie said:
Wigan 1 def Arsenal 0 and the Latics were unlucky not to have won by more. It's only the Carling Cup but you'd still expect Arsenal to easily win these sort of matches.

Not really. This is as far as I can remember us getting in the Carling Cup, and I kinda want us to lose as I consider it to be worth -1 trophies.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Arsenal are so inconsistent they're likely to lose to Bolton or someone similarly as sh*t enxt week. Hoepfully its a return of the Arsenal of old, gee they were good to watch.

Macca_

Coach
Raider it's travel troubles more so than inconsistancy. Apart from Chelsea beating them at home they have not been defeated. It's on the road that they seem to be struggling. Hopefully last night will restore some confidence.

A few players that have been out of form had really good games. The announcement of a couple of signings would have been a boost as would Henry commitiing to the club and squashing the Barca rumours. The whole team looked much more relaxed and free flowing last night. I think we'll see a much better second half to the season.

Another key factor is 5 league games on the trot with a clean sheet. Confidence is rising, players are coming back from injury and others are gaining form.

Saint Dragon - Schwarzer wouldn't have made much difference at all :D

Dragooner

Bench
Macca-I know Schwarzer wouldn't make a huge difference because any good kepper like Cech or Kahn couldn't stop them scoring 4-5 goals. The kepper they had in made some shocking mistakes.
I read something towards the start of this forum saying that Arsenal might miss europe next year. To whoever that was, if Arsenal do well in this years finals then they can make europe next year. They might have to qualify though.

Macca_

Coach
There is 17 games still to be played. They are not that many points behind for the Champ League spots. Any talk of them missing out or having to qualify etc etc is pointless.

Wait till there is 8 matches left before those scenarios are looked at.

Macca_

Coach
Woohoo, EPL highlights show is on now on FOX.

Worth a look for the 7-0 win for Arsenal, spuds losing and Man U loosing :D

Out of the Carling Cup this morning too, courtesy of a 118th minute goal from Jason Roberts. Who would have thought that Wigan would be one of the teams playing for the first piece of silverware this season?

Macca_

Coach
Carling Cup normally throws up a surprise team. Only have to look at a recent list of winners. Think it was posted somewhere around here. No great loss to be out of it. Another good run for us in it, for most of it with the kids and reggies.

Macca_

Coach
Good article on Walcott and the the youth at Arsenal -
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=356228&root=england&cc=3436

I liked this part -

Goalkeepers apart, Wenger can field a full team and bench of players aged 22 or under (Eboue, Djourou, Senderos, Clichy; Walcott, Fabregas, Diaby, Reyes; Adebayor, Van Persie, with a choice of replacements from Flamini, Lupoli, Owusu-Abeyie, Song and Gilbert). Arsenal's future, then, holds more appeal than their present

Intersting comment for this weekends game -

Wenger also revealed that the defeat had not changed the position of the FA Cup in his priorities and that he would field a weakened team against Bolton in the fourth round. He added: "On Saturday we will rest many
players, like Lauren, (Sol) Campbell and Henry, because we have many
injuries and problems - we will not take a chance in the FA Cup.
"We will focus on the Premiership and try to get into the Champions
League."
Van Pirsie and Reyes up top at the Reebok... May be the tonic we need on the road...