What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thread for RLC attendance and venue discussion.

Looks like ticket sales are off to a good start with the opener and final selling well. More corporates sold than ever before and womens selling well

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fans of rugby league are being urged to ensure they get the best seats in the house for Rugby League World Cup 2021 with just 100 days to go until the tournament kicks off at St James’ Park as England Men take on Samoa Men on 15 October.

The 100-day milestone sees excitement for the trailblazing World Cup continue to rise with this Autumn’s tournament breaking new ground in staging a record-breaking 61 matches across three competitions simultaneously for the very first time. They will be held across 18 Host towns and cities – meaning more matches in more places than ever before.

The tournament has also smashed the record for the number of tickets sold for an England-based rugby league fixture with the opening match at Headingley between England and tournament debutantes Brazil, which will be followed by Papua New Guinea v Canada having already sold over 5,000 tickets.

In addition to a record-breaking sponsorship programme, hospitality sales have exceeded any previous Rugby League World Cup while families can purchase tickets from just £2.21 for Under 16s making it great value for all.

Coastbloke

Bench
Here's hoping for a sold out James Park for England v Samoa and a 'shock' win to Samoa..

There's definitely some 'hard sell' games that unfortunately wouldn't be a problem for the other code, but League still has to stop dragging their feet re the International game..

Games involving Oz, NZ, Tonga, France should be good crowds. I'm hoping there'll be underdogs support for Jamaica as well..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last time around

2017 RLWC
28 games
Total attendance 382,080
Avg 13,646 (though I suspect this may have included Double headers being counted twice)
Final 40,033
13 venues used across 3 countries

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
Last time around

2017 RLWC
28 games
Total attendance 382,080
Avg 13,646 (though I suspect this may have included Fake'ers being counted twice)
Final 40,033

I suspect that 2022 will substantially exceed that…

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Last time around

2017 RLWC
28 games
Total attendance 382,080
Avg 13,646 (though I suspect this may have included Double headers being counted twice)
Final 40,033
That really was pretty average … and if it wasn't for Tonga and PNG crowds, absolutely dreadful.

I felt the organisation and the promotion of the 2017 event was poor and the attendances reflected that.

Coastbloke

Bench
I felt the organisation and the promotion of the 2017 event was poor and the attendances reflected that.

Honestly, it was so badly organised it almost smelt of a conspiracy..

The ARLC/NRL have SOO so they simply don’t give a sh!t. Northern Hemisphere doesn’t have a premier RL event unless it’s a RLWC. So they make a substantial effort and it shows..

Some of the 2017 matches venue choices were bizarre..

blukablu

Juniors
Here's hoping for a sold out James Park for England v Samoa and a 'shock' win to Samoa..

There's definitely some 'hard sell' games that unfortunately wouldn't be a problem for the other code, but League still has to stop dragging their feet re the International game..

Games involving Oz, NZ, Tonga, France should be good crowds. I'm hoping there'll be underdogs support for Jamaica as well..
I hope not. A shock win to Samoa would be a f**king disaster for the World Cup. Besides if England beat Samoa we get a Tonga v Samoa QF.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the whole ticket prices are very reasonable which is good to see. No bundles this time though so that may impact the less attractive games crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Honestly, it was so badly organised it almost smelt of a conspiracy..

The ARLC/NRL have SOO so they simply don’t give a sh!t. Northern Hemisphere doesn’t have a premier RL event unless it’s a RLWC. So they make a substantial effort and it shows..

Some of the 2017 matches venue choices were bizarre..
It was very poorly run, ignored by media and the fact NSW govt wouldn't pay to host any big games was insulting to the game. I thought Brisbane did a good job hosting the final and was fun in the city that weekend. Shame it didnt sell out though which was very strange.

Dark Corner

Juniors
It was very poorly run, ignored by media and the fact NSW govt wouldn't pay to host any big games was insulting to the game. I thought Brisbane did a good job hosting the final and was fun in the city that weekend. Shame it didnt sell out though which was very strange.
It was that bad that I can't remember watching any of it compared to 2013 which build my hopes up for international Rugby League but 2017 wasn't on the radar.

The Partisan

Probably be less visitors from the southern hemisphere as compared to 2013 when I travelled from Australia. Not seen or heard much talk of Tour groups. ( I travelled independently in 2013. and was there from opening ceremony to the Final).

Would like to think some interested locals from Ireland, Italy, Greece and Jamaica will be travelling over but probably not many.

Had planned to go to Ireland v Jamaica game myself before plans changed. Ditto the history making all American continents clash of Canada v Brasil in the Women's RL.

Do have high hopes for this to be a very well supported event and a catalyst for the expansion of the code.

KingstonDD

Juniors
The ticket prices are actually quite expensive compared to last time. Especially when they seem to have held back blocks of some of the cheaper tickets for certain games.

In 2013 I ended up going to lots of games as the prices were very cheap. This time I’m likely to just go to the final. I’m not complaining and I hope they are selling well, I just worry they may have gone a little too high with the cost of living crisis ongoing.

In the past they have had to rely on selling tickets to multiple games to the same RL diehards. If they manage to get similar crowds but with more people just going to the one game at a higher price point, then that would be brilliant.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ticket prices are actually quite expensive compared to last time. Especially when they seem to have held back blocks of some of the cheaper tickets for certain games.

In 2013 I ended up going to lots of games as the prices were very cheap. This time I’m likely to just go to the final. I’m not complaining and I hope they are selling well, I just worry they may have gone a little too high with the cost of living crisis ongoing.

In the past they have had to rely on selling tickets to multiple games to the same RL diehards. If they manage to get similar crowds but with more people just going to the one game at a higher price point, then that would be brilliant.
They start at 20 pound dont they?

KingstonDD

Juniors
For less popular games, something like that but those seats are very limited and in some cases seem to have been blocked out so you can’t buy them.

The ticket website is awful though tbh. It kept looping me around to the same landing page when I was clicking on particular games.

In 2013 I went to 6 games and paid about £140 total, which is too cheap. This time to go to the same equivalent games in similar seats, would cost me about £420. That is a massive jump. Like I said, I genuinely hope they have got it correct.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That really was pretty average … and if it wasn't for Tonga and PNG crowds, absolutely dreadful.

NSW govt refusing to partner in it didnt help either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) is delighted to announce they have reached another milestone in their ambition to be the biggest, best and most inclusive in history, as hospitality ticket sales hit a record high.

Several of the hospitality package options across the venues are now sold out, as hospitality tickets hit a significant five figures in places sold. This exceeds the hospitality sales for any of the previous Rugby League World Cup tournaments.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby League World Cup boss Jon Dutton this week issued a passionate rallying-cry as he confidently predicted this autumn’s event can surpass all expectations and deliver England glory.

Facing the media as the clock ticked down to 80 days before England’s opening game against Samoa, Dutton repeated assurances of anticipated record-breaking ticket sales across the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments.

So with the strength of player pool no longer a concern, focus turns to bolstering ticket sales and creating noise around a tournament that Dutton hopes can catch fire in the way that the women’s Euros has grabbed the public’s imagination this summer.

“It’s just a tournament that feels special,” Dutton adds of the women’s football event that he has been attending as a supporter, and at which he has felt “palpable excitement”.

“We wouldn’t have had this in 2021. We are delighted to be amongst other events in 2022, and we have seen the positivity, optimism, and a family audience. We could see the audience adopting a nation and I think that’s similar to what we will experience.”

As for ticket sales, there is confidence of sell-outs for the England opener and the final, and it is fundamental to their strategy that they do.

This is a big ‘hold your nerve’ exercise now for organisers hopeful of a late rush of ticket sales off the back of the women’s Euros success and the forthcoming Commonwealth Games.

Between 35 to 40 games are expected to be shown on BBC1 and BBC2, and rather than that providing a reason for fans not to buy tickets, Dutton expects it to have the opposite effect. In short, UK viewers have watched the success of the Lionesses on terrestrial television and wanted a piece of it. The atmospheres have thus been electric.

Last year’s postponement prompted a refund window which saw 19% of tickets returned, but organisers are holding out hope for a frantic final six-week period which they hope will trigger a huge surge in demand. As such, 75% of the entire advertising budget is being held back for the final six weeks before the tournament starts.

Above anything, the Rugby League World Cup is being led by a fan who loves the game and would do anything to see it succeed. Last year’s postponement hit Dutton hard, and he admits he could have walked away then, citing financial losses incurred by the postponement as in the “multiple millions of pounds” and personally a real hit to his mental health. He points to an impressive array of commercial partnerships that have “massively overachieved” expectations as a big reason for optimism.

As in any sport, the most effective way to sell out stadiums is to have a winning team.

England have a brand new kit and a squad keen to prove the doubters wrong. So, soon it will be over to Shaun Wane and his players to get those stadiums full.

“There is lots of positivity despite some of the challenges that people face in terms of disposable income” Dutton admits.

“So my rallying cry to everyone who are passionate about the sport is to get behind this, it is the biggest moment in 127 years in terms of tournament rugby league.”

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
not
Rugby League World Cup boss Jon Dutton this week issued a passionate rallying-cry as he confidently predicted this autumn’s event can surpass all expectations and deliver England glory.

Facing the media as the clock ticked down to 80 days before England’s opening game against Samoa, Dutton repeated assurances of anticipated record-breaking ticket sales across the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments.

So with the strength of player pool no longer a concern, focus turns to bolstering ticket sales and creating noise around a tournament that Dutton hopes can catch fire in the way that the women’s Euros has grabbed the public’s imagination this summer.

“It’s just a tournament that feels special,” Dutton adds of the women’s football event that he has been attending as a supporter, and at which he has felt “palpable excitement”.

“We wouldn’t have had this in 2021. We are delighted to be amongst other events in 2022, and we have seen the positivity, optimism, and a family audience. We could see the audience adopting a nation and I think that’s similar to what we will experience.”

As for ticket sales, there is confidence of sell-outs for the England opener and the final, and it is fundamental to their strategy that they do.

This is a big ‘hold your nerve’ exercise now for organisers hopeful of a late rush of ticket sales off the back of the women’s Euros success and the forthcoming Commonwealth Games.

Between 35 to 40 games are expected to be shown on BBC1 and BBC2, and rather than that providing a reason for fans not to buy tickets, Dutton expects it to have the opposite effect. In short, UK viewers have watched the success of the Lionesses on terrestrial television and wanted a piece of it. The atmospheres have thus been electric.

Last year’s postponement prompted a refund window which saw 19% of tickets returned, but organisers are holding out hope for a frantic final six-week period which they hope will trigger a huge surge in demand. As such, 75% of the entire advertising budget is being held back for the final six weeks before the tournament starts.

Above anything, the Rugby League World Cup is being led by a fan who loves the game and would do anything to see it succeed. Last year’s postponement hit Dutton hard, and he admits he could have walked away then, citing financial losses incurred by the postponement as in the “multiple millions of pounds” and personally a real hit to his mental health. He points to an impressive array of commercial partnerships that have “massively overachieved” expectations as a big reason for optimism.

As in any sport, the most effective way to sell out stadiums is to have a winning team.

England have a brand new kit and a squad keen to prove the doubters wrong. So, soon it will be over to Shaun Wane and his players to get those stadiums full.

“There is lots of positivity despite some of the challenges that people face in terms of disposable income” Dutton admits.

“So my rallying cry to everyone who are passionate about the sport is to get behind this, it is the biggest moment in 127 years in terms of tournament rugby league.”

sure how to take this ? Sounds like it’s struggling to attack people to the grounds ?.