What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

Billythekid

First Grade
Hope it’s a big success. Would be great to send a message that there is more potential for international league.

yakstorm

First Grade
Newcastle will be a sellout and the final, any other games selling well ?.

According to this article https://www.theticketingbusiness.co...les-expected-for-rugby-league-world-cup-2021/ England v France at Bolton and England v Greece at Sheffield are selling strongly as well.

England’s opening men’s game against Samoa in Newcastle is one of a number of matches close to selling out, while men’s group games at Sheffield, Bolton and Newcastle are also set to sell out. All eight wheelchair games at Sheffield’s English Institute of Sport arena have already sold out.

The men’s and women’s double-header final at Old Trafford on November 19 is also set to sell out, which would make it the highest grossing rugby league match held in the northern hemisphere.

Coastbloke

Bench
So in 2017 the RLWC opener just failed to hit 23,000 and the final got 40,000 in a 52,000 capacity stadium.

In 2022 the RLWC opener will get at least 50,000 (with 1 team being a T2 nation) and the Final is set to get at least 70,000..

Says it all really..

yakstorm

First Grade
2017 the combination of inexperienced ticketing staff and poorly targeted advertising spend really hurt ticketing sales.

Firstly the fact that for a number of games large parts of venues were left on hold did have an impact on sales. The AAMI Park opener didn't open one side of the ground until about 2 weeks before kick off, whilst Canberra Stadium often had large chunks of the ground closed off and tried to force people into Cat 1 seats for both matches.

Venue choices left a lot to desire. Tonga & Samoa shouldn't have played games in Cairns, the organisers should have backed a more aggressive opener (originally Australia v England was going to be played at the MCG, though Australia v France at the SCG was considered), Tonga v Lebanon QF was always going to struggle in Christchurch, Newcastle should have gotten at least a game, etc.

Secondly the marketing spend was strange, I live in the Hills district of Sydney and we had posters for France v Lebanon in Canberra versus say the two matches at the SFS or even Australia v France. The organisers also didn't want to use the NRL marketing list to promote it, and there was a real reluctance from the RLWC organisers to work with the NRL, NSWRL & QRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So in 2017 the RLWC opener just failed to hit 23,000 and the final got 40,000 in a 52,000 capacity stadium.

In 2022 the RLWC opener will get at least 50,000 (with 1 team being a T2 nation) and the Final is set to get at least 70,000..

Says it all really..
England has always cared more about the international game than Australia in modern times.

Perth Red

Post Whore
2017 the combination of inexperienced ticketing staff and poorly targeted advertising spend really hurt ticketing sales.

Firstly the fact that for a number of games large parts of venues were left on hold did have an impact on sales. The AAMI Park opener didn't open one side of the ground until about 2 weeks before kick off, whilst Canberra Stadium often had large chunks of the ground closed off and tried to force people into Cat 1 seats for both matches.

Venue choices left a lot to desire. Tonga & Samoa shouldn't have played games in Cairns, the organisers should have backed a more aggressive opener (originally Australia v England was going to be played at the MCG, though Australia v France at the SCG was considered), Tonga v Lebanon QF was always going to struggle in Christchurch, Newcastle should have gotten at least a game, etc.

Secondly the marketing spend was strange, I live in the Hills district of Sydney and we had posters for France v Lebanon in Canberra versus say the two matches at the SFS or even Australia v France. The organisers also didn't want to use the NRL marketing list to promote it, and there was a real reluctance from the RLWC organisers to work with the NRL, NSWRL & QRL.
Marketing was terrible. Unless you where a RL fan you wouldn't have known England were playing in Perth. Should have been mass marketing and competitions in every pom pub in the city! Also there was no targeted marketing using NRL ticket sale data bases. The whole '17 event here was shoddy from start to finish. Only good thing was the fan village in Brisbane before the final, that was a good night with lots of fans there and good bands.

Billythekid

First Grade

Says it all really..
Great signs! Hopefully this is a goon for NH rugby league. A stronger ESL and NH game in general is the key for the game to finally make a splash internationally.
England has always cared more about the international game than Australia in modern times.
Australia has shown time and again that we support international sport. The problem isn’t general Australians it’s the people who run the game and the media around the game.

Treat international RL like shit, constantly talk it down whilst simultaneously not advertising it and having a nonsensical international schedule where the game at times just disappears. Of course people here don’t support it.

Even my RL mad friends who used to even watch RL qualifiers have mostly just given up and lost interest.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great signs! Hopefully this is a goon for NH rugby league. A stronger ESL and NH game in general is the key for the game to finally make a splash internationally.

Australia has shown time and again that we support international sport. The problem isn’t general Australians it’s the people who run the game and the media around the game.

Treat international RL like shit, constantly talk it down whilst simultaneously not advertising it and having a nonsensical international schedule where the game at times just disappears. Of course people here don’t support it.

Even my RL mad friends who used to even watch RL qualifiers have mostly just given up and lost interest.
chicken and egg, do the media and NRL ignore it as there's little interest, or is there little interest because the media and NRL ignore it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because we have a better spectacle with origin , the poms not keeping pace with us in the mid 1970's killed international RL
its on them
Total domination hasn’t hurt the all blacks interest levels over the years . More likely it’s the myopic nature of rl fans in australia who bizarrely care more about their state than their country. Origin is a better spectacle as that’s where the investment and focus has been put.

Total domination hasn’t hurt the all blacks interest levels over the years . More likely it’s the myopic nature of rl fans in australia who bizarrely care more about their state than their country. Origin is a better spectacle as that’s where the investment and focus has been put.
NZ has rugby state of origin does it ?
when did that happen ?

Coastbloke

Bench
Because we have a better spectacle with origin , the poms not keeping pace with us in the mid 1970's killed international RL
its on them
I firmly believe that if given the appropriate media and ARLC support, the Kangaroos v Kiwis can be as good as if not a better spectacle than SOO…

SOO is literally brainwashed into our sporting mindset to to deliberate overreach by the sporting powers that be.

Sorry I thought you were intimating the reason fans are disinterested in the Kanagroos is due to their dominance since the 70's?
Due to our dominance we moved on to something else .. origin
& it has taken international RL's place as the pinnacle of our sport , its is now the biggest annual sporting series in Australasia

anyone saying anything else is in need of psychiatric help

I firmly believe that if given the appropriate media and ARLC support, the Kangaroos v Kiwis can be as good as if not a better spectacle than SOO…

SOO is literally brainwashed into our sporting mindset to to deliberate overreach by the sporting powers that be.
i'd doubt it ...

international RL is so far behind origin atm it would take a minor miracle & thats squarely on the poms & their complete incompetence at running the game there

a nice little side show is all it will ever be now

Perth Red

Post Whore
i'd doubt it ...

international RL is so far behind origin atm it would take a minor miracle & thats squarely on the poms & their complete incompetence at running the game there

a nice little side show is all it will ever be now
Its a real shame, I was at Wembley and Old Trafford in the 80's and 90's when International RL was respected and something worth following. Origin is great for Australia but it is also quite selfish and has cost growth in the game in other countries. NZRL for example are massively reliant on revenue from test matches. I agree its hard to see the tide being turned anytime soon. If there is one thing RL does well its self interest.

to Its a real shame, I was at Wembley and Old Trafford in the 80's and 90's when International RL was respected and something worth following. Origin is great for Australia but it is also quite selfish and has cost growth in the game in other countries. NZRL for example are massively reliant on revenue from test matches. I agree its hard to see the tide being turned anytime soon. If there is one thing RL does well its self interest.
Its not or has never been the responsibility of the ARLC or its predecessors to foster RL in the UK , thats their job

Latest posts