What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

morningstar

Juniors
Again there is nothing in that article that suggests they are 'struggling to break even'! What they are saying is they may have not got the ticket pricing right to attract larger crowds. That's a very different thing. Don't know where the hand wringing is coming from, they will sell more tickets at a higher price than the 2013 RLWC, int that a good thing? Considering RL fan apathy they are doing ok I'd say.

In fact they have said that the have record corporate sales and ticket sales have already financially matched the total for the 2013 RLWC. Doesn't sound like a tournament struggling to break even does it?
Did you read the first sentence? “Battling to break even”…two independent journalists from the Australian & BBC just decided on a bias take following a media call with Dutton?

morningstar

Juniors
And on the pricing (which is just another excuse for RL fans to whinge) do you honesty believe the crowds would be double if we charged half as much? Not one game has had the cheapest tickets sell out, that would suggest its not price keeping people from attending wouldn't it? It would seem fans would rather see a few more thousand at the game and the tournament make less money for investing back in the international game. Weird lot.
No. I want to see the biggest and best world cup ever as was promised. Their original target was 1M attendance then revised to 750k, then 570k to beat womens euros.

Current forecasts have them lucky to break 500k. How much money is being left on the table with 250k tickets unsold?

Northern

Juniors
I can see a few reasons for lower than hoped for attendances:
1. Relatively high prices in current economic climate - I know lowest prices tickets haven’t sold out, but £25 lowest for games at Headingley for example, most seats £50 & £70 for non-England games. I know a few who baulked at those prices.
2. All games on free to air TV, which is brilliant, but has undoubtedly put some off going to games.
Sadly, provides an easy hit for those who relish in knocking international league and league in general
I think they have tried really hard with the marketing and quite a bit of exposure in media, but somehow just hasn’t ignited interest in going to games, yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did you read the first sentence? “Battling to break even”…two independent journalists from the Australian & BBC just decided on a bias take following a media call with Dutton?
no quote to that effect though, or even close to it. journos showing bias? never heard of it lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
No. I want to see the biggest and best world cup ever as was promised. Their original target was 1M attendance then revised to 750k, then 570k to beat womens euros.

Current forecasts have them lucky to break 500k. How much money is being left on the table with 250k tickets unsold?
if price was the deciding factor maybe, reality is it isnt, RL just isnt very popular and people dont want to go to one sided games. Those are the real reasons.
We had much cheaper tickets in 2013 including bundling of the lower tier games with higher value games. Did it make any difference to the crowds? Not really, this tournament is likely to surpass it in crowds and ticket revenue.
If price was the driver wed see the 15-25 pound tickets all gone, and we aren't. Anyone hoping for 1million clearly didnt understand how apathetic RL fans are and how little impact RL has on the public who arent RL fans.
Thats not say they have got it all right by the way, especially for the sideline seats. Expecting tight northerners to pay 50-70pound for a good seat was highly ambitious, must be a southern firm organising who are used to Union and soccer crowds lol

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
if price was the deciding factor maybe, reality is it isnt, RL just isnt very popular and people dont want to go to one sided games. Those are the real reasons.
We had much cheaper tickets in 2013 including bundling of the lower tier games with higher value games. Did it make any difference to the crowds? Not really, this tournament is likely to surpass it in crowds and ticket revenue.
If price was the driver wed see the 15-25 pound tickets all gone, and we aren't. Anyone hoping for 1million clearly didnt understand how apathetic RL fans are and how little impact RL has on the public who arent RL fans.
Thats not say they have got it all right by the way,
especially for the sideline seats. Expecting tight northerners to pay 50-70pound for a good seat was highly ambitious, must be a southern firm organising who are used to Union and soccer crowds lol
Good to see you`re back to your normal pessimistic self, hardly recognised you recently with that brief spurt of optimism at the start of the World Cup.
Some advice : Why don`t you rattle off your take on value of the fumbleball and NRL broadcast deals, that always seems to cheer you up, you certainly post them often enough.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see you`re back to your normal pessimistic self, hardly recognised you recently with that brief spurt of optimism at the start of the World Cup.
Some advice : Why don`t you rattle off your take on value of the fumbleball and NRL broadcast deals, that always seems to cheer you up, you certainly post them often enough.
Them's the fact boyo, its not pessimistic its realistic.
In UK RL isnt very popular. Its a niche sport played professionally in a very regionalised part of the country. No point sugaring it and screaming about low crowds and thinking that halving ticket prices would suddenly see the game more popular and filling stadiums. Didn't happen in 2013, wouldn't happen now.
RL fans are apathetic when it comes to attending games, been proven time and time and time again at club and international level.
Those are the realities. The other reality is this WILL be the most successful RLWC ever, it will make more money than any other, it will have introduced womens and disability RL to the WC stage and it will leave a lasting legacy of growth for countries like Jamaica and Greece. I'm loving it, unlike whingers who just want to moan about prices and empty seats and big scores. Cant wait to go to France for the 2025 cup.

Now why dont you post something useful to the thread discussion for a change?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The other reality is this WILL be the most successful RLWC ever, it will make more money than any other, it will have introduced womens and disability RL to the WC stage and it will leave a lasting legacy of growth for countries like Jamaica and Greece. I'm loving it, unlike whingers who just want to moan about prices and empty seats and big scores. Cant wait to go to France for the 2025 cup.
That`s my boy, I knew it, you just needed a rev up.

Gobsmacked

Bench
This is a very positive WC . The most media coverage, the most TV coverage, The most quality teams and players. Imagine the Final features England and sells out. TV numbers are going to be great and it will fetch more and more rights dollars.
There's some smaller crowds but with the tickets at those prices and average crowds
Average £40 average 10,000= £400,000 a game at the gate + sponsorship + streaming + TV

Brake even? What a laugh.
It'll be the most profitable and publicised ever, by a long way!
And all that mula and publicity is straight into the International scene and we aren't even in the finals yet 🤘

Jack Deth

Juniors
I don't think people realise how tough it is here in the UK especially in the North.

Skyrocketing gas and electric prices, inflation running above 13%, stagnating wages and imposed austerity for 10years, rail strikes, bus strikes and a government run by lunatics.

Ticket prices are reasonable, if you want to sit in a corner. Otherwise, the price for a family of four in decent seats is an expensive choice.

I will be very happy if we make a profit and beat 2017 numbers get the somewhere near the numbers of 2013.

Steve Davy

Juniors
I don't think people realise how tough it is here in the UK especially in the North.

Skyrocketing gas and electric prices, inflation running above 13%, stagnating wages and imposed austerity for 10years, rail strikes, bus strikes and a government run by lunatics.

Ticket prices are reasonable, if you want to sit in a corner. Otherwise, the price for a family of four in decent seats is an expensive choice.

I will be very happy if we make a profit and beat 2017 numbers get the somewhere near the numbers of 2013.
Indeed.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Crowds​

Week 2​

Australia Men (84) v Scotland Men (0)
Sat 22 Oct 5:30AM at Coventry Building Society Arena, Coventry (Crowd: 10276)

Fiji Men (60) v Italy Men (4)
Sun 23 Oct 12:30AM at Kingston Park, Newcastle (Crowd: 3675)
England Men (42) v France Men (18)
Sun 23 Oct 3:00AM at University of Bolton Stadium, Horwich (Crowd: 23648)
New Zealand Men (68) v Jamaica Men (6)
Sun 23 Oct 5:30AM at MKM Stadium, Hull (Crowd: 6829)

Lebanon Men (32) v Ireland Men (14)
Mon 24 Oct 12:30AM at Leigh Sports Village Stadium, Leigh (Crowd: 6007)
Samoa Men (72) v Greece Men (4)
Mon 24 Oct 3:00AM at Eco-Power Stadium, Doncaster (Crowd: 4415)

Tonga Men (32) v Wales Men (6)
Tue 25 Oct 5:30AM at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens (Crowd: 7752)

Papua New Guinea Men (32) v Cook Islands Men (16)
Wed 26 Oct 5:30AM at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington (Crowd: 6273)

Week 1 aggregate: 95,243
Week 1 match average: 11,905

Week 2 aggregate: 68,875
Week 2 match average: 8,609

Tournament aggregate: 164,118
Tournament match average: 10,257​

bipolarbob

Juniors
wow..£40 to stand in the south terrace for a semi at Warrington.
no wonder no-one is going. £25 to go in the corner.
plus its against chelsea v arsenal and tottenham v liverpool. both will be on tv somewhere.

1666859678244.png

Last edited:

bipolarbob

Juniors
for Samoa v France @ Warrington:

1666860186799.png
not cheap at all, it's on somewhere on tv, people are struggling to heat their homes, buy food etc etc. can't see this being a big crowd and its hardly a prestige match.
it's a shame but i can't see this world cup growing the sport for spectators at grounds. maybe for a tv audience but not footfall. and its going against Man Utd V west ham on sky.

Perth Red

Post Whore
for Samoa v France @ Warrington:

View attachment 67703
not cheap at all, it's on somewhere on tv, people are struggling to heat their homes, buy food etc etc. can't see this being a big crowd and its hardly a prestige match.
it's a shame but i can't see this world cup growing the sport for spectators at grounds. maybe for a tv audience but not footfall. and its going against Man Utd V west ham on sky.
I'm guessing you haven't been to many world cups or major sporting events? Those prices are cheap in comparison! T20 cricket world cup on at moment, an equivalent seat behind the wicket for the semi will set you back 125 pounds!
The finals: RLWC 85 pound, equivalent seat Cricket world cup final seat 150pounds.

The sad reality for the game is that halving the ticket prices would not double the crowds. So in effect you are asking them to make less money than they could and have less to invest in international RL in the next few years. The problem lies much deeper than ticket prices, in both countries.

Last edited:

bipolarbob

Juniors
I'm guessing you haven't been to many world cups or major sporting events? Those prices are cheap in comparison! T20 cricket world cup on at moment, an equivalent seat behind the wicket for the semi will set you back 125 pounds!
The finals: RLWC 85 pound, equivalent seat Cricket world cup final seat 150pounds.

The sad reality for the game is that halving the ticket prices would not double the crowds. So in effect you are asking them to make less money than they could and have less to invest in international RL in the next few years. The problem lies much deeper than ticket prices, in both countries.
i go to the Warrington games - and given last season's offering nope it wasn't a major sporting event!!

Latest posts