What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

yakstorm

First Grade
The six again rule in this World Cup, is like the unlimited interchange rule back in the 2000 World Cup, it just allows the better team to develop too much momentum and makes scoreline look far worse than they should.

Just like the rule allowed the Storm & Roosters to score 70 points against full time professional opposition in the recent NRL season, we shouldn't be surprised it has lead to similar scores when a professional team plays a semi professional team.

It's just a shame we allowed the NRL to influence the IRL to add it in... I doubt Tonga would have scored 90 points against the Cook Islands under the old rules.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
The six again rule in this World Cup, is like the unlimited interchange rule back in the 2000 World Cup, it just allows the better team to develop too much momentum and makes scoreline look far worse than they should.

Just like the rule allowed the Storm & Roosters to score 70 points against full time professional opposition in the recent NRL season, we shouldn't be surprised it has lead to similar scores when a professional team plays a semi professional team.

It's just a shame we allowed the NRL to influence the IRL to add it in... I doubt Tonga would have scored 90 points against the Cook Islands under the old rules.
So how do we get it taken OUT of the international game?

especially when I read that V’landys and Abdo might be joining the international rugby league board !!!!

Iamback

Coach
Mike Tyson being amazing wasn't a problem for heavyweight boxing because everyone in the world knew who Mike Tyson was- and boxing draws champions from the USA, England, Eastern Europe, Asia, Australia, Latin America etc, etc etc. Boxing does not have a market/player/money pool expansion problem.

Boxing is one of the highest earning & highest PPV sports in the world. Regularly featured in the Forbes list. A single major boxing match to unify a few belts would buy the entire NRL roster for a year (depending on the match up).

Rugby league, played in Oz (small), NZ (tiny), PNG (tiny), a segment of Northern England (small) and a few other tiny nations lacks any economic pull outside Oz and it's struggling NE England base- DOES have a depth problem.

This cricket WC we have seen Namibia beat SL, Scotland beat WI, Ireland beat Eng... League has a depth issue. Cricket has added Ireland and Afghanistan as legit t20 teams in recent history. Plus 100 million plus Bangladeshi's before that. League just sits on its hands or bites hands that reach out (see North America).

Supporting countries with decent populations/connections to Oz and fan bases where we are a decent chance of leapfrogging rugby union and pinching their thunder should be a pathway to growing the pie. USA, Canada, Greece, (Lebanon maybe but smaller, poorer and unstable) are good targets. Trying to re-establish France or grow England possible but rugby has the power.

Nailed the issue, Throw in having to compete with RU in those same markets.

Shame the US comp keeps failing down

Gobsmacked

Bench
Isnt the NRL supposed to be investing more in NZ? The amount they currently fund NZRL is a pittance and is a disgrace. Happy to take out $32mill a year and put very little back in.
The games fortunes ebb and flow. In WA we had 10k players in the 90's, that went down to under 1k by 2000. We are back up to 4.1k and climbing again. NZ winning the WC, Warriors getting settled and actually winning for a change and more NRL games to other NZ cities as well as grass roots investment out of the new Sky money and should be sweet.
He ignored all those facts that I already pointed out.
Don't waste your time.

Gobsmacked

Bench
League broke away from Union so we could have running rugby and try's!
Want do you want to do ? Have some f**king lineouts scrums and penalties to make it appear closer ?
f**k that!
f**king shit house! Union bs all about the refs without the ball in play 🙄
You think blowouts are boring??? Try watching that stupid f**king game 🙄🙄🙄

taste2taste

Juniors
I'm not a union fan....I have been following RLWC since 1995. Rugby League in NZ is on life support, and that is a fact. I am involved in the grass roots level and district rep level and I'm telling you now in a several years time it's more than likely going to die unless we see a massive investment from NZRL/NRL. Alot of the districts around the country are being operated by volunteers...there is no money that filters down.

In my region we stopped playing In the winter as we couldn't compete against Rugby and had only one men's team. We have gone from that to 8 this year by playing in spring. Taranaki and Hawkes Bay are the same.

An article was released on the weekend stating Auckland Rugby League has lost 2,000 mens players recently. Though women's numbers have increased.

Wellington Rugby League is dying and struggling across all grades. And I believe Canterbury Rugby League figures are declining. So the three major areas of Rugby League in NZ are declining - rapidly.

Just because the Kiwis have a strong side is not a reflection of the state of the game in NZ. Kids are still getting snapped up and taken across the ditch....that's the only reason NZ has a decent team at the moment. The Warriors are at rock bottom and a embarrassment to Rugby League in NZ.
Hey mate, any chance you could post the link to the article you mentioned ? Would be keen to read it.

Sounds like Gus Gould might have misread things in NZ. He said the game was going good and the Warriors will be flying in a couple of seasons when the players come through the pathways he set up.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Isnt the NRL supposed to be investing more in NZ? The amount they currently fund NZRL is a pittance and is a disgrace.
The problem with the NRL, and it's predecessors, giving money to the NZRL has always been that they have no control over how that money is invested.

Though it might upset some people to hear it put so bluntly; the reality is that most of the money that Australian RL has invested in the NZRL over the years has disappeared down a money pit. All of it just pissed away with nothing to show for it. Very little of the rest of that money seems to make it outside of Auckland either.

I highly doubt that the NRL giving the NZRL larger grants would make a significant difference either. It'd just end up as more money for the NZRL to piss away frankly. Besides, I doubt that there's much will within the NRL to give that money to the NZRL anyway.

The NRL may be inclined to give the NZRL a larger grant if there were some mechanism for the NRL/ARLC to influence how that money is spent, but I honestly doubt that would make much of a difference anyway as the NRL's main goal would undoubtably be to funnel as many Kiwi RU juniors into the Australian clubs as possible, and not to invest in the growth of the sport in NZ. That sort of oversight would probably just lead to infighting between the two anyway.

It'd help if the NRL took the NZ market seriously and expanded their presence in NZ, and found partners and investment for the sport, but I doubt that's a realistic chance of happening on a large scale anytime in the foreseeable future. The NRL is simply too risk adverse to attempt anything like that, so the NRL expanding in NZ would probably amount to nothing more than plonking another team down there and leaving that team and the Warriors to fend for themselves for another few decades.

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
He ignored all those facts that I already pointed out.
Don't waste your time.
What facts? The one where sky tv is putting money in to the grass roots? I know they have been televisions more local rep games this year...but apart from that, nothing. NZRL are only interested in high performance, not grass roots.

You can believe what you want, I live it here in NZ and been involved in two districts In the last 15 years. And I can 100% tell you its dying at an alarming rate.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Hey mate, any chance you could post the link to the article you mentioned ? Would be keen to read it.

Sounds like Gus Gould might have misread things in NZ. He said the game was going good and the Warriors will be flying in a couple of seasons when the players come through the pathways he set up.

taste2taste

Juniors
Thanks for posting. Being on the front lines any ideas how to adress the decline in numbers or why players are leaving?
The article mentions unions numbers are also down, are people playing less contact sports ?
League only being played in less than 10% of schools is a worry.

If you're a talented kid in NZ looking to play professionally what is the incentive to play league ? There's only 1 team ( that are horrible) or you move away from your family to play in Australia. It must be hard to get any of the top talent playing league. Although, the Warriors did get Gus to help them with thier pathways so we'll see in the next few years if that bears any fruit.

Any idea what TV ratings are for the NRL ? Thats what codes live and die by and is the best way to measure the sports health.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Thanks for posting. Being on the front lines any ideas how to adress the decline in numbers or why players are leaving?
The article mentions unions numbers are also down, are people playing less contact sports ?
League only being played in less than 10% of schools is a worry.

If you're a talented kid in NZ looking to play professionally what is the incentive to play league ? There's only 1 team ( that are horrible) or you move away from your family to play in Australia. It must be hard to get any of the top talent playing league. Although, the Warriors did get Gus to help them with thier pathways so we'll see in the next few years if that bears any fruit.

Any idea what TV ratings are for the NRL ? Thats what codes live and die by and is the best way to measure the sports health.
I think it's not that bad given there's been a pandemic on and the only NRL team they had has been in Redcliffe.
It's highly expected!
A good performance by the Kiwis in the finals, the return of the Warriors and a decent season from them and I'd be surprised if it didn't bounce straight back to where it was.
League in NZ had a massive boost when they won the WC in 2008. There's no reason not to expect the same this time.

taste2taste

Juniors
I think it's not that bad given there's been a pandemic on and the only NRL team they had has been in Redcliffe.
It's highly expected!
A good performance by the Kiwis in the finals, the return of the Warriors and a decent season from them and I'd be surprised if it didn't bounce straight back to where it was.
League in NZ had a massive boost when they won the WC in 2008. There's no reason not to expect the same this time.
Good pionts, it would be interesting to see the demographic of the 2k players who left, was it 38 year olds who couldn't be bothered getting back in shape after covid lock downs ? Or is it 20 year olds leaving the game ?

Iamback

Coach
Good pionts, it would be interesting to see the demographic of the 2k players who left, was it 38 year olds who couldn't be bothered getting back in shape after covid lock downs ? Or is it 20 year olds leaving the game ?

Over here it is the working aged people pulling out, I suspect it is a common problem

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Wales coach John Kear has lambasted the rule.

Last edited: