What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attendances

Lets see in the final wash up if 2023 has mirrored the shtshow of 2017 or not.
shit show ?

well despite your groin groping about how much better it will be then 2017, all i've seen is the poms put on slightly better then a shit show so far in 2022
its been quite under whelming actually 😎

Perth Red

Post Whore
shit show ?

well despite your groin groping about how much better it will be then 2017, all i've seen is the poms put on slightly better then a shit show so far in 2022
its been quite under whelming actually 😎
yeh, when a RLWC final cant get close to selling out a 52k stadium in RL heartland with the home nation featuring, I'd call it a sht show. The marketing was appalling. The only good RLWC2017 things were the FTA covg here, and the games of course, especially Tongas games were a thing to behold..

You're underwhelmed? Why what was you expecting post 1 year covid delay, snubbing by Oz and NZ, and English economy melt down? So far figures are better all round in every metric than previous RLWC's.

yeh, when a RLWC final cant get close to selling out a 52k stadium in RL heartland with the home nation featuring, I'd call it a sht show. The marketing was appalling. The only good RLWC2017 things were the FTA covg here, and the games of course, especially Tongas games were a thing to behold..

You're underwhelmed? Why what was you expecting post 1 year covid delay, snubbing by Oz and NZ, and English economy melt down? So far figures are better all round in every metric than previous RLWC's.

eh
if it was an origin game Suncorp would have sold out in 5 minutes like it always does , the poms just don't excite Aussie RL fans anymore & thats completely on them , not us.

No excuse for english rl fans in england in 2022
the best RL available to them is being played ...& they haven't responded to date like we were promised they would ...
something about a nutshell right there ...

now there is scope for a big improvement from here ...
3 ok quarter finals & one absolute belter in prospect ( that all pacifika 1/4 will be a humdinger)
1 very promising semi ( the england one ) If tonga get through ... Samoa won't beat the poms , & the other semi that IMO will be a tremendous game & worthy to be the final IMO

Final will be an easy win to the Aussie /Kiwi semi winner but will draw a crowd if England get through

Perth Red

Post Whore
eh
if it was an origin game Suncorp would have sold out in 5 minutes like it always does , the poms just don't excite Aussie RL fans anymore & thats completely on them , not us.

No excuse for english rl fans in england in 2022
the best RL available to them is being played ...& they haven't responded to date like we were promised they would ...
something about a nutshell right there ...

now there is scope for a big improvement from here ...
3 ok quarter finals & one absolute belter in prospect ( that all pacifika 1/4 will be a humdinger)
1 very promising semi ( the england one ) If tonga get through ... Samoa won't beat the poms , & the other semi that IMO will be a tremendous game & worthy to be the final IMO

Final will be an easy win to the Aussie /Kiwi semi winner but will draw a crowd if England get through
blah blah, its you not me lol yeh we can see from the defections Australians care more about their state than their country.

2017 was crap in its marketing, there was no hype, Sydney didnt even want to be part of it, Brisbane had a half arsed effort in the days leading up to the final. If anything it showed we'll be better playing in NZ and PI next time and by passing Australia until it starts to care about IRL.
ps I went to the final, did you? No? thought so.

pool games RLWC 2017
NZ+PNG 16.6k avg
Australia 10.7k avg

It was good to see Perth getting by far the biggest crowd for an Australian pool game not featuring Australia. Go WA!

so far we dont need an excuse, like I said all the metrics so far are surpassing previous RLWC's.
There's always scope for improvement when it comes to our game, it will be carved on RL's gravestone lol

Last edited:
blah blah, its you not me lol yeh we can see from the defections Australians care more about their state than their country.

2017 was crap in its marketing, there was no hype, Sydney didnt even want to be part of it, Brisbane had a half arsed effort in the days leading up to the final. If anything it showed we'll be better playing in NZ and PI next time and by passing Australia until it starts to care about IRL.
ps I went to the final, did you? No? thought so.

pool games RLWC 2017
NZ+PNG 16.6k avg
Australia 10.7k avg

It was good to see Perth getting by far the biggest crowd for an Australian pool game not featuring Australia. Go WA!

so far we dont need an excuse, like I said all the metrics so far are surpassing previous RLWC's.
There's always scope for improvement when it comes to our game, it will be carved on RL's gravestone
we care about the best our game can be & will flock to that in numbers you soap dodgers could only dream about , sadly with a few exceptions the poms have trotted out Oxygen thieves for the last 50 years
Nice to see some aussies represent their heritage recently but that ain't gunna fire us up much either , so...
Improve or the international games death is on you lot

& yea you need an excuse
its been lame .... we were told expect a lot
pretty much zip to date has all thats been delivered.... theres that nutshell again

yakstorm

First Grade
It's been 15 years since a Brisbane Origin game has sold out in the same weekend it has gone on sale and even this year's match saw thousands of free tickets distributed in the week it was getting plated because it hadn't sold out.

Brisbane Origin use to sell out quickly because you could buy Cat As for under $80. In 2007 that was changed and prices increased significantly as the NRL experimented with variable pricing, etc you try and maximise gate receipts.

From an NRL side, they are happy with selling 1 ticket for $400, than trying to sell 4 for $100 (hope to instead sell 2 or 3 at that before filling the rest with freebies)

The World Cup's approach hasn't been much different, except they haven't done the freebies and unfortunately the economic situation in the UK is really dire.

It's been 15 years since a Brisbane Origin game has sold out in the same weekend it has gone on sale and even this year's match saw thousands of free tickets distributed in the week it was getting plated because it hadn't sold out.

Brisbane Origin use to sell out quickly because you could buy Cat As for under $80. In 2007 that was changed and prices increased significantly as the NRL experimented with variable pricing, etc you try and maximise gate receipts.

From an NRL side, they are happy with selling 1 ticket for $400, than trying to sell 4 for $100 (hope to instead sell 2 or 3 at that before filling the rest with freebies)

The World Cup's approach hasn't been much different, except they haven't done the freebies and unfortunately the economic situation in the UK is really dire.
point remains
international RL aint the boat floater in Aus & hasn't been for 50 plus years & certainly since origin got popular around 30 years ago

& I also recall pissy pants PR aka krusty the clown roundly criticising PVL , Australia & NZ for pulling out of this world cup a year ago

if things are dire now in pommy land , imagine how they would have been a year ago... disaster averted

you're welcome 😎

Dark Corner

Juniors
youve gone off a bit early on this one lol. They've already said it has made more revenue from corporates and ticket sales than any other world cup. As long as England dont stuff up the semi and final crowds should be bigger than 2017 (92k target). We have seen pool game crowds avg nearly 10k and draw as many in non RL cities as in heartlands, a cause for celebration maybe? England's attendances have been bigger than Australia's in 2017, pool avg attendance isnt much different than 2017 despite 3 of the sides playing at home then.
Lets see in the final wash up if 2023 has mirrored the shtshow of 2017 or not.
Well 2013 was much better then 2022 for crowds.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Just over 20k sold for England Game, Tonga v Samoa close to 10k....other two games not selling well....

Unconfirmed source on Twitter...

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Am I missing something? Due to high demand you drop the ticket price?

I was confused too. It is still confusing.

But my reading of it is that there was lots of demand for the cheapest tickets and bugger all demand for the more expensive ones. So they reduced the price of the expensive ones to be closer to the cheaper ticket prices.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well 2013 was much better then 2022 for crowds.
pool game avg is down around 22% from 2013. Some mitigation in having France play in France in 2013 but the Aus and NZ crowds in particular have been much lower this tournament. We also had more lower drawing teams in this tournament than in 2013 which effects avg.
England's pool avg is down about 10% on 2013.

All in all 22k less tickets were sold than in 2013, but at a much higher price therefore more money was earnt. Begs the question, would you rather sell more tickets or make more money?

2013 Englands 1/4 final in 2013 drew 22.2k. 2013 1/4 final avg 14.2k.

The semis will be very interesting. 2013 we did a Doubleheader at Wembley and got a very impressive 67k to it. Hard to see Elland road and Emirates stadium combined topping that.

The 2013 final was a sell out at Old Trafford 74.4k

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
pool game avg is down around 22% from 2013. Some mitigation in having France play in France in 2013 but the Aus and NZ crowds in particular have been much lower this tournament. We also had more lower drawing teams in this tournament than in 2013 which effects avg.
England's pool avg is down about 10% on 2013.

All in all 22k less tickets were sold than in 2013, but at a much higher price therefore more money was earnt. Begs the question, would you rather sell more tickets or make more money?

2013 Englands 1/4 final in 2013 drew 22.2k. 2013 1/4 final avg 14.2k.

The semis will be very interesting. 2013 we did a Doubleheader at Wembley and got a very impressive 67k to it. Hard to see Elland road and Emirates stadium combined topping that.

The 2013 final was a sell out at Old Trafford 74.4k
What do you think each of the semis and the final will pull?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do you think each of the semis and the final will pull?
Its hard to say, final should sell out. Eng semi in London is anyone's guess. same for Elland Rd.The fans havent gone to Aus/NZ games this time like previous tournaments. Not sure if Wembley isnt available but it worked so well last time I'm surprised they didnt go with a doubleheader semi there again. Would have been better maybe to host a doubleheader at emirates. Would have probably sold out.

I'll take a punt and say
Emirates semi 30k
Elland Rd Semi 22k

ticket prices are 30-110GBP so options for every budget. the 30 pound corner seats are certainly good value compared to the 100pound same position corner seats I paid for Origin in Perth!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its hard to say, final should sell out. Eng semi in London is anyone's guess. same for Elland Rd.The fans havent gone to Aus/NZ games this time like previous tournaments. Not sure if Wembley isnt available but it worked so well last time I'm surprised they didnt go with a doubleheader semi there again. Would have been better maybe to host a doubleheader at emirates. Would have probably sold out.

I'll take a punt and say
Emirates semi 30k
Elland Rd Semi 22k

ticket prices are 30-110GBP so options for every budget. the 30 pound corner seats are certainly good value compared to the 100pound same position corner seats I paid for Origin in Perth!
Thanks

Hopefully the Kiwis and Aussies can push their crowd a bit higher. Will be a cracking match so hopefully the marketing is ramped up.

I think the three matches in 2013 drew 142k and 92k in 2017. To beat 2013 we'd need the Aus NZ match closer to 30k and England closer to 40k and a sold out final.

Do you think an England Old Trafford Semi and a London Final would work?

The final will draw fans from everywhere and a big England semi in the North would probably do better than London

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks

Hopefully the Kiwis and Aussies can push their crowd a bit higher. Will be a cracking match so hopefully the marketing is ramped up.

I think the three matches in 2013 drew 142k and 92k in 2017. To beat 2013 we'd need the Aus NZ match closer to 30k and England closer to 40k and a sold out final.

Do you think an England Old Trafford Semi and a London Final would work?

The final will draw fans from everywhere and a big England semi in the North would probably do better than London
Old trafford is big enough now that makes sense for final to be held there. Guarantees a sell out hopefully regardless of whose playing. As mentioned Id probably have held a semi double header in london again. Worked well in 2013 and no reason it wouldnt have sold out Emirates I suspect.
Again though we dont know the behind the scenes deals been done in regards to hosting rights, corporate sales etc so hard to know financially which would be better. Its not just about fan gate takings anymore.

Gobsmacked

Bench
7k sold as of two days ago for Aus vs Lebanon and 8k sold for Tonga v Samoa
It's a bit disappointing but it does feel like it has a lot do do with the economic climate in England as winter heating bills kick in.
The NRL crowds have been stagnant for decades but the revenue has been sky-rocketing with the TV numbers.
Let's hope it's the same.

Northern

Juniors
Lots of empty seats sadly. Looks very low crowd. See what I mean about “medium availability.” I suppose I could have gone tonight but the cash only goes so far. At both games next week and final. It’s a shocking look on tv, let’s be honest, the players deserve better crowds. I do believe it’s the cost of living and all games on free to air.

Latest posts