What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attn: Lampard Haters

El Coconuto

Bench
Steven Gerrard said:
Who is captaining England in the Spain match this week? Hmmm

By virtue of a John Terry injury, mind you...

Haha, you're making it sound as though we don't like Gerrard. I like the guy. I'm cheering for him any time he's not wearing red (ie with England). I can't say I'd take Gerrard before Lampard. I wouldn't. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what Gerrard does. He's a gun.

(Oh, one more thing: bear in mind that David Beckham has been England captain for the last six years. Hahaha! Just because you're the skipper hardly means you're the best player out there...)

Bumble

First Grade
I love all the people judging him on his World Cup performance alone.

Go watch Chelsea's dvd's from 04/05 or 05/06 season, or 06/07 clips on youtube.

Go watch England's qualifiers or Euro 2004 campaign.

Lampard was the lynch pin in all of those cases.

Azkatro

First Grade
I started supporting Chelsea about 7 years ago now, back when they had potential, movie star Dennis Wise as their captain, Vialli as the manager and frequent let-downs for the supporters. Can't say I was all that pleased about the money injection, as a fan you always want your club to raise its own juniors into a world beating side that keeps the core together and wins every year for 10 years.

On the topic of Lampard, like Terry he can be proud that he established himself in a side that spent lots of funny money on some super players and remained the lynch pin throughout. He comes across a bit like Beckham though, a fine player but hardly Roy Keane material in the toughness department.

fish eel

Immortal
also...Lampard the lynch pin of england at euro 2004.

didnt they underachieve as per normal at that tournament as well?

Lampard is good. Not great.

Great players shine and drive their nations to atleast world cup and euro finals.

Macca_

Coach
Phillips said:
i'd take Cesc Fabregas over both players anyday of the week :)
2 of them (Fabregas and Gerrard) were selected in the uefa.com team of the year (2006).

Nearly 4 million votes were cast and the team is -

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
Gianluca Zambrotta (FC Barcelona)
Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid CF)
Carles Puyol (FC Barcelona)
Philipp Lahm (FC Bayern München)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool FC)
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal FC)
Kaká (AC Milan)
Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona)
Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC)
Samuel Eto'o (FC Barcelona)
Coach: Frank Rijkaard (FC Barcelona)

http://www.uefa.com/fanzone/teamoftheyear/news/newsid=497866.html

nibbs

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
De Rossi >> Gerrard >> Lampard.

lol. nice one, hybrid.

de rossi is thug though, so he fits right in at roma, and in serie a for that matter

Bumble

First Grade
fish eel said:
also...Lampard the lynch pin of england at euro 2004.

didnt they underachieve as per normal at that tournament as well?

Lampard is good. Not great.

Great players shine and drive their nations to atleast world cup and euro finals.

No French, Greek, Portuguese, Swede, Italian or German outscored him in the tournament.

Lampard did all he could to take them further...the rest of the team bar Rooney were having none of it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I was taking the piss.

However De Rossi is quality and one of the best young midfielders in Europe.

"World Clarrshhh" as fozzie would say. :D

Bumble

First Grade
On a side note, if Roma play Celtic in the CL Quarters a sig bet must be had.

Bumble

First Grade
No one is scheduled to meet anyone yet. Another draw takes place. With Milan being a complete rabble atm, we are big chance.