What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland Nines

Nines

• Good

Votes: 59 88.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

legend

Coach
Needs to have invitational sides from Pacific nations, Canada, USA etc and up the prize money. Tight arses!

It's a great concept and I think the NRL and event promoters pulled it off very well. Loads of potential. It's generated shit loads of publicity and attention for the game, not to mention the monetary benefits able to gained. That can be filtered into the season proper.

My criticisms/areas for improvement would be ones that have probably already been mentioned, and are:

- Improve the shoddy camera work
- Gear the prize money more highly towards the winners and more successful teams in the tournament
- Get more teams to commit properly to it and take it more seriously

I don't think the event should be opened to other teams just yet. Keep it exclusive for a while longer, it'll increase its importance/prestige. Hell I'd keep it exclusive to NRL teams until the deal with playing the tournament solely in Auckland runs out, after that move it around to different areas or the highest bidders.

BranVan3000

Coach
Good, but lets not play it on a cricket pitch next time?

By the QF I was hoping my team would be knocked out just to avoid further injuries

Card Shark

Immortal
- Gear the prize money more highly towards the winners and more successful teams in the tournament

I don't think the event should be opened to other teams just yet. Keep it exclusive for a while longer, it'll increase its importance/prestige. Hell I'd keep it exclusive to NRL teams until the deal with playing the tournament solely in Auckland runs out, after that move it around to different areas or the highest bidders.

Agree with all this R_P.

Open it up to other teams maybe in yr 3 or 4, when the gloss has gone off it a bit.

beave

Coach
What if there was another pool (call it purple, whatever) added

Have the winners and runners up of both Qcup and NSW cups in their own pool. Players cant be currently contracted to a first grade club as a basic stipulation (cutters and pride are littered with NQ contracted players). Could provide a bit of an under dog/good feeling vibe to the comp, well even more than what it currently does.

Just throwing it out there.

LJC

Juniors
It's a great concept and I think the NRL and event promoters pulled it off very well. Loads of potential. It's generated shit loads of publicity and attention for the game, not to mention the monetary benefits able to gained. That can be filtered into the season proper.

My criticisms/areas for improvement would be ones that have probably already been mentioned, and are:

- Improve the shoddy camera work

Spot on !

Completely agree.

russ13

First Grade
New Zealand TV audience
(Sunday)

Most watched daytime (9am – 5pm)

1. NRL AKL Nines: 172,660 (SKY Sport 2, 4:20pm – 4:45pm)
  2. NRL AKL Nines: 155,220 (SKY Sport 2, 1:40pm – 2:10pm)
  3. NRL AKL Nines: 130,210 (SKY Sport 2, 1:15pm – 1:35pm)
  4. NRL AKL Nines: 112,640 (SKY Sport 2, 3:55pm – 4:15pm)
  5. NRL AKL Nines: 109,660 (SKY Sport 2, 2:10pm – 2:30pm)

Most watched on SKY Sport 2

1. NRL AKL Nines: 172,660 (4:20pm – 4:45pm)
  2. NRL AKL Nines: 155,960 (6:05pm – 6:40pm)
  3. NRL AKL Nines: 155,220 (1:40pm – 2:10pm)
  4. NRL AKL Nines: 147,030 (5:45pm – 6:05pm)
  5. NRL AKL Nines: 131,460 (7:30pm – 7:55pm)

http://www.throng.co.nz/2014/02/tv-ratings-16-february-2014/

Last edited:

LJC

Juniors
New Zealand TV audience

Most watched daytime (9am ? 5pm)

1. NRL AKL Nines: 172,660 (SKY Sport 2, 4:20pm ? 4:45pm)
  2. NRL AKL Nines: 155,220 (SKY Sport 2, 1:40pm ? 2:10pm)
  3. NRL AKL Nines: 130,210 (SKY Sport 2, 1:15pm ? 1:35pm)
  4. NRL AKL Nines: 112,640 (SKY Sport 2, 3:55pm ? 4:15pm)
  5. NRL AKL Nines: 109,660 (SKY Sport 2, 2:10pm ? 2:30pm)

Most watched on SKY Sport 2

1. NRL AKL Nines: 172,660 (4:20pm ? 4:45pm)
  2. NRL AKL Nines: 155,960 (6:05pm ? 6:40pm)
  3. NRL AKL Nines: 155,220 (1:40pm ? 2:10pm)
  4. NRL AKL Nines: 147,030 (5:45pm ? 6:05pm)
  5. NRL AKL Nines: 131,460 (7:30pm ? 7:55pm)

http://www.throng.co.nz/2014/02/tv-ratings-16-february-2014/

Excellent ratings figures!

Begs the question : How on earth did a free to air channel in Australia not take this tournament on for coverage!?

It reeks of incompetence from free to air providers/programmers as the many digital channels are there to be used!

I hope they(free to air broadcasters) have to pay a much higher price to secure the TV rights next season if they have woken up to this great product!

LJC

Juniors
The Auckland 9s was also the highest rating TV show in OZ on Pay TV on Sunday by 100s of thousands!

Canard

Immortal
lost interest in it towards the end. Partly because I knew Manly had no chance of going all the way (though I really wasn't too fussed about the result) but also because I've pretty much watched nothing but sport since the olympics started and I was getting a bit bored of the repetition. Would have enjoyed it more if NZ had gone all the way, they were incredible to watch. Having said that, NQ really lifted towards the end of the tournament and deserved the win.

Good enough reason for me.

Let's scrap it.

Diesel

Referee
The Auckland 9s was also the highest rating TV show in OZ on Pay TV on Sunday by 100s of thousands!

If be interesting to know how many purchased the NRL app over the weekend too as that wouldn't have been counted.

I got the annual subscription and was really impressed with it

Usain Bolt

Bench
Looks like the 9's will be on the last weekend of January next year due to Eden Parks cricket World Cup commitments.

TheDalek079

Bench
don't think they need that much time to prep it. Eden Park usually uses drop in wickets. most world cup have that exclusion zone before the tournament starts though.

hellteam

First Grade
What if there was another pool (call it purple, whatever) added

Have the winners and runners up of both Qcup and NSW cups in their own pool. Players cant be currently contracted to a first grade club as a basic stipulation (cutters and pride are littered with NQ contracted players). Could provide a bit of an under dog/good feeling vibe to the comp, well even more than what it currently does.

Just throwing it out there.

How about qld/NSW cup rep team. I think they'd go well.
Could also put an indigenous team (1 player from each club) and maybe a few internationals

Latest posts