What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS TEST TEAM ANNOUNCED

SirShire

First Grade
Why not just tell me? I reckon he will play again and he is in unreal form. There is a bit of talk of him coming back to the international scene.

Craig

Juniors
McSharkie said:
The Test team will be exactly the same with Warne and Lehman coming in for MacGill and Waugh. I think it is fair enough to have picked Lehman for this tour. It will probably be his last.

Hmmmmmm......There is a tour of India, the likely tour of Zimbabwe (that's if CA dont cancel it), also against Sri Lanka as well in Darwin & Cairns.

Craig

Juniors
Salmon said:
Why not just tell me? I reckon he will play again and he is in unreal form. There is a bit of talk of him coming back to the international scene.

Apprantly the Australian team dont like his attitude as he wont talk to anybody when he gets out and is basically like that all day.

Macca

Coach
Craig said:
McSharkie said:
The Test team will be exactly the same with Warne and Lehman coming in for MacGill and Waugh. I think it is fair enough to have picked Lehman for this tour. It will probably be his last.

Hmmmmmm......There is a tour of India, the likely tour of Zimbabwe (that's if CA dont cancel it), also against Sri Lanka as well in Darwin & Cairns.

When I say, his last tour, I mean that this is the last time he will go away with the Aussies. I am including India and Zimbabwe and the Tests they play in Australia next summer. After that I don't think he'll tour again. This will be his last year is what I should have said.

Anonymous

Juniors
Craig said:
GoTheBears said:
This is just dumb. Why the hell isnt Michael Clarke in the side, let alone the squad! They are getting rid of people cos they are to old then replacing them with 30+ year olds. Trever Hohns [-X

Perhaps Lehmann has actually earnt and deserves his spot.

Lol, I guess people can say how right I was about Clarke after all.

Its too hard being right :twisted: :D 8) :lol:

Craig if Michael Clarke doesn't end up becoming the superstar he is destined to be then I'll eat my hat.

Macca

Coach
Craig, people will never be saying you are right about Clarke. Sure he has 2 ducks in a row. Do you know who else had an ordinary run a few years back. Ricky Ponting. He got a few ducks in a row. Lucky the Australian selectors don't listen to you mate.

Doctor

Bench
Damien Martyn would have been unlucky to miss out - his performances in sub-continent conditions have been quite good. There is still pressure on him to perform though, I'll grant you that. But if he plays as well as he has the potential to play, I'd say he will re-confirm his spot - sooner rather than later hopefully.

Stuart MacGill's selection is obvious - but provided Warne is there. I wonder whether Warne's final couple of weeks in Australia, and any lead up matches in Sri Lanka, will be used to assess whether to pop him in straight away instead of carrying him on the tour.

Symonds' selection is interesting, especially at the expense of Clarke. If they wanted spin then Clarke can clearly provide some extra support. One can only guess they want Symond's ability to bowl like Funky Miller - spin and mediums. Clarke can feel justifiably hard done by on this one - he should have been on the tour, no questions asked. Delaying the inevitable.

Seccombe always had a 50:50 with Haddin - I'm just surprised they're taking an extra keeper.

An interesting squad to pick, especially with Symonds as a test bolter. I'd said that Symonds had no chance of playing Test cricket in a hurry. Clearly one season of great ODI stats, some handy Pura Cup stats and an ability to bowl variety has worked for him.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
NC said:
Tamazoid said:
PARRA_FAN said:
Tamazoid said:
Kasprowicz can keep the runs down - even on the flat subcontinent pitches. He's the man, and Williams or Lee will have to give way.

Suprised he wasnt picked in the Indian test series if they thought he was the type of bowler to keep the runs down.

That's because Kaspa never gets noticed and is extremely underrated.
Ditto.

Unfortunatley for him, the selectors stuck with Bichel and an unfit Gillespie.

Craig

Juniors
McSharkie said:
Craig, people will never be saying you are right about Clarke. Sure he has 2 ducks in a row. Do you know who else had an ordinary run a few years back. Ricky Ponting. He got a few ducks in a row. Lucky the Australian selectors don't listen to you mate.

But that hasnt been my point.

I have been saying he isnt ready yet and I'm not convinced about his consistency in FC cricket. To be fair he has ben away with the ODI team.

Anyway 1d cricket bears no relevance on Tests. Case in point Michael Bevan Good, very good in only one form of the game, but not in both.

I was right about him not getting selected in the Test team.

Clearly you need to take your NSW coloured glasses off.

Macca

Coach
My NSW glasses will never be taken off while we produce the best cricketers. Clarke is ready, you are wrong and so are the selectors. Lehman deserved his spot for this tour but Clarke should be in the squad.

Anonymous

Juniors
If someone could tell me how Symonds has earned his test call up it would be much appreciated.

If form in one day internationals is good enough to earn a nod from selectors, why has Bevan been confined to one dayers only all these years? There's a plethora of players with far better claims for a spot than symonds.

The Colonel

Immortal
Craig said:
Anyway 1d cricket bears no relevance on Tests. Case in point Michael Bevan Good, very good in only one form of the game, but not in both.

Explain then how Symonds managed to be picked for the Test side with modest returns in first class cricket?

He has played 2 first class matches this season for an average of 37.33 with the bat and an average of 24.25 with the ball. Modest but ahead of others not great. He has been picked because of his One Day form.

Anonymous

Juniors
Craig said:

You're talking crap mate. Bevan may not have played well in tests, but since he was dropped he has been given inadequate oppurtunities. In shield cricket the bloke has scored over 16000 runs at an average of 57 odd. He has scored 59 centuries. Any talk that Bevan wouldn't have made it given the oppurtunities handed to Langer and Martyn is crap.

Having said that, i'm very skeptical of Symonds selection. It seems that if you're mates with people in the team, and "one of the boys" then that's half the battle.

Craig

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
Explain then how Symonds managed to be picked for the Test side with modest returns in first class cricket?

He hasnt been picked in the side, he has been picked in the squad :roll:

I hardly think his bowling is anything special, and he is picked because of this "Colin Miller" rubbish. I dont think he really deserved to be there.

Just because you get picked in the Australian squad doent make you a great cricket and better then everybody else playing world cricket.

Tigertread

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
In shield cricket the bloke has scored over 16000 runs at an average of 57 odd. He has scored 59 centuries.
Not quite correct.
In Sheild/Pura Cup Bevan has scored just over 8000 runs at just over 61 with 32, tons and 32, 50s. A very good record.

Anonymous

Juniors
Tigertread said:
Balmain_Boy said:
In shield cricket the bloke has scored over 16000 runs at an average of 57 odd. He has scored 59 centuries.
Not quite correct.
In Sheild/Pura Cup Bevan has scored just over 8000 runs at just over 61 with 32, tons and 32, 50s. A very good record.
:oops:
Agreed, I took his first class record which assumedly includes county cricket. I still stand by what I have said ;-)

Craig

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
You're talking crap mate. Bevan may not have played well in tests, but since he was dropped he has been given inadequate oppurtunities. In shield cricket the bloke has scored over 16000 runs at an average of 57 odd. He has scored 59 centuries. Any talk that Bevan wouldn't have made it given the oppurtunities handed to Langer and Martyn is crap.

Bevan had his chances and never took them. He is an Australian version of Graeme Hick, Mark Ramprakash.