What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS TEST TEAM ANNOUNCED

Anonymous

Juniors
Craig said:
Balmain_Boy said:
You're talking crap mate. Bevan may not have played well in tests, but since he was dropped he has been given inadequate oppurtunities. In shield cricket the bloke has scored over 16000 runs at an average of 57 odd. He has scored 59 centuries. Any talk that Bevan wouldn't have made it given the oppurtunities handed to Langer and Martyn is crap.

Bevan had his chances and never took them. He is an Australian version of Graeme Hick, Mark Ramprakash.

Rubbish. He was dropped far to early. Another victim of not being one of the boys, a non-drinker in fact. What a surprise :roll: Oh, by the way, Hick played 65 tests, and Ramprakash 52. Bevo played 18.

Macca

Coach
Well, if he doesn't drink then he shouldn't be in the one day side either! (jokes)

I just saw Stuey MacGill on the news

He said he has done a good job over the past 12 months

I wonder what games he's been watching?
He's f**king awful!

wittyz chick

Coach
I know people have been blaming Hohns for Clarke missing out on selection but i'd like to give him a wrap...from an article from the Sun-Herald this morning.

Michael Clarke has received the clearest outline yet of his Australian team standing following an honest conversation with chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns.
Hohns took the unusual step of explaining to Clarkewhy he was overlooked for the test squad which assembled in Colombo yesterday.
Clarke was appreciative that Hohns took the time after announcing the squad to inform him he was still on the right track. "First Trevor rang me and then he spoke to me the next morning," Clarke said.
"He explained the reasons why they picked the players they did in front of me. He reminded me that I'm young and have time on my side and he explained what role they see me filling in the future. It was really good that he took the time out to explain it to me."

They're the finer point of the article...not the full article and i cant find the link to the full story.

SirShire

First Grade
Bevo just never cemented that test spot that he wanted. He'll always be more famous, wether he plays test again or not, for his ability in the ODIs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wittyz chick said:
I know people have been blaming Hohns for Clarke missing out on selection but i'd like to give him a wrap...from an article from the Sun-Herald this morning.

Michael Clarke has received the clearest outline yet of his Australian team standing following an honest conversation with chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns.
Hohns took the unusual step of explaining to Clarkewhy he was overlooked for the test squad which assembled in Colombo yesterday.
Clarke was appreciative that Hohns took the time after announcing the squad to inform him he was still on the right track. "First Trevor rang me and then he spoke to me the next morning," Clarke said.
"He explained the reasons why they picked the players they did in front of me. He reminded me that I'm young and have time on my side and he explained what role they see me filling in the future. It was really good that he took the time out to explain it to me."

They're the finer point of the article...not the full article and i cant find the link to the full story.

Enough beating around the bush, what did he say.

wittyz chick

Coach
i would have to type out the full article but it never says what Hohns actually said.
but do you want the full article anyway?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not really, I just thought there may be a bit more substance in the article.

Sounds like the whole article does not clearly state what the conversation was.

wittyz chick

Coach
it just said that Hohns rang Clarke up told him why he wasnt picked (doesnt say what he said) and then went on about him going to England to play for Hampshire

Andrew Symonds does deserve a crack at the test side. It's not what he has done since the World Cup but the way he has done it. He has finally got his temperament right. he has learnt to build an innings rather than go out and blaze away. He has played many a great knock and has been in great form in the ODI version of the game. But more importantly he is one of a few that are playing the Sri lankan spinners well, he adds a spark in the field that will be needed during the long hot days in the field. he has improved an enormous amount in the last 12 months. I think he is ready for a Test match.

Now to Michael Clarke he is very similar to Andrew Symonds and at the moment is still getting out to poor shots at inopportune times. Last night being a case in point. Playing that poor shot when given the opportunity to open. he will be in the Aussie side make nn bones about it and it will be within the next 12 months. But at the moment I think Symonds and Katich who have played a lot more first class cricket then Clarke are the ones that are ready right now. Clarke doesn't even average 40 in first class cricket.

As for Seccombe he will play the first class game to give Gilly a rest that's all he is there for.

Kaspa deserves a spot and has always done well on the sub continent and Katich's game suits the sub continent as does Boofs.

The 11 I would go for for the First Test are

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Lehmann
Katich
Gilchrist
Symonds
Warne
Gillespie
Kasprowicz
Williams/Hogg depending on conditions.

Macca

Coach
I was so close to agreeing with you until I saw your bowling line up. It is obvious that more spin and less pace is needed in Sri Lanka. I totally agree with the top 9 you have picked but after that it has to be Lee and MacGill. For starters, Hogg is not in the test squad and MacGill did enough last year to be included. Katich and Symonds will do the rest. Now for the pacemen, you pick the two guys who are going to be the most devastating at the start and the end of a batting order and that is Lee and Gillespie. Lee will still bowl well with the new ball and at the end with his reverse swing at a pace the Sri Lankans won't handle, especially the lower order.

Craig

Juniors
Zoysa handled it well last night. Also Hogg has a chance of staying on with the Test team.

aqua_duck

Coach
Does anyone else think that Symond's one day form may have influenced his selection?

I think it'd be stupid of them to drop Katich, he's averaging 65 with the bat and 27 with the ball at the moment in test cricket, I know its only early days but can't do much better than that, also got to consider his form on the SCG against the Indian spinners and the fact that he's a handy spin bowler himself.

Craig

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Does anyone else think that Symond's one day form may have influenced his selection?

It did.

He wasnt picked as a geniune all-rounder as because he isnt.

Craig said:
I'm interested in that gilchrist has gone to 6.

Ricky Ponting hinted that Gilly will be 6 and Symonds 7 the other day. Today's game will be important.

MacGill and Warne won't be in the team together. I'd go for Warne. The quicks over in the sub continent have to be able to bowl and keep the runs down. Kasprowicz has a great record on the subcontinent (India especially) he is a better proposition then Brett Lee in subcontinent conditions and the recent ODI series has backed that up.