What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussies have rewritten history

Fairleigh Good! said:
When did Australia become the authority on how Rugby League should be played? They have rewritten the entire rule book and I can't believe that was a Rugby League match we have just watched tonight, it was indistinguishable at times from what we know as the sport over here.

No wonder Australia won't play GB with a neutral referee, no bloody wonder. The most glarring thing about it was the play the balls. I said last week that in Super League New Zealand would have been penalised off the field, tonight was far, far worse.

There were times in that game tonight where GB regularly went 75 metres in 5 tackles such was the dominance in the forwards. Despite this there were no, count them, no quick play the balls. Why? Because apparantly its now in the rules that the defending side can choose how long they hold down for. Whenever GB made a half break the Australian player who completed the tackle just lay motionless on top of the grounded player until every single one of the defensive line was set, even holding them down whilst they looked around and checked everyone was back. No penalties for this? Not one. Whenever Australia made a half break the GB players were up like a shot, fearing being penalised like they would be in Super League, thus creating more pressure for themselves.

And when did the high tackle rule change from being shots to the head to shots to the shoulder being penalised? Cunningham's hit in front of the post hit the guys arm, then shoulder and was penalised. Fitzgibbon didn't get any tackle tonight below the nose, and did more head locks than Hulk Hogan managed in his career. No penalties? Not one. The passage of play where one of the GB backs span out of three high shots in a row, then was elbowed on the floor was absolutely farcical. Mander didn't even blink.

Standing square at the play the ball too. Is this rule not applied in the NRL? Australia played tonight with two markers side by side, and a sweeper 5 yards back from that. Despite this when Cunningham or Higham exposed this by running at them for the clearest of penalties in the world, Mander allowed them to complete the tackle without penalising them?

Fair play to Australia for coming through in the end. The dominance of the pack by GB was worked around through some true brilliance in the halves and three quarters. For GB I thought our front row was immense tonight. Fielden was easily the best prop on show, Morley and Thackray supported him well. Peacock ran hard and Cunningham played well again, after coming back from his mistake with the interception.

It was the halves that cost GB again. How many times did we get to 10 yards from the Aussie line, only to sit there for 5 tackles without anything like a dangerous pass or run from the half backs. Again tonight only Cunningham had the ability to create a try, Harris was alright but Deacon was appalling again. They are international half backs who do not possess the ability to pass someone into a gap or go through themselves.

No problems with the result as we are clearly a step behind still. But the authorities need to sit down before the Super League and NRL kick off again and iron out how the game should be refereed. This should then be applied consistently in both competitions, as at the moment they are worlds apart in key areas.

If GB could find a fullback and two half backs by next year we could be competitive.

whinge, whinge, whinge, f**kin whinge

colonel_123

Juniors
Calixte said:
That combined with their inability to pin Australia on their line (a la the Kiwis driving Australia back into the in-goal from 10m out), by merely holding and not driving players back, were the biggest factors in their defeat.

They could have given them selves the chance to do this if their kicks had been finding the in goal.

During the second half they were getting into good field position but it was wasted by the inability to get repeat sets.

If you can get down to the opposition 20 metre zone in four tackles you get one play in good attacking position. If you get a repeat set from this play you then get four or five attacking opportunities.

Britain could get down into the Aus attacking zone, but because they kept handing the ball back to Australia, they could only attack on one play each set of six.

Calixte

First Grade
There should be no problem in attacking from outside the opposition 20m - or from on the wrong side of halfway for that matter.

Australia constantly try to attack when they are allowed to by their opposition.

GB continue (in this series, so far) to fail to play the quality, constructive football they have been capable of in the last year or two. Mainly because of an absence of three major players. And some lesser ones.

The lack of a decent kicking game and direction from a decent half was the main reason that GB lost today. Their pack was good, Fielden put in huge, and they gained yards easy enough, but when your best kicking option is your dummy half, it gets kind of easy to counter. Deacon is average, Harris has never lived upto the hype IMO...when you look at the Australian touring squad, with Lockyer, Prince, Barrett and Gower who can all play the tactical kicker role, you start to understand why we haven't lost a series for so long...for so many years, Australia has broken the game down to a science so that it is something that kids coming through understand. A solid game plan with strong last tackle options and necessary flair out wide will 99 times out of a 100 beat a team playing more or less off the cuff as GB seem to try and do at times.

choc_soldier

Coach
Immortal said:
The International commitee have to simple sit down & decide ONE set of rules for everything

Agreed, can't believe it hasn't been done yet. What could be possibly stopping them from this?

nqboy

First Grade
parra_panther said:
Agreed, can't believe it hasn't been done yet. What could be possibly stopping them from this?
I believe it was done several years ago but the NRL started tinkering at the edges and then making major changes at will. Until the RLIF is a serious body, nothing will change.

"No wonder Australia won't play GB with a neutral referee, no bloody wonder."

Remind me who referee'd the Tri-Series Final last year. Then remind me of the scoreline.

nqboy

First Grade
I reckon you blokes have been too harsh on FG. Yeah, there's a few sour grapes in there but there's a lot of good points too, and some admirable honesty about GB's shortcomings at fullback and in the halves. I don't watch ESL and couldn't comment on what their refs do but I like the dominant and surrender tackle calls and, given that the NRL sets the pace in RL, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to amend the rules as problems are identified. Certainly the communication, consultation and consistency could be improved so we all play the same rules, but if we wait for the Poms to get to a standard where rule changes are necessary, well, it may never happen.

I thought Mander went fairly well today but I agree with FG about the split markers, a problem that is increasing in the NRL and needs to be policed more strictly.

Maguire certainly, Long definitely not - an over-rated lightweight, Mather possibly - I read some good things on him some time ago but haven't seen him mentioned since, They're still short a worthwhile halfback. Deacon, Long, Burrow - dreadful if that's the best you can manage. Dunno if Horne's any better, he could hardly be worse than those three, none of whom would make any NRL side.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Memo Pommies: Mander is an NRL ref. He has ben trained since around 2002 that the slower gang tackling/dominant tackles are how the game works. Maybe not necessarily the ESL interpretation, but maybe some observation of the NRL would have fixed those probs.

NRL Referees now have 2 schools of thought: 1) Let the game flow - ignore minor infringements that would bore and frustrate a packed house at Old Trafford. Leave the endless penalties to the whistleblowers at Twicknham, and the fat slow Union forwards who need a breather after every 15 secondsof intense football.

2) Defence rules. It's not about rolling off the ball carrier in a mass panic circa 2001.

In Oz,we had similar interpretation problems with Russell Smith - IMHO the best international referee we have. Doesn't mean he's a crap ref. It means that one side hasn't done their homework.

Brian Noble should have done a Tim Sheens - had a chat with the ref pre game so that his players might be fully prepared.

ON the halves - their game was not helped by having no Pom who could run a decoy. Plenty of heroics in the GB jumper -sadly it's tactics that let you down. Your 3/4's wre awsome. They need better ball. And second phase from the forwards. Their fitness and courage is without question.

bartman

Immortal
I thought the GB performance was a big improvement on the effort in London a week before. The forwards really stepped up. As has been said, need something extra in the halves to make the most of their opportunities.

In terms of the reffing, I think the issue lies in the hypocracy of the Australian management not being willing to play under Glen Black, and then trotting out a ref in Mander whose interpretations are not all that different from Black's the week before? In ESL and the lower divisions, refs have to be neutral and aren't even allowed to ref matches involving their home town teams.

So people will be looking for a real reason to move away from that principle of neutral refs in international games, and - in the Mander/Black and game 3/4 comparisons - not finding any. I think more effort from our international body needs to be put into exchange programs for our countries' international refs, helping them get exposure in the different competitions and so neutral refereeing can be a reality that's acceptable to all concerned.

However I agree on people's comments about how Noble could have done more homework on the referees, and the opposition - especially before the game v the Kiwis, which was not the contest it should/could have been.

England doesn't have that one player that can create magic..... if you look through the whole team on paper.... all of them are good and consistent... but nothing... mind blowing. look at the australian team, you've got locky, mini, gasnier etc. New Zealand side you've got vagana, webb, webster...... you could say you poms have carney as your magician... but he doesn't perform consistently enough to call him the magician...

bluesbreaker

Bench
lol, excellent, another Locky worshiper to pick on. I'm sure you and I will have many an argument my young friend!

East Coast Tiger said:
Also to suggest the English style of footy is better to watch is crazy. The Poms have very little attacking ability and when they do score tries it usually comes from a one-out run by a big bloke. NZ and Australia play a far more entertaining brand of footy and that's how the game should be played.

The lines the SH players run are better than their NH counterparts . Also the skills and anything to do with the oval ball is better in the SH .

Razor

Coach
The International commitee have to simple sit down & decide ONE set of rules for everything

They have. There are international rules

However the international body can't force each competition to play under the international rules. Both the NRL and ESL have some differences.

A lot of sports are like that

Basketball - The NBL has some significant differences from the international rules
Ice Hockey - The NHL has some significant differences from the international rules
Tennis - The WTT has some significant differences from the international rules

Latest posts