What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aust v India test series discussion thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Nein News just said it was official now.

Adelaide test first and Sydney to start on Jan 6th,

Gabba will be second test

8Ball

First Grade
If they do the 3 back to back tests , talk of the SCG test being pushed back to give players a longer break over Xmas. It would stuff me up as have booked 3 days accommodation for the SCG test, but considering why it may be pushed back totally understandable, ill try and get the hotel to push the dates back as well, if not ill just chill out in Sydney and end up watching the test on tv

The Australian newspaper seemed to think playing the GABBA test after the SCG test as an option

We should know over the next 24 hours id imagine

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/story/805993.html

Players were united that Adelaide to be the first test of the summer. India are staying in Adelaide until further notice

Got this in my newsletter from Cricket Australia. Can't find a link though. You may want to get in touch with them for more info.

Cricket Australia is also seeking flexibility with accommodation providers when dealing with cricket fans who have travel bookings that are disrupted by these changes.

We appreciate your understanding during this difficult time for Australian cricket and we look forward to seeing you at the cricket throughout the summer.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/story/806295.html

No pressure on players for quick Test return

Brydon Coverdale

December 2, 2014

Australia v India
Dec 9-13: 1st Test, Adelaide Oval
Dec 17-21: 2nd Test, Gabba
Dec 26-30: 3rd Test, MCG
Jan 6-10: 4th Test, SCG

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland has said it will be up to individual players whether they feel ready for the first Test, which begins in Adelaide next Tuesday, six days after Phillip Hughes is laid to rest in his home town of Macksville.

A reworked four-Test schedule for the Australia-India series was released late on Monday night, with the Adelaide Test brought forward by three days and the Brisbane Test slotted in second. The fixture was developed in conjunction with the Australian Cricketers' Association and the BCCI.

Australia's players are expected to enter camp on Thursday - the day after Hughes' funeral - to begin preparations for the Adelaide Test. There is no question the match, at Hughes' adopted home ground, will be emotional for the Australians, and Sutherland said it would be up to each player to decide whether he felt ready to return to Test cricket so soon after farewelling Hughes.

"Absolutely up to the individual," Sutherland said. "Any player that is not comfortable or doesn't feel right, or there is medical advice to suggest that they're not quite right, then we will obviously understand that and I'm sure the broader public will understand that as well.

"Right now, there's a funeral tomorrow and let's understand that's going to be difficult enough as it is. There'll be a great temptation for people to speculate about who's going to play and how they're feeling. I'd just encourage everyone to give the players their space and let them in their own way work through that.

"Understand that we and the ACA will be supporting them, and no one will think ill of anyone who feels uncomfortable about it. Test cricket is a different game. It's not just going out there and playing a game of sport for a couple of hours. You need to go out there and commit to five days. You need to front up day after day after day. It's a big step and it's not just an ordinary sporting match."

The Adelaide Test will be the first in a rigorous new schedule that effectively has the Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne matches all back-to-back, before a slightly longer break ahead of the Sydney Test in January. The new fixture means that Melbourne's Boxing Day Test is the only one to retain its original dates.

"There's nothing perfect about what we've come up [with] here but we appreciate everyone's support and understanding in these tragic and extraordinary circumstances," Sutherland said. "The schedule will inconvenience a lot of people. We understand that. But we very much hope that in light of these extraordinary circumstances that everyone can see the big picture."

The tight nature of the original schedule meant there was a very real chance the Brisbane Test could have been cancelled entirely - Sutherland said such a move "was close". However, he said at no stage did Cricket Australia feel under pressure from broadcasters to deliver the full four-Test series or worry about compensation if the Gabba Test did not go ahead.

"It's been remarkable to talk to our commercial partners," Sutherland said. "I've had conversations with chief executives of our commercial partners including broadcasters, who have said 'we completely understand the circumstances you are in, we should be the last ones you worry about, just get it done, do whatever you've got to do to work it through but don't feel any pressure from us'. I think that's been magnificent."

Several of Australia's players have returned to light training with their states over the past two days. Josh Hazlewood bowled in the nets in Sydney on Monday, while most of his New South Wales team-mates kept to fitness training. Ryan Harris was bowling in the nets in Brisbane on Tuesday. The ACA and Cricket Australia will ensure all the players have access to support over the coming days, including counselling and sports psychologists.

Michael Clarke flew to Macksville on Monday morning and Sutherland was speaking at Sydney Airport on Tuesday morning, en route to the town himself. The funeral for Hughes will be held at 2pm on Macksville and will be broadcast live on Channel Nine, ABC News 24 TV, ABC Radio and Fairfax Radio.

India will be represented at the funeral by players Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and M Vijay, team director Ravi Shastri, coach Duncan Fletcher and team manager Arshad Ayub

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the thriving metropolis of Macksville will handle the huge influx, its not exactly a tourist destination set up with hotel resorts.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
FOX SPORTS News‏@FOXSportsNews8m8 minutes ago
BREAKING: Ryan Harris says he is considering withdrawing from next week’s first Test because of emotional reasons #cricket

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/as-phil-hughes-teammates-and-fans-converge-on-macksville-the-town-prepares-to-farewell-their-hero/story-fnii5s3x-1227141799229

As Phil Hughes’ teammates and fans converge on Macksville the town prepares to farewell their hero

This story was published: 23 minutes ago December 02, 2014 4:16PM

PHILLIP Hughes has been described as a “no fuss guy” who would be wondering what the “hell” was going on.

As the nation is expected to stop when Hughes is finally laid to rest, his manager James Henderson said it would be a sad day for the town of Macksville and broader community.

128585-18a280e6-79c4-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

288830-633a4c50-79d4-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

“But it will be a wonderful celebration of a young man who has achieved so much in his 26 years of life,” Henderson said, speaking on behalf of Hughes’ family at a media conference.

“He was a no fuss guy who will be looking down on all of this and wondering what the hell is going on.

“He made an unbelievable impression on the country.”

About 5000 people are expected to attend the funeral including up to 400 cricket dignitaries from Australia, NSW, South Australia and India.

Green and yellow ribbons have been tied to poles and posts along Wallace St where the foot procession will follow to the Pacific Highway.

127359-ced068d2-79c5-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

127385-cc5b464e-79c5-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

799097-5ad622d0-79b8-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
from the above article as well

865949-2974ef3c-79b8-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

Josh Bartlett, 17, helped paint Hughes’ baggy green cap number 408 on the oval of the Macksville ex services junior Cricket Club near the Hughes Family home in Macksville. Picture: Jason O'Brien Source: News Corp Australia

799203-2118bf94-79b8-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

At Macksville Scotts Head Surf Life Saving Club the Nippers had a minute silence to remember their local hero Phillip Hughes. Source: Supplied

Valiant_Raider

Juniors
I'm just wondering on everyone's thoughts on the idea of Phillip Hughes possibly being named 12th man for the first test?

I personally think it would be a fitting tribute by the team acknowledging that he is with them in spirit and in their hearts.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I don't think the thriving metropolis of Macksville will handle the huge influx, its not exactly a tourist destination set up with hotel resorts.

I think a ton of people will come into Macksville by car on the day and head home after the funeral or soon after

For those coming further away and wanting to stay the night, they could stay in a hotel on the way home somewhere if nothing is available in Macksville, Nambucca heads is only 12km up the road then Coffs Harbour. Kempsey is around 50km south for those going back to Sydney

TheParraboy

Staff member
I'm just wondering on everyone's thoughts on the idea of Phillip Hughes possibly being named 12th man for the first test?

I personally think it would be a fitting tribute by the team acknowledging that he is with them in spirit and in their hearts.

Im not sure about this

The test will be emotional as it is, players will have Hughes with them regardless of this

Tributes, as we have discussed in this thread, will come over the course of time and be more celebrated that way. Grieving for a lot of players is a long way from over.

lockyno1

Post Whore

No. Phillip wouldn't want it and nor should it happen.

lockyno1

Post Whore
There has been a lot of support for it.

There are more people that are dumb in the world then. Players are there playing a test match...do they really want to have Hughes (RIP) as the 12th man. Would break down. I get the sentiment I do. But that isn't the right one.

Latest posts