What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aust Vs SL - 2nd Final (Sydney)

JJ

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
He scored one of the best centuries ever made. He was also run out by a bloke that shouldnt have been on the feild or at least in that position, and in another innings, he was given out LBW after knicking the ball. to average 39 is pretty good considering.

and Australians never whinge or make excuses :roll:

JJ

Immortal
Rammo said:
When we lose JJ, you're right onto us, illustrating where we went wrong and outlining our downfall with pleasure, as sad as that may sound.

When we win it's something else, this time you're bitching about our treatment of Murali, but, to be honest, after yesterday's effort, anyone who calls him the best bowler of alltime has rocks in their head.

1. Because he went for 99 in an ODI.

2. Because he doesn't bowl anyway.

1. I've said a few times, I love watching Aust play... I hate listening to the morons talk, and I enjoy baiting rabid posters (who equally enjoy baiting me).
2. The Aust side IS past its best, and is coming back to the pack - ignore the Ashes at your peril... and kid yourselves that McGrath and Warne can fade away and you won't notice.
3. I have never said that Murali is the best bowler of all time... IMO he's not even the best spinner of all time - from their records and what I've seen and read I'd rate Grimmett, O'Reilly, Warne, Laker, and Underwood all in the same class or better. As far as the best bowler goes, my opinion is anyone who thinks a spinner is the best has rocks in their head.
4. Murali does bowl, like it or not, the evidence says it is so... a bit infantile to keep squealing about it

Parra Guru

Coach
JJ said:
ok -where was his bat in the ashes?

I'll take one scratchy series for all the magnificent knocks he's played before and after that. Also, I think any player who made one of the most important centuries in his career doesn't really have to prove anything to anyone about his batting efforts. There were a few other blokes who could have taken a bit more on themselves in that series. Not everything is to be blamed on Ponting's batting.... Just to refresh your memory...

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/216142.html

England v Australia, 3rd Test, Old Trafford, 5th day

Ponting finds his feet, and Freddie's heroics

On the ball with S Rajesh and Arun Gopalakrishnan

August 15, 2005

Throughout the series, Ricky Ponting had been struggling for runs, but he put it all together under serious adversity to score what is easily his most significant Test innings to date. It wasn't a typical Ponting effort - he began scratchily, taking 105 balls to reach his half-century, but from there, it kept getting better: his next 50 took just 64 balls, and he needed only 78 more to get to 150.

Ponting's problem so far on tour had been his footwork; here, it showed vast improvement. He wasn't very dominant off the front foot, but he made the bowlers pay whenever they pitched short. And he was only caught on the crease 18 times, a sign that he is slowly regaining his best form.

Ponting's fantastic knock thwarted a wholehearted effort from England, led by Andrew Flintoff. Flintoff has been in devastating form with both bat and ball in this series, and what's been especially impressive is the manner in which he has bowled to the left-handers in the Australian line-up. On the final day at Old Trafford, Flintoff proved once again that he had the measure of the left-handers, dismissing three of them - Matthew Hayden, Simon Katich and Adam Gilchrist - and conceding just 18 runs from the 60 balls he bowled at them.

Flintoff's confidence in his ability shone through in the manner in which he attacked the batsmen. He switched from over the wicket to round the wicket regularly, but seldom erred in direction while doing so, keeping it on a good length around off stump most of the time. The way he shackled Adam Gilchrist was quite outstanding - in 22 balls, Gilchrist managed only a single before eventually falling to him for the third time in the series. Flintoff's effectiveness against left-handers can also be gauged by the number of false strokes he induced from them - 15 times the ball took the edge or beat the bat. Even Ponting did not take too many liberties against him, scoring only 19 from 49 deliveries.

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
1. I've said a few times, I love watching Aust play... I hate listening to the morons talk, and I enjoy baiting rabid posters (who equally enjoy baiting me).
2. The Aust side IS past its best, and is coming back to the pack - ignore the Ashes at your peril... and kid yourselves that McGrath and Warne can fade away and you won't notice.
3. I have never said that Murali is the best bowler of all time... IMO he's not even the best spinner of all time - from their records and what I've seen and read I'd rate Grimmett, O'Reilly, Warne, Laker, and Underwood all in the same class or better. As far as the best bowler goes, my opinion is anyone who thinks a spinner is the best has rocks in their head.
4. Murali does bowl, like it or not, the evidence says it is so... a bit infantile to keep squealing about it

You will see us tonk the Poms within a year, they are nothing unless the ball is reverse swinging all over the shop! They have Ashley Giles as their spinner! Heck he does not spin the ball! The best bowler of all time is debatable and I am not going to go into it! Murali bowls a mixure of fastablls and slow balls! It is like watching the World Series on TV when he is bowling! He got the rules changed for hima nd anyone who does not see that is just silly!

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
You will see us tonk the Poms within a year, they are nothing unless the ball is reverse swinging all over the shop! They have Ashley Giles as their spinner! Heck he does not spin the ball! The best bowler of all time is debatable and I am not going to go into it! Murali bowls a mixure of fastablls and slow balls! It is like watching the World Series on TV when he is bowling! He got the rules changed for hima nd anyone who does not see that is just silly!

You'll be hard to beat, but if Warne and McGrath aren't there you'll struggle to get the poms out

the scary thing is, they won the Ashes carrying Bell and Giles...

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
You'll be hard to beat, but if Warne and McGrath aren't there you'll struggle to get the poms out

the scary thing is, they won the Ashes carrying Bell and Giles...

Mate we were carying Martyn and Crapitch! Plus we had 100 umpiring decisions go against us of which about 40 were from your own tool Billy Bowden! If Warne aint there we have Magill who is still 100 time better than Giles! McGrath we will struggle but Bracken, Clark, Lewis can all step up if needed!

sanjane

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Mate we were carying Martyn and Crapitch! Plus we had 100 umpiring decisions go against us of which about 40 were from your own tool Billy Bowden! If Warne aint there we have Magill who is still 100 time better than Giles! McGrath we will struggle but Bracken, Clark, Lewis can all step up if needed!

In regards to the umpiring decisions...exaggeration???????

And also, locky, Don't forget Dorey and Mitchell Johnson...

lockyno1

Post Whore
sanjane said:
In regards to the umpiring decisions...exaggeration???????

And also, locky, Don't forget Dorey and Mitchell Johnson...

Umpiring decisions- no becuase there were 5 tests and at least 15-20 bad ones a test going against us! Dorey and Johnson won't play TEST cricket in the next year! Dorey won't play test cricket EVER hopefully! Johnson has potential but is damn raw!

sanjane

Juniors
Coleman said:
http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BOWLING/ODI_BOWL_MOST_EXPENSIVE.html

Worst bowling figures in ODIs since the games were shortened to fifty overs. And the guy who was first had 105 off 12, and certaintly Murali would have gone for more than that had he bowled another two.

And surely alot of other guys (see Hopes and Dorey at the SCG earlier on, and Warne a few times in his career) would have gone for alot more than 99 had they bowled the full 10.

just an off day for the world's best bowler...probably ever.

lockyno1

Post Whore
sanjane said:
And surely alot of other guys (see Hopes and Dorey at the SCG earlier on, and Warne a few times in his career) would have gone for alot more than 99 had they bowled the full 10.

just an off day for the world's best bowler...probably ever.

World's best bowler?:lol: Not only does he not "bowl", but there is about 7 bowlers better than him!

aussies1st

Staff member
According the the rankings Brett Lee is the World's best ODI bowler. I can't remember the test one but it sure as hell isn't Murali.

lockyno1

Post Whore
aussies1st said:
According the the rankings Brett Lee is the World's best ODI bowler. I can't remember the test one but it sure as hell isn't Murali.

Yep! I think it is Warne or McGrath for the tests.

sanjane

Juniors
aussies1st said:

Do you know who was ranked Wisden's bowler of the century???