What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia under investigation?

Matt23

Staff member
A furious Australian camp has slammed rumours they dabbled in spot-fixing as "ludicrous" amid fears the defending champions are being subjected to a malicious World Cup smear campaign.

The Australians were rocked by damaging allegations today that the International Cricket Council had begun a secret probe into possible match irregularities arising from Australia's World Cup opening victory over Zimbabwe in Ahmedabad.

The report, on an Indian newspaper website, claimed the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU) is privately investigating the match after questions were raised over the slow start by Australian openers Brad Haddin and Shane Watson.

The opening pair scored just 28 in 11 overs and 53 in 15 overs in a match that Australia eventually won by 91 runs. The report said a slow scoring rate in the first two overs, when Australia had been 0-5, had been of particular concern to the ICC's corruption watchdog.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...bwe-as-ludicrous/story-e6frf3ju-1226014406051

Clutching at straws much, if that's the case Cameron White should be investigated by the ICC as well for "go slows" during the T/20's & ODI's against England.

El Diablo

Post Whore
this is another laugh http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket.../story-e6frf3ju-1226014640667?from=public_rss

Former Pakistan players urge ICC to investigate Shane Warne for predicting tie in India-England match

* By staff writers
* FOX SPORTS
* March 02, 2011 11:25AM

A host of former Pakistan players have urged the International Cricket Council to investigate Shane Warne for correctly predicting India's World Cup match with England would finish in a tie.

Warne was labelled a "genius" by England skipper Andrew Struass after the spin king had predicted the match in Bangalore would finish all square.

Before a ball had been bowled, Warne wrote on his Twitter page: "Looking forward to the game between India and England - should be a cracker. My prediction - a tie!"

Eight hours later, Warne's prophesy became a reality when the two teams finsihed level on 338 at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

After the match, Strauss jokingly shrugged off Warne's prediction as a stroke of genius, but former Pakistan quick Sarfraz Nawaz said the ICC shouldn't be taking the matter lightly.

“Something is definitely up when you start predicting a tie instead of talking about who you think is going to win or lose a match,” Sarfraz told Pakistan news website Dawn.com.

“After all, how common are ties in cricket? It is something that the ICC should definitely be investigating.

“And especially when such a statement comes from someone as controversial as Shane Warne who, apart from his doping scandals and irresponsible statements in the media, has also been in trouble over being accused of taking money from an Indian bookmaker in return for pitch and weather information,” he added.

Sarfraz found an ally in former Pakistan skipper Aamir Sohail, who has accused the ICC of double standards for not investigating the matter.

“When our (Pakistan) players are implicated in match-fixing on the smallest of pretext by the authorities of the game, then why has Warne’s prediction about the ‘tie’ not raised any eyebrows in the ICC?” he asked.

“To me, these are clear double standards from (ICC chief Haroon) Lorgat and Co. Everyone knows that India is the hub of bookies and match-fixers, so we can’t just rule Warne’s comments out as ‘casual remarks’.

"But since this prediction comes from an Australian player it is declared a stroke of genius," he added.

A furious Aamir urged the Pakistan media to demand the matter be investigated by the ICC's Anti Corruption and Security Unit.

Moments after the thrilling conclusion in Bangalore, Warne moved quickly to dismiss any suggestions that he played any part in the result.

Warne tweeted again: "Before u think there was something untoward re prediction of a tie, thought it was going to be a cracker - tie was tongue in cheek, but right."

He then joked that his prediction was was an astonishing stroke of good luck.

"I am taking a lottery ticket out this weekend !!!" he tweeted.

"Can't believe my prediction 7/8 hours ago was right - tie !! Classic, didn't think it would happen but hey-not bad !!!! 2011-my year ! Lol"

Former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif, who was a match-fixing whistleblower in the mid 1990s, has defended Warne and questioned how the Australian would benefit from predicting a tied match.

“Warne may have made his prediction one hour or four hours ahead of the result, but I fail to see who stands to gain from the teams drawing as per international betting rules a tie results in a ‘fog’ or ‘void’ where both betting parties have to be returned their money as a settlement by the bookmakers,” he explained.

While dismissing Warne's role in the tie in Bangalore, Rashid did raise questions about Australia's World Cup opener against Zimbabwe in Ahmadebad.

The Australia camp were forced to dismiss a media report on Monday that Shane Watson and Brad Haddin were under investigation from the ICC for their slow start in that match.

“Even if something fishy is going on and Shane Warne really is in contact with bookmakers, then why didn’t he say something when Australia only made 28 runs in their first batting power-play against Zimbabwe at Ahmedabad on Feb 21?” Rashid asked.

“I’m saying this because the market rate for Australia in 10 overs is over 50 runs and it was strange that even after taking the power-play they made just 28,” he said.

Matt23

Staff member
Can you imagine the uproar, if another country had accused India of doing a similar thing? they'd be racist, and the Indians would be threatening to leave by now.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Lol we started slow because of shrewd Zimbot selection of picking almost exclusively spinners — and Watson has struggled for eons against slow bowling.

Non story Subbies, must try harder.

aqua_duck

Coach
This is what I hate about cricket, the asian countries are so precious and have so much influence its not funny. I remember back when we toured india a few years ago and the crowd my racist monkey chants to andrew symonds, if that happened in AUstralia teams would boycott tours and we'd be held in the same regard as apartheid Sth Africa. The Indian media is 145000X worse than anything Rothfield and DUI Bec can muster in terms of pushing an agenda. When Harbhijan called Symonds a monkey, the Indian media laid the blame us for stirring him up

This is what I hate about cricket, the asian countries are so precious and have so much influence its not funny. I remember back when we toured india a few years ago and the crowd my racist monkey chants to andrew symonds, if that happened in AUstralia teams would boycott tours and we'd be held in the same regard as apartheid Sth Africa. The Indian media is 145000X worse than anything Rothfield and DUI Bec can muster in terms of pushing an agenda. When Harbhijan called Symonds a monkey, the Indian media laid the blame us for stirring him up

I worked with a few Indians and Bangladeshi's at my last job and they were the most sensitive people I have ever met, one bloke reported another worker for racism because she said their food smelled bad lol They weren't much older than me and if they had have gone to my school they'd have probably committed suicide, idk why but Indians in particularly are amongst the most sensitive people I've ever come across.

Matt23

Staff member
Apparently Sri Lanka has been accused of match fixing too
BBC said:
Sri Lanka vice-captain Mahela Jayawardene is considering legal action in response to commentary that implied he was guilty of match-fixing.

A state television broadcast suggested Jayawardene deliberately played badly for financial gain in Saturday's Cricket World Cup defeat by Pakistan.

Jayawardene said his lawyer was drafting a letter to "get to the bottom" of the accusation.

The allegation was also levelled at batsman Thilan Samaraweera.

Sri Lanka lost the game against Pakistan by 11 runs, with Jaywardene scoring two runs while Samaraweera scored one.

A commentary on Sunday on Sri Lankan state TV network ITN, written by the editor of a state newspaper, Mahinda Abeysundara, said a businessman had bet about 18,000 dollars on a Pakistan victory and that there had therefore been what he called a "chorus to change the game".

The commentator then remarked: "We just think Mahela and Thilan may have changed the game."

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Shane Warne IS a genius. Shane Warne IS a national treasure. Shane Warne IS a legend.

Bloody Pakistani players ffs.

Thomas

First Grade
Any player who gets out to a rash shot will be under suspicion. Same with any bowler who bowls more than a couple of no-balls.

Sad really.

aqua_duck

Coach
why is warne the one being called out he wasnt playing, maybe if there needs to be an investigation, the players should be the ones being investigated

Matt23

Staff member
Any team/player who appear to be a threat to India winning the world cup will be under suspicion.

aqua_duck

Coach
I worked with a few Indians and Bangladeshi's at my last job and they were the most sensitive people I have ever met, one bloke reported another worker for racism because she said their food smelled bad lol They weren't much older than me and if they had have gone to my school they'd have probably committed suicide, idk why but Indians in particularly are amongst the most sensitive people I've ever come across.
yeh I've encountered heaps of Indians and I've never met people who were more sensitive and who get defensive so easily. At my 1st job, we had a few Indian visa students working with us and if the manager had a go at them for anything they'd get real defensive and would always feel like they were being picked on.
I think India's class divide has something to do with it, those people who we are exposed to are general the wealthy middle to upper class and aren't use to criticism of any sort, in their country if you have money, your sh*t don't stink. In Australia, doesn't matter how much money you make, nothing can stop someone from calling you a wanker

Eelementary

Post Whore
yeh I've encountered heaps of Indians and I've never met people who were more sensitive and who get defensive so easily. At my 1st job, we had a few Indian visa students working with us and if the manager had a go at them for anything they'd get real defensive and would always feel like they were being picked on.
I think India's class divide has something to do with it, those people who we are exposed to are general the wealthy middle to upper class and aren't use to criticism of any sort, in their country if you have money, your sh*t don't stink. In Australia, doesn't matter how much money you make, nothing can stop someone from calling you a wanker

Bless this land!