What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v England - 4th Ashes Test

aussies1st

Staff member
There is what Tait can do. He may go for a few but he can produce that ripper. BTW which bowler got the catches dropped?
Punter getting out Vaughan :lol: who needs Shane Watson we have our all rounder ;-)

JJ

Immortal
Tait + Lee - too many easy runs. Only watched the first session, but Kasper was very solid.

You lot need an early breakthrough, and you could get them for <350 as their best players are out, but the two at the wicket could change things quickly- but it all depends on whether your batsmen can score runs, and they've shown a reluctance to do that so far!

gregstar

Referee
aussies1st said:
BTW which bowler got the catches dropped?
kaspa - caught & bowled (pietersen)
kaspa - hayden dropped easy chance at gully (vaughan)

hayden also missed a run out which he had plenty of time to line up & he didn't chase a ball to the boundary thinking it was going to be 4, the ball pulled up & made him look like he didn't give a rats.

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
Tait + Lee - too many easy runs. Only watched the first session, but Kasper was very solid.

You lot need an early breakthrough, and you could get them for <350 as their best players are out, but the two at the wicket could change things quickly- but it all depends on whether your batsmen can score runs, and they've shown a reluctance to do that so far!

With Warnie in the side, we should be able to carry those two guys going for plenty as long as the thrid seamer is keeping one end tight. What really hurts is when that third seamer bowls 11 no balls, and when lee bowl's batsman off a no ball.

I thought it was a promising debut from Tait. Not the best track for him to bowl on, but I thought he showed good ticker to come back after lunch.

Now, I just hope the selectors stick with him, because damn he is going to be exciting, sure, he might go for the odd 0/100 from 15 overs, but he is also going to rip through plenty of batting orders.

I mean, what a delivery to get your first test wicket with?

Sure beats Craig McDermott's beamer to richie richardson!

JJ

Immortal
Tait looked interesting for sure... I hadn;t seen him before - certainly quick and on a deck that suited him, I'm sure he'd be a handful.

Lee for mine was very ordinary with the new ball, that was pretty pea-hearted if you ask me... the deck was flat, and so was he...

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
Lee for mine was very ordinary with the new ball, that was pretty pea-hearted if you ask me... the deck was flat, and so was he...

I agree.

He's done so well this tour with the ball, I think he let himself down.

Still, he has got a chance to bounce back tonight and finish with good figures and give Australia the running.

choc_soldier

Coach
PARRA_FAN said:
I heard on SBS England are wearing black arm bands to pay respect for someone, couldnt quite get who he said. Does anyone know?

Both teams were introduced to an ill child prior to the Twenty20 match in June, and he died earlier in the week.

choc_soldier

Coach
I only saw the first session, but I agree with Deano's assessment on SBS - I can't see us winning this test the way we are playing. Our bowling attack seems to lack something without McGrath, and I was hearing this morning that Warnie is carrying a back injury.

But great to see Tait break through for his maiden test wicket. It was indeed a cracker!

Tommy Smith

Referee
Bloody rain made it difficult for the batsmen...stop start, stop start...and the conditions became bowler friendly for about an hour.

Things are pretty even right now, but could be worse for England. All in all, another score of 400 will give us a chance although i suspect rain may have the final say again.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
even game but england definetly on top if naytihng
if the aussies get an early wicket then it puts them in the control but if these two add another 50 then they are well on top

fat_mike

Juniors
the forcast of sky uk this morning had a beautiful weekend for weather and cricket followed by a sh*thouse monday with rain.

Considering it is a batting paradise, this game has come back to Australia a fair way. From 0-100 we've got them in a postion where shutting them down for 330-350 is possible. It looked like they would bat the first 5 sessions and post 550-600+. So despite the no balls and missed chances we're well in this. First session is critical on day 2.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
Considering it is a batting paradise, this game has come back to Australia a fair way. From 0-100 we've got them in a postion where shutting them down for 330-350 is possible. It looked like they would bat the first 5 sessions and post 550-600+. So despite the no balls and missed chances we're well in this. First session is critical on day 2.
Thats been the great thing about this series. Nearly all the sessions have been crcuial. Last night Australia missed a crucial opportunity to bowl England out for under 300. Today England have the opportunity to amass another 1st inning score of 400. Certianly will be exciting stuff tongiht, flicking between the cricket and football.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gregstar said:
hayden is having his worst ever day in the field - shoot the merkin!

wait till he maked a few run first...............then shoot the..........

Hayden was a good fieldsman up untill this series. I dont think he's hearts in the game any more. No determination to go on and make a big score after getting a start like he used to.

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
I agree.

He's done so well this tour with the ball, I think he let himself down.

Still, he has got a chance to bounce back tonight and finish with good figures and give Australia the running.

yeah - Lee is soft... when conditions suit him he fires up - when they don't, he goes missing in action after a couple of balls - very un-Australian I'd have thought

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
yeah - Lee is soft... when conditions suit him he fires up - when they don't, he goes missing in action after a couple of balls - very un-Australian I'd have thought

given some of his efforts in the previous two tests, your pretty game calling him soft!

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
given some of his efforts in the previous two tests, your pretty game calling him soft!

you referring to his bowling or batting - I am talking about his bowling - which IMO clearly lacks any spark when the wicket offers little - he's no Lillee, hadlee, Marshall or McGrath that's for sure

fish eel

Immortal
Both.
I think he lacks the guile of a Lillee, hadlee or marshall to bowl well on a featherbed, I dont think he is afraid of the work though. He still puts in.