What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia V. England: First Test at Lords

SirShire

First Grade
LOL It's not often you beat El D to the game thread after Warnie has taken a wicket - 2/104 and he has dismissed the danger man Trescothick.

#586 for the Great Man.

Poms trail by 316

SirShire

First Grade
The Great Man strikes for the second time, this time taking Bell.

3/104

Pieterson the new man in.

aussies1st

Staff member
Pitersen on his way to another 50. He and Jones will be the key to england winning this

Foz

Bench
Anyone else think Pietersen should have been given lbw.
Match would be as good as over.
Beam ball (according to the commentators)hit him on the knee from Lee.
Hawkeye had him gone middle and leg stump.
How it can be a beam ball when it hits you on the knee has got me stuffed.
Warney had both of the openers lbw (hawkeye backed it up as well) and Bob Willis and Ian Botham were raving on about how good the Pakistani was umpiring.
Add this to a few other touchy decisions (Clarke LBW in the first innings for one) and I think England have certainly got the rub of the green in this match.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Dar is a joke. I think the commentators are sucking up to him praising his sh*thouse decisions in hope that he hears of it and keeps it up.

sanjane

Juniors
Foz said:
Anyone else think Pietersen should have been given lbw.
Match would be as good as over.
Beam ball (according to the commentators)hit him on the knee from Lee.
Hawkeye had him gone middle and leg stump.
How it can be a beam ball when it hits you on the knee has got me stuffed.
Warney had both of the openers lbw (hawkeye backed it up as well) and Bob Willis and Ian Botham were raving on about how good the Pakistani was umpiring.
Add this to a few other touchy decisions (Clarke LBW in the first innings for one) and I think England have certainly got the rub of the green in this match.

Answer this question:

If you are batting and you charge down the wicket, a beamer ala the Pieterson ball is bowled. You slightly duck and get hit on the chest. Now the ball is going to hit the wicket as you charged and there is enough distance for the ball to travel...plumb LBW! Would you give yourself out in that situation?

Sends a slightly wrong message IMO!

Aleem Dar is the best of all current umpires. Even he gets it wrong. Yet some of you guys and your team doesnt want technology.

Beats me!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ashes umpire admits he got it wrong

July 24, 2005 - 12:39PM

Umpire Rudi Koertzen admitted to Brett Lee he made a mistake in rejecting an lbw appeal when an attempted yorker almost turned into another beamer from the Australian paceman.

Lee's attempt at a sandshoe crusher to Kevin Pietersen during the third day of the first Test at Lord's stayed mid-air after he flung it at 90mph (144.81kph) and smashed into the stunned English batsman's thigh in front of the stumps.

At least it stayed low enough to avoid a repeat of the high beamers he hurled at New Zealand's Brendon McCullum earlier this year and at Marcus Trescothick in the one-day series against England three weeks ago.

Instead, it should have brought Lee a wicket and sent England crumbling to 6-123 in its chase for 420.

"I think Rudi just lost it, he said that he didn't really pick it up," Lee said.

"He said he may have got it wrong, he apologised.

"But umpires do make mistakes as everyone else does. In that type of situation the ball's going at a pretty decent pace.

"I was disappointed the wicket wasn't there, but I wasn't annoyed with Rudi, I know that's the way it goes.

"I was trying to hit him on the full on the toes and it just went a little bit higher than what I expected to do.

"I was hoping for a wicket, turned around pleading to Rudi, he obviously saw it some other way."

The precocious Pietersen was shocked by the ball which trapped him plumb in front and which television replays showed would have hit middle stump.

He then stared down Lee and the pair exchanged words after Pietersen was beaten outside off stump with the next delivery.

Lee has made a huge impact in his first Test in 19 months, bowling with pace and menace to take three first innings wickets and another pair on the third day, sparking England's second innings collapse to put Australia in sight of victory.

As Trescothick and Andrew Strauss looked settled at 0-80, Lee forced Strauss to fend off a short ball and he sprinted from his follow through to dive head first and take a brilliant catch off his own bowling.

"I looked up and knew it wasn't going to reach to Gilly (Adam Gilchrist) and midwicket wasn't really going to have a go at it so I thought I'd better put it back in first gear and see if I can get there," he said.

"It was lucky the ball fell in my hand nicely."

He was enjoying his 38th Test, his first since January, 2004.

"I'm pretty happy to be back in Test cricket," he said.

"I've been wanting to be back in this seat for about 19 months.

"Back playing wearing the baggy green is a very special moment."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Ashes-umpire-admits-he-got-it-wrong/2005/07/24/1122143717615.html

Foz

Bench
sanjane said:
Answer this question:

If you are batting and you charge down the wicket, a beamer ala the Pieterson ball is bowled. You slightly duck and get hit on the chest. Now the ball is going to hit the wicket as you charged and there is enough distance for the ball to travel...plumb LBW! Would you give yourself out in that situation?

Sends a slightly wrong message IMO!

Aleem Dar is the best of all current umpires. Even he gets it wrong. Yet some of you guys and your team doesnt want technology.

Beats me!

If your down the wicket and the ball hits you in the chest there must be some doubt about the ball hitting the stumps.
Pietersen was back in the crease and it hit him on the full on the knee.
How is that a beamer?
As for Dar I think he gets it wrong a lot.
You dont need technology for plumb lbw's.
Strauss wasnt even offering a shot. (the second lbw not the first Dar got that one right).

knights04

Bench
Geraint Jones needs to be replaced for the next test. Some of the worst keeping I've ever seen and no boost for team morale whatsoever. If Pieterson stays in today and doesn't play like Afridi he might bring the poms close enough to victory.

sanjane

Juniors
knights04 said:
Geraint Jones needs to be replaced for the next test. Some of the worst keeping I've ever seen and no boost for team morale whatsoever. If Pieterson stays in today and doesn't play like Afridi he might bring the poms close enough to victory.

Read doesn't cut it with the bat and Prior isnt much better with the gloves. Jones is a much better keeper than that. Also dobt forget the Natwest Series final and what he did there.

I'd like to see an extra batsman for Giles though, say Crawley or Carberry or Shah.

knights04

Bench
Sure he can bat but at the end of the day he doesn't cut it as a wicket-keeper at the highest level. Why not get a batsman with little to no keeping experience and higher batting average to fill in as keeper? I would rather lean towards someone who's competent behind the stumps and still maintain an average in the 20's.

El Diablo

Post Whore
He didn't even come close to bowling a beamer. Only an idiot who has no knowledge of cricket would think a ball that hits a batsmen plum in front on the knee is a beamer.

aussies1st

Staff member
Shane Warne has admitted to frustration at having umpire Aleem Dar constantly reject his confident LBW appeals.

Warne's three wickets after tea on day three of the first Ashes Test at Lord's proved his spell over England was as strong as ever, but he was far from happy as he had several confident leg before shouts turned down by the Pakistani umpire.

Dar calmly refused Warne's sustained, vociferous appeals, and the legspinner had arms in the air in anguish, shook his head and at one stage put a hand over his mouth.

"Yeah, I thought a couple of them were pretty close, I suppose that's one way you can put it," Warne said later.

"At one stage I suppose I didn't think we were playing them."

Two of Warne's big appeals came when England openers Andrew Strauss and Marcus Trescothick did not offer shots to big-turning leg breaks, while Trescothick conceded he was in strife when he was hit in front last ball before tea to a delivery that went straight on.

"Very concerned, I didn't pick it to be honest," Trescothick said.

"I thought I hit it. But then I saw on the replay it was very close (smirking).

"There you go, not a lot else to say really."

Warne did question Dar over why some of his appeals were turned down, although it was unclear what was said.

The pair famously exchanged words in Brisbane last November, when Dar penalised Warne for bowling legside wides against New Zealand.

When Warne questioned those decisions, Dar said they were for negative bowling and told Test cricket's leading-wicket-taker: "You look after your job and I'll worry about mine."

Warne put a diplomatic spin on his disappointment at Lord's.

"Look, it's always pretty tough with an inside edge or if it goes straight or did it pitch outside," he told Channel Four.

"It's a real tough job and it's a real hard job to go to the umpires and you've just got to hang in there, all you can do is appeal when you think they're out.

"I thought I had a couple of close shouts and I just wanted to stay as patient as I could and try and execute my plans to each of the batters I had, and I thought I did that OK."

Warne also had a confident leg before appeal turned down in England's first innings on day two, when Kevin Pietersen was ruled not out by South African umpire Rudi Koertzen.

Pietersen later said he was lucky not to be given out.

Rudi Koertzen is not the only one making umpiring errors according to Warne

Latest posts