What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Rugby League vs NFL

deluded pom?

Coach
I was just thinking about your blood pressure Sam. We don't want any union trolls on here cranking you up do we? ;-)

fourplay

Juniors
Although I think league players are tougher...

NFL definately houses the superior athletes... they are faster, stronger and more explosive. Freaks of nature. Imagine 100 players as tall and fast as Greg Inglis but also happen to be able to squat 300kg+ etc.. and weigh over 120kg. Its like teams full of Johna Lomu's. Its simple mathemetics... You have 100 million players going for spots and when you scoop the cream out of that is going to be of a higher quality than that of the small population of Australia.

Fatwing15

Juniors
many NFL guys can play in the NRL(if trained properly), not many NRL guys can play in the NFL, NRL guys are well rounded, NFL guys are trained to specialize in a specific aspect of the game. so its hard to say which is the better athlete.

pennpool

Juniors
SteveM said:
The NFL wins hands down. The NRL has athletic players and the NFL has athletes.

It's a simple numbers game. More players to choose from equals better teams.

a three hindred pound fat guy not an athlete. a quater back that has to waste time outs to get his breath back after a 40 yard run not an athlete. players that require iv drips on the sideline after less than 30 mins of action played over 1 1/2 hours not an athlete.

its an apple and oranges argument which comes down to what you have grew up with. a high majority of nfl fans that think there players are the best, ultimate specimen athletes have never left there state never mind there country so most of the arguments are useless anyway. i enjoy the nfl when they are actually playing but for the rest of it its a joke.

pennpool

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
An end to this pointless thread please.

if its pointless piss off and dont read anymore but incase you forgot this is a forum that is made for debate and discussion.

no offense meant but it just pisses me off when people ask for topics to be shut down cause it doesnt float your boat.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
deluded pom? said:
I was just thinking about your blood pressure Sam. We don't want any union trolls on here cranking you up do we? ;-)

Don't panic don't panic!

Those union trolls, they don't like it up they do not like it up em.

To borrow a couple of lines from an old favourite.

Fatwing15

Juniors
well how about an allstar team of nfl players (assuming they have trained atleast a year in league) vs nrl players? id say nrl wins bc they have been playin a lifetime. But who in the nrl can compare to reggie bush and dieon sanders?( 2 of the best american athletes in the past 15 years) askin this as an honest question, not saying that those 2 are better athletes than anyone in the nrl

HHH

Juniors
i really dont think that the nfl player would be able to last the distance in our game. there is no way in the world theyde be able to run for 40 mins no stop. plus add to that they have no padding to hide behind,they wouldnt be able to handle the physical part of the game, no denying they are unbelievable athletes, but just not for our sport,unless trained

Tomahawk

Staff member
I'll teake the best 17 N.F.L players over the best 17 N.R.P. and I bet the N.F.L. would beat the N.R.L.

The N.R.L. guys would be in better shape and more skillfull the the N.F.L. players, but the N.F.L. players would be more athletic, stonger, and faster.

Just think of the players that the N.F.L. team would be made up off. It would be a scary team.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
NFL players would not beat NRL players at Rugby League.
Not trying to start anything but look at the big guys in the NRL. They are as big as any one in the NFL that plays a position that requires fitness and they can smash people just as well.
The games are just too diferant to have either on ebeat the other at their own sport.

deluded pom?

Coach
pennpool said:
if its pointless piss off and dont read anymore but incase you forgot this is a forum that is made for debate and discussion.

no offense meant but it just pisses me off when people ask for topics to be shut down cause it doesnt float your boat.

You're probably right but I still think it's a pointless argument. One that I'll leave you guys to chew over. Adios.

pennpool

Juniors
Fatwing15 said:
well how about an allstar team of nfl players (assuming they have trained atleast a year in league) vs nrl players? id say nrl wins bc they have been playin a lifetime. But who in the nrl can compare to reggie bush and dieon sanders?( 2 of the best american athletes in the past 15 years) askin this as an honest question, not saying that those 2 are better athletes than anyone in the nrl

lets see reggie and dieon when they dont have blockers opening holes for them. although they are both great athletes in my opinion its easier to run through a hole when a fat guy stops the defender for you.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
only way to settle the arguement, is to train both sets of players for a good 3 months, and then see how they go. Obviously the NFL team will win at Gridiron and the NRL team will win at RL, but how well they do in the other team's sport will determine their superiority imo.

Chicago Saints

Juniors
pennpool said:
lets see reggie and dieon when they dont have blockers opening holes for them. although they are both great athletes in my opinion its easier to run through a hole when a fat guy stops the defender for you.

Reggie Bush would make it in the NRL evetually just like Jason Robinson would make it in the NFL. You can't keep class down.

axefan

Juniors
reggie might make it but dieon wouldnt have a chance. he was the best coverage cornerback ever...but couldnt tackle or hit to save his life.

one guy...for sure would dominate in RL.

in his prime.

Jim Brown.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I won't debate this, I'm Australia, and I've only ever spent one month in the USA.

But NFL is my second favourite sport.

The padding argument is a joke.. all it does is make you hit the other the guy harder, not absorb a gerat deal of punishment.

However, are you Aemrican guys aware of the US side that toured Australia and NZ 40+ years ago ?

It contained a lot of American football players, I believe they were a college team.. and even then they weer bigger than the RL teams they played. But they learned a great deal of respect for the toughness of RL players.

roopy

Referee
Both games trace their roots back to Rugby Union, so the core skills of tackling, passing and running with the ball are similar - but obviously the two sports have developed very differently over a century or so.

Some guys would make it in either sport - but on the whole league players are smaller and fitter and american football players are bigger and stronger - somewhere in the middle are big, strong and fit guys who could play either game.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
roopy said:
Both games trace their roots back to Rugby Union, so the core skills of tackling, passing and running with the ball are similar - but obviously the two sports have developed very differently over a century or so.

Some guys would make it in either sport - but on the whole league players are smaller and fitter and american football players are bigger and stronger - somewhere in the middle are big, strong and fit guys who could play either game.

But the NFL idea of tackling is running into someone. Far different from Rugby League. Passing is also something only 1 guy per team does and the style is different. I think the difference is that an NRL player is more well rounded where an NFL player is more specifically focused. You can spend a whole career without touching the ball in NFL but still be a great player. But an NRL player that is lacking in a certain skill is usually found out quite quickly.

Latest posts