What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away jersey colour debate

Frailty

First Grade
You're still wrong, no 'would be' about it.

White is only a part of their colour schemes in the first place because they were forced to wear it as part of league policy. Many of them never identified white as part of their team colours despite their white aways, and take the influence of that policy away and a lot of them would never have had white jerseys at all.

There's nothing ridiculous about that approach at all, it's actually a really elegant solution to the problem. There'd be no issues with every team in the NRL being blue/navy if the NRL had the same system for example.

There are dozens of teams in the e.g. English football pyramid that have effectively the same jersey as at least one other team, e.g. Blades and Brentford in the Prem ATM, but under this system they never have to worry about clashing and they have the creative freedom to produce pretty much any jersey and merch range they can imagine. And whether you'll admit it or not, there is actually demand for a lot of these alt kits and merch.

A club's identity is whatever they make of it and there's no reason why that identity can't include brightly coloured away jerseys. The only reason you're arguing against it is because you personally aren't interested in a green or purple Liverpool jersey, and don't care about the practicalities of it. Frankly, when you talk about identities you're just using a flexible buzzword as crutch to try and justify your position without having to make a rational argument for it.
Considering in the NHL there were only ever 6 teams originally, and expansion in 1967 all teams had white as part of their colour scheme, not just because of policy. In fact, even when in 1970 is was determined that home teams had to wear light - it wasn't dictated to be white.

As for the Premier League, I can understand their system because they need to account for over 100 clubs through the many tiers of professional football - a problem the NRL does not have to deal with. On top of that, many of those clubs already have a long standing identity and history established - the youngest club in the Premier League is Chelsea which formed in 1905 (Older than the NRL's oldest club)! So they had plenty of time to establish their club identity before clubs started doing ridiculous clash/away jerseys. Souths could probably get away with a ridiculous clash jersey if they wanted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I mean I would be wrong if the vast majority of teams didn't have white as part of their colour scheme. Funnily enough, most of the NRL's clash jerseys are a white or light jersey (with clubs like Cronulla being an exception). I'm an NHL fan, and yes - teams have road whites (used to home whites but they switched it many years ago) - but white is usually part of clubs primary jerseys or logo, so it's not outside of the club's identify.

My post was in response to Perth Red's suggestion the NRL should adopt the Premier League and European Soccer approach of clash jerseys being a completely different set of colours outside of the clubs identity:View attachment 84186
I don't want to see the NRL bring this kind of approach in. It's ridiculous that all three jerseys are meant to represent the same team.

You won't hear me disagree with the suggestion that the NRL needs to be much firmer on jersey policy in terms ensuring proper contrast (and perhaps actually making Souths have a jersey that isn't essentially the same as the home jersey).
Personally I love having the main traditional design and colour brand as the home kit and then going a bit wild with the away/alternate jerseys. It helps sell merch and fans seem to like having other options than just the standard same colours. Not to mention it means you dont get the sht show on tv you get when a clubs colours are same as the opposition.

Something for everyone in my clubs jerseys this year, something for the traditionalists, something for those who want a different look and something for those who want to go a bit wild. Not surprisingly the first batch have all already sold out by Rd1. Im a traditionalist so rarely buy anything other than the home shirt but many others like to have something a bit different. I can guarantee we wont ever clash with the opposition!
Oh and our sponsor integration is a thing of beauty!

1708312073398.png1708312089124.png1708312100771.png

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
We've also produced some very nice special edition alternates that commemorate things.
win over Qlnd in 1983, our very early history where boilermakers formed the club, a Stanley Gene special to support PNG RL etc

1708312681231.png1708312748724.png1708312894795.png

kdalymc

Bench
all teams had white as part of their colour scheme,
-not directed at you, but anyone going on a bout this shit-

American sport teams wear white at home and colours when they travel because all of their leagues (apart from NFL) play every f**ken day/ every 2nd day, and back in the day when they were on the road washing them was hard. These days that's not an issue but the tradition has stuck.

hrundi99

First Grade
-not directed at you, but anyone going on a bout this shit-

American sport teams wear white at home and colours when they travel because all of their leagues (apart from NFL) play every f**ken day/ every 2nd day, and back in the day when they were on the road washing them was hard. These days that's not an issue but the tradition has stuck.

NHL used to do this but changed a while back. White jerseys on the road.

sheepbender

Juniors
Personally I love having the main traditional design and colour brand as the home kit and then going a bit wild with the away/alternate jerseys. It helps sell merch and fans seem to like having other options than just the standard same colours. Not to mention it means you dont get the sht show on tv you get when a clubs colours are same as the opposition.

Something for everyone in my clubs jerseys this year, something for the traditionalists, something for those who want a different look and something for those who want to go a bit wild. Not surprisingly the first batch have all already sold out by Rd1. Im a traditionalist so rarely buy anything other than the home shirt but many others like to have something a bit different. I can guarantee we wont ever clash with the opposition!
Oh and our sponsor integration is a thing of beauty!

View attachment 84316View attachment 84317View attachment 84318
If I were a Hull KR fan I wouldn't touch the Away and Alternate. Aside from being random colours, they're actually pretty bland jerseys

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I were a Hull KR fan I wouldn't touch the Away and Alternate. Aside from being random colours, they're actually pretty bland jerseys
youre in a minority. Fans love the options on offer, it leads to people buying more than one short a year. Are you buying an NRL shirt home and away that basically looks the same?
The boilermaker shirt was the fastest selling shirt in HKR history.

yobbo84

Coach
Besides the matters of club identities, etc....

The whole 'Random Souths Fan' schtick is based mostly around the fact that red & green together break such fashion rules that anyone wearing our jersey in public sticks out like a sore thumb.

We literally clash with no-one and I'm glad we don't have an away jersey as such. In fact, I hate all the gimmicky 'one-off' jerseys too (except the indigenous ones which are always good).