What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away jersey colour debate

MugaB

Coach
Spot on - most clubs have a colour in their palette that's not white, that differs vastly from their main home jersey colour

For the Warriors, red or green instead of blue

For the Eels, gold instead of blue

For the Roosters, red instead of blue.

And so on..

Not enough teams explore the lesser colours of their existing palette, and white is the easy "go to".
Fu---cking oaf bro, unless white is predominantly one of your major colors like Raiders, SeaEagles Bulldogs or St George, you don't use it as a major away color

I don't know how many times ive posted this on home/away color kits
Knights (H)ome Red/Blue, (A)way Blue/Red
Roosters H navy/red A red/Navy
Cowboys H navy/silver A silver/navy
Warriors H blue/green A Green/Blue
Parramatta H Gold/Blue A Blue/Gold
Brisbane H Gold/Maroon A Maroon/Gold
Titans H Gold/Cyan A Cyan/Gold

Sharks, Penrith, Storm, Dolphins, seem to be ok pretty well in their own contrast,

The only exceptions id make is for wests tigers
Tigers H Gold/Black A White/Black, the whole black kit is shit and doesn't represent anyone except for the magpies, which they aren't no more, real life tigers are not black do a white away one for them and Rabbits to go with a mostly white 3 stripe kit closer to their souths junior jerseys

Spot on - most clubs have a colour in their palette that's not white, that differs vastly from their main home jersey colour

For the Warriors, red or green instead of blue

For the Eels, gold instead of blue

For the Roosters, red instead of blue.

And so on..

Not enough teams explore the lesser colours of their existing palette, and white is the easy "go to".
Yes or alternatively, you can tone down the dominate colour like Easts did with their wartime jersey when rationing meant the navy got first dibs on blue die. If Storm ever embrace the purple (unique to them) they could have a lilac colour which shits on white and certainly looks good as seen with the Gresini Moto GP Ducati team. You can see from the rider’s arm that it works well with dark blue as well.

1708837517611.jpeg

flippikat

Bench
Yes or alternatively, you can tone down the dominate colour like Easts did with their wartime jersey when rationing meant the navy got first dibs on blue die. If Storm ever embrace the purple (unique to them) they could have a lilac colour which shits on white and certainly looks good as seen with the Gresini Moto GP Ducati team. You can see from the rider’s arm that it works well with dark blue as well.

View attachment 84502
Good point - and there's a convincing argument for home being standard colours, away emphasizing another colour in the palette, then an alternate that's the kind of muted/pastel shade you're talking about - for times when a "light"-shaded jersey is needed

cooko

Juniors
Rugby League is still away off but in the 90s football (soccer) shirts became a fashion item due to pop culture.

Some of the out there colours and designs still link to the club's identity at certain periods (man city maroon or red and black stripes or even man united in green and gold).

I've got no issue with some other colours being introduced in the NRL.

A lot of teams have made attempts. Canberra had a black away a few years ago and Brisbane had a few attempts at teal.

Mixing up away is also great for marketing. A lot of Fans will hold onto the traditional home kit but will want to buy the new each year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Warriors H blue/green A Green/Blue
I’m ok with us having white as the secondary colour now we’ve gone back to the original Auckland colours which actually are blue and white- the green was only even a trim colour and actually came from our first major sponsor.
But I hated the white away jerseys when we were using the primarily black/grey strips. They should’ve stuck with the silver/grey ones then

MugaB

Coach
I’m ok with us having white as the secondary colour now we’ve gone back to the original Auckland colours which actually are blue and white- the green was only even a trim colour and actually came from our first major sponsor.
But I hated the white away jerseys when we were using the primarily black/grey strips. They should’ve stuck with the silver/grey ones then
I agree, but you cant tell me a predominantly green jersey wouldn't be a sell out, just look at the white away one this season, it is mostly green on the top, if they reversed that it would be absolutely mint

flippikat

Bench
I agree, but you cant tell me a predominantly green jersey wouldn't be a sell out, just look at the white away one this season, it is mostly green on the top, if they reversed that it would be absolutely mint
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the greenstone "heritage" Warriors jersey when that was out - a green alternate for the Warriors would be fantastic!

RedVee

First Grade
I thought the green came in due to the Maori group that had an ownership stake way back when ?

flippikat

Bench
I thought the green came in due to the Maori group that had an ownership stake way back when ?
Original Warriors jersey (1995) was the blue & white of traditional Auckland colours, plus red & green which I believe were added to distinguish from the Bulldogs, plus they meshed-in well with the original main sponsor DB Bitter.

energizer

Juniors
Rugby League is still away off but in the 90s football (soccer) shirts became a fashion item due to pop culture.

Some of the out there colours and designs still link to the club's identity at certain periods (man city maroon or red and black stripes or even man united in green and gold).

I've got no issue with some other colours being introduced in the NRL.

A lot of teams have made attempts. Canberra had a black away a few years ago and Brisbane had a few attempts at teal.

Mixing up away is also great for marketing. A lot of Fans will hold onto the traditional home kit but will want to buy the new each year.
It works with the European football codes as their kits are generally well designed using the likes of Adidas, Nike etc, have minimal advertising and player names. We have way too much advertising on our jerseys.

Ideally this could be simplified by removing the sternum sponsorship and going back to the jersey manufacturer taking its place, then eventually if we ever move to player names getting rid of the top jersey spot.

The offset to this is for clubs to make the remaining spots on the jersey more premium as the front and back are exclusive spots. A good case study for would be in the UK given they play in rolling advertising boards.

On the clashes, an easy one that can be implemented is not having a clash on shorts. The Manly v Tigers trial issue could have been easily avoided.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
No, Tainui didn’t buy into the club until a few years into its existence. As flippikat said it was mostly due to being sponsor colours and to distinguish them from the Dogs.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why is this thread even a thing?

One side of the "debate" is saying here's practical reasons why this method of doing things is objectively better, and the other side is like 'I don't care because the objectively worse method appeals to me emotionally'.

There's no debate in that, it's just a bunch of people trying to rationalise an irrational position.

Last edited:

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Souths were a poor example of use of an away kit yesterday. Their black shorts would have contrasted soooo much better. They arbitrarily wear black at home and white away regardless of which one is more appropriate. Does my head in

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

One side of the "debate" is saying here's practical reasons why this method of doing things is objectively better, and the other side is like 'I don't care because the objectively worse method appeals to me emotionally'.

There's no debate in that, it's just a bunch of people trying to rationalise an irrational position.
That's what a debate is you pompous blowhard.

MugaB

Coach
I don't even think there is a debate really, there just seems to be a lot of forum posters here who all generally agree that souths are shit at creating an away jersey end of... go back to the full white kit with a few strips that works

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
A debate is a formalised argument where two or more opposing view points are presented and compared against each other in a combative manner.

What's happened in this thread is that one view point has effectively been accepted as correct on face value for emotive reasons, despite it objectively being worse for practical reasons, and the rest of the time has been spent trying to rationalise away the inherent flaws in that view point.

That isn't a debate, or dialectic FTM, it's just a circle jerk.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A debate is a formalised argument where two or more opposing view points are presented and compared against each other in a combative manner.

What's happened in this thread is that one view point has effectively been accepted as correct on face value for emotive reasons, despite it objectively being worse for practical reasons, and the rest of the time has been spent trying to rationalise away the inherent flaws in that view point.

That isn't a debate, or dialectic FTM, it's just a circle jerk.
Seek help

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

You accusing others of being emotional and irrational is remarkable, but that aside, this thread is a thing because you and others derailed the 2024 jerseys thread with off-topic discussion that had veered away from 2024 jerseys and had become about away jerseys generally.

That, and people are entitled to disagree with you, whether you think they're rational or not.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't even think there is a debate really, there just seems to be a lot of forum posters here who all generally agree that souths are shit at creating an away jersey end of... go back to the full white kit with a few strips that works
Souths just get away with it because their standard colour palette is pretty unique and.doesn’t really clash with anyone else’s.

MugaB

Coach
Souths just get away with it because their standard colour palette is pretty unique and.doesn’t really clash with anyone else’s.
Raiders home, vs Rabbits away is pretty much green top /white shorts so yeah they do clash, but so do most of the competitions blue kits

Latest posts