What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away Strips

Encurly

Juniors
Timmah said:
PS - as a Broncos fan, aren't you dirty on the joke the away strip has become? It's almost to the point where to the naked eye it's looking white with black trim... the blue has gone that dark - and it features close to NO maroon and white...

Looks like the Magpies away jersey or something :?

Could be worse...

bronco_m427343.jpg

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah it confuses me.
I really like the St George away shirt,but I've seen it maybe once.
I went to the Titans Vs Dragons game,Titans wore their home,as did Dragons.
I went to the Cows Vs Broncos,Cows wore the away,despite never going to clash with the Broncos anyway...

So it seems,some teams wear for non-clashing and some wear it for away.
I know one thing,Storm should never wear their away....awful.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Originally in MLB, the home side wore completely white and the away side all grey. Now the away side will wear colours of some sort.

phonetic

Juniors
I agree. Alternate strips are over used.

The only clash that I see with the big red Vee is... well I don't see any. But the NRL will tell me that there is a clash with Canterbury. I seem to remember watching Saints vs Canterbury matches in the 90's, and I didn't have too much of a hard time figuring out which team was which.

But back to the point. I can perhaps see why we would wear it against Canterbury, but besides that fixture, and perhaps the annual Steelers Day, we shouldn't wear our alternate jersey.

Unfortunately, the alternate jersey shows off the three stripes of adidas, and hence I'm sure it's written in the contract somewhere that we need to wear it a certain amount of times. This would explain us wearing it vs such teams as Canberra, Nth Qld and Parramatta.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Encurly said:
Could be worse...

bronco_m427343.jpg
Ha ha... I've been looking for that photo for ages. Hilarious.
But not as bad as the one they wore in 1998 v Manly. Imagine the Adelaide Rams jersey, but the aqua/jade instead of red. Disaster.

Tom Shines

First Grade
phonetic said:
I agree. Alternate strips are over used.

The only clash that I see with the big red Vee is... well I don't see any. But the NRL will tell me that there is a clash with Canterbury. I seem to remember watching Saints vs Canterbury matches in the 90's, and I didn't have too much of a hard time figuring out which team was which.

But back to the point. I can perhaps see why we would wear it against Canterbury, but besides that fixture, and perhaps the annual Steelers Day, we shouldn't wear our alternate jersey.

Unfortunately, the alternate jersey shows off the three stripes of adidas, and hence I'm sure it's written in the contract somewhere that we need to wear it a certain amount of times. This would explain us wearing it vs such teams as Canberra, Nth Qld and Parramatta.
To be fair, the Bulldogs jerseys in the 90s had a lot more blue, especially on the chest and shoulders.

ShineDog

Juniors
:( :( :(
ozjet1 said:
There is a need for these in some cases, however I'm becoming pissed off with the use of away strips by clubs, just because they are the away club on match-day. Example, Parramatta had no reason to wear the new white strip they wore against Souths on the weekend, Brisbane seem to don the white jumper/blue shorts whenever they are away (no matter if their maroon and gold strip doesnt clash with the home opposition), and I noticed Manly wore a predominantly white strip on sat evening against the Tigers.

The situation is beginning to get out of control. Clubs should be instructed to wear their home strip for all matches. The away strip should only be used if the home strips of both match-day clubs are identical or similar.

These shenanigans aren't just restricted to the NRL. It seems to be an infectious disease associated with all Australian sport as the AFL do it too. Away strip rules adopted by FIFA and other major pro sports in the world are in place to actually serve a purpose!!!

Hindyscrack

Bench
I dont know why the hell the eels have worn the white strip twice so far this season.

Between the blue and gold versions there is no need for a white strip, we have never had a clash before, why bring it in now?

I am in agreeance only wearing an alternate strip when needed, not just because you are away.

One of the dumbest things i have seen this year was the force not wearing their away strip when playing the tahs in sydney, yet i've seen them don it before when there has been no need to.

choc_soldier

Coach
Generally, the Panthers only wear their away jersey when it is required - playing away to Cowboys, Broncos, Warriors, Roosters and Storm, because there are clashes with our black and their darker shades in their home strip.

Every other time it's the black home strip.

Our new away strip makes its premiership debut this Friday night. It's one of those jerseys you'll either love or hate.

TGM

Juniors
choc_soldier said:
Our new away strip makes its premiership debut this Friday night. It's one of those jerseys you'll either love or hate.

Is this it?

439744-2.jpg

If so, I rather like it

Charlie124

First Grade
The only time ive ever had an issue with jerseys is when the Cowboys wore their white cursed away jersey in the 2005 grand final, there was absolutly no reason to do so, in fact their blue one would have been less of a clash with the tigers. I hate that jersey and am glad the Grand final was the last time ill ever see them in it.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
Wtf is with those arrows? :lol:

1. Letting people know they do have genitles

2. an upside down Citroen logo

3. I think its a cool strip and obviously has influenced the Titans. :D

Latest posts