What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Away Strips

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see which strip the Titans wear... both will clash with the 'Dogs I'd imagine.

hrundi99

First Grade
LeagueLegend said:
False. The NRL only approves the decision from the clubs.

That statement doesn't make sense.

Regardless, they have the right to disapprove a choice the club makes, so therefore they are inherently deciding on the strips.

The manual may provide the theory, but practice is often different.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
The clubs decide what jersey they want to wear. They send the form into the NRL outlining what strip it is. There is a tick box on that form that club ticks to say they have or have not informed their opposition. The opposition upon reading the form can elect what strip they wish to play in. If the NRL believes there will be a "clash", they then decide what the opposition team will wear.

Canard

Immortal
meltiger said:
The NRL yes maybe, the foulest jersey the Broncos have ever worn is the diamond number they were in the Tooheys Cup years ago.

Are you talking about their infamous "court jester" jersey? or something else altogether.

Because the diamond/court jester one was used during NRL/ARL/NSWRL matches (quite a few actually).

Knightmare

Coach
steeden. said:
at least it resembles penrith's colours, unlike the broncos away one.. thats the biggest waste of a jersey possible. At least last year it had maroon and gold. This years doesnt represent Brisbane at all.

I'm with you. I can't understand why they didn't make the away jersey mainly yellow with maroon bits on it? Makes SO much more sense that that dreadful away get-up they parade in. I can't believe anyone would actually BUY it. :crazy:

Timmah

Staff member
They can even tone down the yellow... not so much canary but more in the Eels style or something... The white and (what is more or less now) black bears no association to the club whatsover.

Hass

Juniors
I agree with the sentiments of the thread starter. Clubs should either go two ways.

Option A:

Have a main jersey that you wear on all occasions except for when there is an out and out clash. In this case you wear a specifically designed "clash jersey".

Option B:

Have two jerseys of equal standing - one of which is a reverse of the other. This applies to teams like Parramatta who by having a gold and blue jersey ensure they'll never clash with anyone (no need for a white jersey).

I believe having so many different jerseys is self-defeating from a marketing perspective. Sure, you might make some extra dosh by flogging more of them. But you are damaging the overall brand - and it is the overall brand that is going to have the biggest impact on your overall success.

Cheers.

ozjet1

what the f**k were parra wearing last night?

its seriously getting out of hand.

many australian sports followers like to accuse european football clubs of having multiple strips, but there are rules in place and enforced by FIFA and local leagues as to the use of match-day strips.

*all clubs must endeavour to wear their home strip in every match*

*if in the opinion of the competition administration, the home strips of both match-day clubs are identical or similar, the designated away club must wear a change or away strip for the match.

many here may think this is a petty area of the game to have a gripe about, but this issue affects the presentation of the competition.

This year, clubs such as Parra and Easts have worn two and three different strips respectively in 4 rounds of football! Parra still have another 2 to get through. I seriously thought the match was a replay of some ESL match when I glanced towards the tele in the pub last night.

European football leagues may make a healthy buck out of merchandising, but its primarily the introduction of individual player names and numbers which have really boosted sales. They may make subtle changes to their strips, but the theme is still the same. Real Madrid are still all-white. Liverpool are still all-red, Man U still are red shirt, white shorts, black socks. AC Milan are still red shirt with black stripes, white shorts and black socks, etc. They don't f**k with the branding. Parra have had so many different strips this decade alone.

If Easts want to wear their 100 seasons strips they should register it as the home (primary) strip and endeavour to wear it in every match this year.

The presentation of the game is the most important way to sell the NRL. Its being f**ked with greatly.

-end of rant-

Lowdown

Juniors
I don't care if a team has two strips or three....but....

For god's sake, if you are going to release a jersey, please don't have one that looks like you picked it up from Best and Less and stuck your sponsor's logo and some numbers on it.

Seriously, the Eels jersey last nigth would have to be the WORST.JERSEY.EVER.

It actually made the Raider's jersey look good, and in any other contest it's a shocker.

$2 jerseys...what's next?

Tom Shines

First Grade
I couldn't justify paying $150 for that plastic shirt the Eels wore as a one-off last night.

ozjet1

just been on the parra website......1947 retro jersey is what it was.......lets gouge some more cash off our supporters!!:roll:

Timmah

Staff member
Club jerseys 2007:

Brisbane 2 (Maroon, white, possible 3rd for anniversary game?)
Bulldogs 3 (White, blue, heritage)
Canberra 2 (Green, white)
Cronulla 2 (Sky blue, White/grey)
Gold Coast 2 (Blue/aqua, white)
Manly 2 (Maroon, white)
Melbourne 2 (Navy/purple, white/yellow bolt)
Newcastle 2 (Blue, Red, possible 3rd for anniversary)
North Qld 2 (Horns, White)
Parramatta 4 (Yellow, White, Blue, Retro47)
Penrith 2 (Black, white)
Saints 2 (Red V, Scarlet)
Souths 2 (R&G White panels, R&G Black panels)
Sydney 3 (Navy, White, Heritage)
Warriors 2 (Black, light grey)
Wests 2 (Black, orange)

So really, only 3 clubs have more than 2 jerseys.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Doggies blue lokked good... I would ditch the Heritage though, or at least ditch the black shorts.

Choppies

Coach
Personally I prefer teams play every game in their main strip unless it clashes. But that will never happen because jerseys = $$$$$

I would like to see an NBA jersey system put in place though.
If a club changes their jerseys they bring out a home and away but have to wait 2 years before an alternate jersey can be released.
Plus NBA clubs keep their jerseys for years with only minor changes to the design.

Nuke

Staff member
That Parramatta one is completely pointless. They already have 3 jerseys this season anyway (also stupid and pointless), so why introduce a 4th?

Does anyone here remember the old computer game 'ET's Rugby League'? That 'retro' Parra jersey reminds me of the jerseys used in that game!

innsaneink

Referee
The dogs striped heritage jersey of last week looks like its been hacked to death, a good jumper totally ruined with the blocks the numbers on, the side panels and the sponsors.

Parras last nite looked great, as did the raiders jumper.

Wests apparently will wear an older Magpies retro this year, the 50s jumper with the thick and two thin white horizontal stripes.
A new 1915 balmain retro on sale may be used im guessing for the other JV partner

Latest posts