What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Melbourne ratings, poor Sydney GF ratings

ouwet

Bench
Poor Sydney audience! To not crack the million (Not even get close) is shocking!

ghoti

Bench
Gee...that's very poor. Grand Final publicity was pathetic this year, and the fact that the Shark situation clogged most headlines mid week didn't help anything.

salivor

First Grade
Yeah Sydney's a real heartland of Rugby League, disgraceful, disgraceful that they couldn't sell out the Grand Final and some of those semi-finals crowds in Sydney were disgraceful as well.

On a positive side though, it's a great figure for Melbourne, a quarter of their population watched the game last night, just another reason why we have to keep pushing the game there.

ledzep

Bench
So the Rugby League GF outrated the AFL in Sydney and Brisbane, and more Melbourners watched the RL GF than Sydneysiders watched the AFL
It's only bloody Perth and Adelaide that boosts the AFL figures

Parra Guru

Coach
That's disgraceful that people wouldn't watch the game. You people are the reason other sports will take over here.

If adelaide and perth were shown the game live then they would both be in the 100s of thousands..

I would like to see what the regional figures are.. Yesterday channel 10 news was bragging about the AFL grand final being the most watched program all year with over 4million viewers.

PJ

First Grade
Yes Parra, how dare they do what they want. The hide of them.

IF RL numbers are slipping maybe the powerbrokers should try and find out why and rectify the situation.

Personally I think the viewer numbers appear low as many people gather in groups at pubs and friends houses to watch.

Those Melbourne figures are unbelievable! It just goes to show that there is a potential audience for league out there.

Hopefully, this amazing result translates into better coverate next year... while I don't expect Ch.9 to put league on 8.30pm Friday night, it would be worth a punt on at least putting Storm's games on every week in some time slot... oh what the hell, put the league on at 8.30pm as well! Or is it starting earlier next year? Put both of them on!

In all seriousness... perhaps a 10.30pm Fri nite game, then a replay of the Storm match or something like that...

Remember, Melbourne IS league heartland! lol

Parra Guru

Coach
It just shows that people will sell out on the game its self a bit too quickly just because a Sydney club isn't involved.

I take my hat off to the Sydney supporters who stuck it out and actually went to the game yesterday. They're doing their bit for RL its self, not just worrying about their own team.

ali

Bench
That's amazing that Melbourne beat Sydney in the ratings. For the Sydney figure, I blame our media and the way they jumped off RL and onto the Swans. They brainwashed everyone into thinking that the Rugby League meant nothing to Sydneysiders because there was no Sydney teams in there. However, unless my team makes it, it makes little difference who makes it IMO. It was still the Grand Final!

cheese

Bench
pity it was such a farkin sh*t game though ....I doubt to many non-leaguie meblourners would have endeared to the game after last nights effort ......

Parra Guru

Coach
ali said:
That's amazing that Melbourne beat Sydney in the ratings. For the Sydney figure, I blame our media and the way they jumped off RL and onto the Swans. They brainwashed everyone into thinking that the Rugby League meant nothing to Sydneysiders because there was no Sydney teams in there. However, unless my team makes it, it makes little difference who makes it IMO. It was still the Grand Final!

League fans still have a duty to make the game a success. I have watched every grand final I am able to. It's part of my year, just like SOO games. I thought last years match up was a joke, but I still watched the game.

There's no way Melbourne would ever sell out on AFL the way Sydney has on league this week.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I can't believe it never thought something like that could happen. The admin has alot of work to do next year in Sydney... Too many teams in Sydney too time for a couple more mergers. Time for a marketing campagin that isn't 20 years behind the times .. time to sort out the pathetic excused refs they dished out this year. Lots of things to be improved on in the NRL.

Front-Rower

First Grade
LebaneseForces said:
Poor Sydney audience! To not crack the million (Not even get close) is shocking!

How didn't the sydney ratings crack a million? That figure reads 2.56 Million.

Alex28

Coach
Anybody got last years Sydney Grand Final ratings? There are a few factors (long weekend so people going away, people watching in hotels/bbq's/parties) that go against the ratings in Sydney...