What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Melbourne ratings, poor Sydney GF ratings

meltiger

First Grade
Balmain_Boy said:
Are you suggesting that the media doesn't play an influence on what shows are watched? Are you mad?

What was suggested is that people didn't watch the RL Grand Final because the media told them not too.

Yes, I struggle to believe people are truly that moronic that they would watch a game they don't support ahead of a game they do support because the media told them too.

Balmain_Boy

My mistake, I didn't read all of Ali's quote. I think there is a bit of hyperbole on his part.

But I don't doubt that the figures dropped at least partially because of the media shunning of the event in favour of "our swannies".

ucantseeme

Juniors
But I don't doubt that the figures dropped at least partially because of the media shunning of the event in favour of "our swannies".

i too am getting sick of continued "our swannies" bits of advertising passed off as journalism in the DT. I hope when the Tri-Series is underway they refer to Australia as "our kangaroos".

wittyfan

Referee
Last year's Grand Final rated 2.563 million.

Sydney: 1.18 million
Melbourne: 506,000
Brisbane: 778,000
Adelaide: 49,000
Perth: 42,000

The 2004 Grand Final averaged 1.04 million in Sydney.

meltiger

First Grade
wittyfan said:
Last year's Grand Final rated 2.563 million.

Sydney: 1.18 million
Melbourne: 506,000
Brisbane: 778,000
Adelaide: 49,000
Perth: 42,000

The 2004 Grand Final averaged 1.04 million in Sydney.

A game between the Tigers and a Towsville team outrated a game between 2 Sydney sides? Fair effort that.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what makes ub the Brisbane figures? Do they include the GC?

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Sydney is losing its status as the home of rugby league. These ratings are proof of that. Further proof is the poor crowd numbers in sydney, especialy a semi-final between 2 sydney teams that gets 40,000, when a regular season match between broncos and warriors get 48,000.

It's great to see happen. Sydney really is just a cesspool of hate, a self absorbed mealstrom of bad vibes. The day will come when there will only be 2 sydney teams, and even then no one will go to watch them, except maybe the channel nine commentary team, and even then they will have to be flown in by helicopter surrounded by armed security.

It's about time the nrl stepped up, and really become NATIONAL

Samwise

Bench
meltiger said:
Just out of interest, does anyone know what makes ub the Brisbane figures? Do they include the GC?

Part of it. Gold Coast also has its own NBN affiliate. which overlaps with Ch 9 Brisbane.

cheese

Bench
Just a thought

But LOTS of people may have watched the grandfinal through their FOX box, rather than their FTA box. Thats how i watched it. This doesnt count right?

El Diablo

Post Whore
wittyfan said:
I'd say the Gold Coast would be in with Northern NSW for the regional ratings.

NBN GC and NBN Lismore are two different NBN's

they even run on different times during daylight saving.

El Diablo

Post Whore
from ARL

Storm lose Final, but Melbourne win ratings
02.10.06 14:38

The Broncos scored the premiership but Melbourne has scored its biggest ever Rugby League ratings success attracting a peak audience of 1.064million viewers and an average of 903,000.

The Telstra Premiership Grand Final peaked at 2.98million viewers nationally on the Nine Network and averaged 2.56milllion viewers nationally.

A further 1,522,014 viewers tuned in across regional Australia on the WIN and NBN Networks with a peak audience of 1,620,148 by far the highest figure of any sporting event in one of Australia’s biggest television markets. Again regional Victoria recorded a strong following with a 39.36percent share almost 20 points clear its rivals.

The size of the Melbourne match audience surpassed even Sydney where the Grand Final again dominated the night with a peak of 934,000 viewers and an average of 804,000 who joined the Telstra Stadium Crowd of 79,609 in watching every minute. The average confirmed the Grand Final as the most watched event in Sydney last weekend with Rugby League still dominating the most watched programmes of the year in Sydney and Brisbane.

Needless to say the Broncos fairy tale finish for Shane Webcke was a massive hit with Brisbane viewers averaging 788,000 and peaking 889,000.

The result pushes the match ahead of all three State of Origin games in Queensland this year.

“Across the eastern seaboard it has been another strong result for Rugby League,” NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said today.

“The Melbourne audience is bigger than we could have predicted and it shows again that there is an important audience in Victoria for Rugby League.”

Sydney:

Match Avg: 804,000

Match Peak: 934,000

Brisbane:

Match Avg: 788,000

Match Peak: 889,000

Melbourne:

Match Avg: 903,000

Match Peak: 1,064,000

Regional NSW/Queensland/Victoria/Tasmania:

Match Avg: 1,522,014

Match Peak: 1,620,148

Adelaide & Perth *Note the game was not shown till after 10:30pm:

Match Avg: 67,000

Match Peak: 85,000

great ratings for the NRL in melbourne, shouldnt expect anything less with the GF in primetime on a sunday night with the only melb sports team that has been left for the best part of 2 weeks

judging by the reaction on talkback radio this morning a lot of people thought it was quite boring and that rugby refs are bigger f***wits than AFL ones and they even have a tv ref to help them and they make a bigger impact on the game

meltiger

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
great ratings for the NRL in melbourne, shouldnt expect anything less with the GF in primetime on a sunday night with the only melb sports team that has been left for the best part of 2 weeks

judging by the reaction on talkback radio this morning a lot of people thought it was quite boring and that rugby refs are bigger f***wits than AFL ones and they even have a tv ref to help them and they make a bigger impact on the game

I got 1 message from someone last night whinging about how boring the game was but at work no one has said anything of the sort. Which is a positive given everyone was talking about it this morning.

meltiger

First Grade
& I'm rapt to see we broke the million at it's peak.

Fantastic stuff from Australia's greatest sporting city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never thought I'd see the day that RL drew a bigger audience in melbourne than Sydney or Birsbane! The times are a changing!!

I think we have seen that Sydney RL fans support their team rather than the "game".

Well done Storm, here's hoping you can grab onto the coat tails of your new found audience!

ali

Bench
cheese said:
Just a thought

But LOTS of people may have watched the grandfinal through their FOX box, rather than their FTA box. Thats how i watched it. This doesnt count right?

You would only be counted if you are one of the lucky people they use for the sample. How it works is that they have a few thousand people who are included in the sample. This figure is determined to be large enough to give a reasonably accurate estimate of the number of viewers who actually watched the game.

Secondly, if you had 16 people over to your place and you were part of the sample, then you would log 16 people onto your box with their demographic details, and it would go down as 16 people watched the game at your place. Not only do they keep track of what channel you are watching, but you have to keep track of how many people are watching on your TV.