What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Melbourne ratings, poor Sydney GF ratings

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Shocking count for Sydney. What else were they doing? Brisbane almost outrated you (with less than half the population!) and we don't have the day off like you either.

Tap Twist Snap said:
I can't believe it never thought something like that could happen. The admin has alot of work to do next year in Sydney... Too many teams in Sydney too time for a couple more mergers. Time for a marketing campagin that isn't 20 years behind the times .. time to sort out the pathetic excused refs they dished out this year. Lots of things to be improved on in the NRL.
Agree 100%

oldmancraigy

Coach
The day off could have made a difference to the SYDNEY ratings:

IF each person who rated as 'watching the grand final' had 1 friend round (on average this is fairly plausible) then that makes it 1.8million sydney viewers.

It's more likely people would have had grand final parties in Sydney - being able to imbibe much liquor and stay up late with the day off looming - I know I watched the game with 15 other people, and I'm sure there were MANY events like that.

Unless the ratings work a different way (they might be on %?) then I wouldn't be freaking out...

Edwahu

Bench
How are these ratings compared to those for day grand finals? Isnt the excuse for night grand finals that they rate a lot better?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Edwahu said:
How are these ratings compared to those for day grand finals? Isnt the excuse for night grand finals that they rate a lot better?

9 wants it at night because the ratings count in the yearly ratings race. ratings between 6pm-12am are the ones that decide who wins the year.

Samwise

Bench
Raider_69 said:
anyone have the Neilson ratings?

Syd - 18.5
Melb - 22.1
Bris - 30.1
Adel - 3.6
Perth - 1.3

Quite good ratings in the 3 league capitals. Sydney still isn't bad considering they had no team. Shocking is a bit of an exageration.

Melbourne still got a crowd of 26,000 at the victory vs roar match as well.

Impressive stats for down south.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Sydneysiders were too busy whacking off over their Barry Hall posters...

Anyway those are pretty shocking figures, the NRL must be praying that the sydney teams do well next year. A protracted period of out-of-state dominance could really damage the game in Sydney, seeing as it's obviously in a weaker relative position than AFL is in Melbourne.

Red Bear

Referee
2 non sydney teams is probly why. Just a guess there.

I watched it tho despite despising both teams so it can be done.

Sharkie™

Juniors
yes we have to take into account BBQ's etc, because i was at one which had 15 of my mates (not including me), thats 16 viewers considered as one. there were plenty more in the street aswell.

Thomas

First Grade
Ratings don't take into account people watching the game at pubs, clubs and open air venues either.

I'd be taking ratings as a guideline only.....

El Diablo

Post Whore
Thomas said:
Ratings don't take into account people watching the game at pubs, clubs and open air venues either.

I'd be taking ratings as a guideline only.....

they had pubs, clubs and open air venues last year

Samwise

Bench
ShArKsMaN said:
yes we have to take into account BBQ's etc, because i was at one which had 15 of my mates (not including me), thats 16 viewers considered as one. there were plenty more in the street aswell.

Unless you or your mates have a people meter installed on their TV, none of you were counted.

Ratings work on a sample size of people who have a box installed on their television that monitors viewing habits. Overall people at bbq's would have been taken into account to a degree. The big one that throws these rating out is pubs and clubs. Melbourne had the same problem as Sydney and Bris though, so overall these ratings are a good indication of which city had more viewers.

To be honest though TV viewing figures in Sydney are down a fair bit across the board. A Tarp of 18 isn't bad. Nevertheless, with the rates Ch 9 would have wanted in that market, it probably wasn't too cost effective.

Balmain_Boy

Lego_Man said:
Sydneysiders were too busy whacking off over their Barry Hall posters...

Anyway those are pretty shocking figures, the NRL must be praying that the sydney teams do well next year. A protracted period of out-of-state dominance could really damage the game in Sydney, seeing as it's obviously in a weaker relative position than AFL is in Melbourne.

I dunno about that. I think the problem was compounded by Sydney's presence in the AFL grand final.

Tap Twist Snap said:
I can't believe it never thought something like that could happen. The admin has alot of work to do next year in Sydney... Too many teams in Sydney too time for a couple more mergers. Time for a marketing campagin that isn't 20 years behind the times .. time to sort out the pathetic excused refs they dished out this year. Lots of things to be improved on in the NRL.

i told ya melbourne would get high ratings :p

meltiger

First Grade
ali said:
For the Sydney figure, I blame our media and the way they jumped off RL and onto the Swans. They brainwashed everyone into thinking that the Rugby League meant nothing to Sydneysiders because there was no Sydney teams in there.

So what you are telling all of us is that Sydneysiders are nothing short of brain dead hicks, who require the Editorial in the Daily Telegraph to tell them what to think? :?

Awesome Melbourne figures.

Talking to people today ... Almost everyone took an interest, even if they didn't directly watch it. That can only be good for the club. Say you pick up a 1 million people bandwagon, and that 1% translates into new dedicated fans ... That alone is an additional 10,000 people.

Balmain_Boy

meltiger said:
So what you are telling all of us is that Sydneysiders are nothing short of brain dead hicks, who require the Editorial in the Daily Telegraph to tell them what to think? :?

Awesome Melbourne figures.

Talking to people today ... Almost everyone took an interest, even if they didn't directly watch it. That can only be good for the club.

Are you suggesting that the media doesn't play an influence on what shows are watched? Are you mad?