What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Melbourne ratings, poor Sydney GF ratings

AuckMel

Bench
meltiger said:
I got 1 message from someone last night whinging about how boring the game was but at work no one has said anything of the sort. Which is a positive given everyone was talking about it this morning.

Same here.

People were talking about the game at each of my breaks and when I went home I had a great discussion with a guy who I thought had no interest in the game at all.

eels_fan_01

Bench
salivor said:
Yeah Sydney's a real heartland of Rugby League, disgraceful, disgraceful that they couldn't sell out the Grand Final and some of those semi-finals crowds in Sydney were disgraceful as well.

On a positive side though, it's a great figure for Melbourne, a quarter of their population watched the game last night, just another reason why we have to keep pushing the game there.

1.The grand final was "sold out" all the tickets were sold you halfwitt its just the people didnt actually come to the game.

2.The finals in sydney there were all sydney supporters, didnt see mant Broncos fans come down.

3.Alot more games will be "home" finals next year which is proberly better so you wont have to worry.

4.There were no sydney or NSW teams in there, there was a Melbourne side. I would hope that they would watch it as they had no AFL teams make the top 4.

Brutus

Referee
meltiger said:
What was suggested is that people didn't watch the RL Grand Final because the media told them not too.

Yes, I struggle to believe people are truly that moronic that they would watch a game they don't support ahead of a game they do support because the media told them too.

Many Daily Telegraph readers are like 2GB Continuous Call listeners - morons.

Balmain_Boy

Queenslanders should stop whining - I'd like to see how much their viewing figures are up by this year. If it's 25% due to Brisbane being there, then what's the shame in our figures falling by 25% due to their being no Sydney teams?

Brutus

Referee
I found a Swans lift-out on the train today. Surely that didn't come from today's Telegraph.

salivor

First Grade
eels_fan_01 said:
1.The grand final was "sold out" all the tickets were sold you halfwitt its just the people didnt actually come to the game.

2.The finals in sydney there were all sydney supporters, didnt see mant Broncos fans come down.

3.Alot more games will be "home" finals next year which is proberly better so you wont have to worry.

4.There were no sydney or NSW teams in there, there was a Melbourne side. I would hope that they would watch it as they had no AFL teams make the top 4.

1. Halfwit? Did I strike a nerve little man? Oh so they just didn't turn up, well that makes it better then :lol:. Was it a similar excuse why NSW couldn't sell out it's only SOO game this year?
2. Doesn't say much for the supposed heartland of Rugby League when the Bulldogs v Broncos semi-final can't even hit 30k. For the record the highest crowd of the finals was the 50k that turned up for the match in Brisbane, who again come Tri Nations time will show in crowd numbers which state actually appreciates their League.
3. Only about 10 years too late.
4. And your point? We're talking about a state that has only had a Rugby League team for 7 years and can't even get 15k to Storm games on average and they get bugger all media coverage through the year compared to a state which has had Rugby League teams for 99 years and proclaims itself league heartland. It's piss poor on Sydney's behalf to be outrated by Melbourne.

Bengal

Juniors
TheBourbonBeast said:
Sydney is losing its status as the home of rugby league. These ratings are proof of that.

It's about time the nrl stepped up, and really become NATIONAL

If there are teams out there that are better equipped and more financially viable than the teams currently runnin around, it's worth considering, but are there?

Those Melb figures are unbelievable - well done, massive shyt....dang, I really wished Melb had won now....sorry Brissie fans, but a Melb win would have been sooo much better for the game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Bengal said:
If there are teams out there that are better equipped and more financially viable than the teams currently runnin around, it's worth considering, but are there?
Uh, how are we supposed to judge clubs on how successful they would in the NRL if they aren't in the NRL?

Figures in regional NSW were great, probably just as good as any other year. So it shows it was Sydney dickheads that decided not to watch, not all NSW people. Rugby league is still strong in the bush and AFL, at least in northern NSW, is miles behind so get your act together Sydney. That "RL capital of the world" tag is slipping big style.

RiotAct

Juniors
wussy dragons and dogs fans mustve been still drowning their sorrows and avoiding the television

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
it is all in the DT. The general sydney poplous who read that rubbish are the type of people who are essentially told wat to think by the media. Last year there was the Swans push as well as the WT fairytale, this assisted in the ratings boom, but this year due to the interstate GF, there was VERY LIMITED RL in the DT, and the Front Page was all abt the SWANS etc. One thing that annoyed me abt the DT is that the sat DT had a fron and back page lift out of the AFL GF... WTF! no wonder we rated badly in syd.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
AuckMel said:
Same here.

People were talking about the game at each of my breaks and when I went home I had a great discussion with a guy who I thought had no interest in the game at all.

i am so delighted at this news, GREAT STUFF. Now i only hope that the TN is pushed in Melb.

leaguerules

Juniors
i know ratings are big deal these days. BUt for the NRL they would be happy im sure just because the ratings were down doesnt mean it iwas still massive event in sydney. I havnt meet anyone who didnt watch it that includes girls/guys who arnt big league supporters let alone watch two out town team. I think sydney did their part by selling out the game if it didnt sell out maybe then sydney mite need to cop it

taxidriver

Coach
the NRL should be sh*tting themselves with those Sydney tv ratings.

channel nein would laso be very very uncomfortable given the reliance on advertising dollars. It wouldn't surprise me if certain advertisers wouldn't be looking at some sort of rebate given the numbers posted.

gaterooze

Bench
Nonsense, taxidriver. League had fantastic ratings in Sydney all year, and it held up okay with no NSW team in the GF (more than the AFL featuring the only Sydney team).

Melbourne's ratings more than made up for the drop in Sydney.

taxidriver

Coach
gaterooze.

channel nein would have charged a big premium on ad time given it was the GF.

I'm pretty confident that that premium would also have included some guarantees around ratings.

the sydney ratings were woeful.

And once the AFL regionals come in, the NRL Grand final may have beaten the AFL Grand Final when OZTAM and the regionals are combined.....

Which I suspect is why we don't know the AFL regionals already..

taxidriver said:
the NRL should be sh*tting themselves with those Sydney tv ratings.

channel nein would laso be very very uncomfortable given the reliance on advertising dollars. It wouldn't surprise me if certain advertisers wouldn't be looking at some sort of rebate given the numbers posted.

most of those advertisers were with the channel nine coverage all year, coverage that consistently won its timeslot on friday night and sunday arvo. I doubt they would be overly dissapointed given that it was the first ever grand final with no sydney teams.

i think the description as 'woeful' is way over the top, its one year , lets see what happens over the next few. I think sydney people will in time get used to seeing non sydney teams there.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
gaterooze said:
They were significantly less than last year, but 800,000 viewers in one city is far from "woeful" in anyone's language.
But Sydney is 'the home of rugby league". Surely its lost that bullsh*t title after this shocker.