What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ayshford re-signs

westie

Bench
Guess what theme this post is gunna take...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...yshford-commits-to-tigers-20110518-1et5i.html

No one else in the league would have considered signing this guy. I doubt anyone in the club besides Sheens and Humpty Dumpty wanted him offered a new deal. He's soft, almost as bad as Moltzen and all the backroom staff know it.

''I didn't really want to go anywhere else, so I was happy to see what they had to offer,'' Ayshford said. ''I'm not one of the elite centres, where I'd get a lot of money somewhere else. Playing with my mates, I'm happy to play for any amount of money.

At least he admits that no one else wanted him. So why the 4 year deal? Why are Fulton, and Gibbs especially being allowed to negotiate and this guy being re-signed? We've seen this year what happens when we lose our workers in the pack and how bad it makes our average outside backs look. Literally in the middle of the slump categorically showing this, they re-sign the problem and let the blokes we're struggling without to move on.

I'm baffled. Next we'll be trading Payten for Moltzen or Ryan.

DanOz

Juniors
If Ayshford has been re-signed on a modest contract I think its a great decision. Currently we have no one better than him we can put on the park.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I dont mind the contract extn- good on jhim. He wil never be a rep player but is a solid enough player and a good team member- all teams need their regular, non superstars that just contribute.

Tigerm

Coach
If Ayshford has been re-signed on a modest contract I think its a great decision. Currently we have no one better than him we can put on the park.
Agree, there is always alot of talk about giving the juniors & youth ago, well this kid is all that & can play backs or forwards. Will really show his value in a year or two when he gets some more experience (like not holding the ball in one outstretched hand).

Tiger Hawk

Bench

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...yshford-commits-to-tigers-20110518-1et5i.html

No one else in the league would have considered signing this guy. I doubt anyone in the club besides Sheens and Humpty Dumpty wanted him offered a new deal. He's soft, almost as bad as Moltzen and all the backroom staff know it.

''I didn't really want to go anywhere else, so I was happy to see what they had to offer,'' Ayshford said. ''I'm not one of the elite centres, where I'd get a lot of money somewhere else. Playing with my mates, I'm happy to play for any amount of money.

At least he admits that no one else wanted him. So why the 4 year deal? Why are Fulton, and Gibbs especially being allowed to negotiate and this guy being re-signed? We've seen this year what happens when we lose our workers in the pack and how bad it makes our average outside backs look. Literally in the middle of the slump categorically showing this, they re-sign the problem and let the blokes we're struggling without to move on.

Firstly, I'd trade Ayshford for Fulton every day of the week. Fulton has some positives, and I'm a huge fan of his, but let's face it the guy hasn't kicked on at all since 2005. Now whether that comes down to the coaching staff or not isn't for me to say, but Ayshford has at the very least shown consistent improvement, if not consistent form. He's a strong runner of the ball, often breaking the first tackle, and gets us going forward. His defence isn't fantastic but it has improved to the point where he can handle elite centres - albeit he's hot and cold. But the biggest reason is he's what, 5 years younger than Fulton? The only problem is the length of the contract, but if its on modest salary then he'll provide good depth.

Gibbs on the other hand, he should be retained as the game last week showed how badly we miss his line speed and work around the ruck.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I like the signing. If we ever get another strike centre to partner Lawerance then he would make a very good bench utility player who plays in the back row but can cover the backs in place of Ryan or whichever winger/love child Sheens is using at the time

I like the signing. If we ever get another strike centre to partner Lawerance then he would make a very good bench utility player who plays in the back row but can cover the backs in place of Ryan or whichever winger/love child Sheens is using at the time

Great Point PT.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think its a good signing.

westie here believes there's no reason why we shouldn't have the 17 best players in the world in our team.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
No, westie just believes a wests junior (Fulton) should be given preferential treatment over an easts junior (Ayshford).

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ayshfords no world beater but is solid enough. Shame Daniela is injured as I probably prefer him to blake.

Westie I seriously don't understand how you can bag ayshford but still love Fulton who has offered nothing to the side for years now.

N.C.

Juniors
I agree with this. Unfortunately, though, we have Sheens for the majority of his extended contract. This means that he would be on the bench as part of our prop rotation, with Beau sitting next to him in #14.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I'm not against his re-signing as I stated earlier but I'm wary of WT extending him for another 4 years. He is not that good a footballer to lock in for so long. Especially as Sheens is only extended for part of this time.

Why bind a future coach to solid, but average, players the previous coach wanted? How can WT possibly look to attracting a new coach when they are already binding his hand (popularity wise) by having numbers of average players that would obviously be target for moving on, on extended contracts. Madness.

At best I would have extended his contract to that of Sheens finishing date.

R2Coupe

Juniors

This is not worthy of a response.

Tigerm

Coach
I'm not against his re-signing as I stated earlier but I'm wary of WT extending him for another 4 years. He is not that good a footballer to lock in for so long. Especially as Sheens is only extended for part of this time.

Why bind a future coach to solid, but average, players the previous coach wanted? How can WT possibly look to attracting a new coach when they are already binding his hand (popularity wise) by having numbers of average players that would obviously be target for moving on, on extended contracts. Madness.

At best I would have extended his contract to that of Sheens finishing date.
I don't know about that, isn't Tinkler already doing that to Bennet? The next coach of the WT still needs a team to work with, in 2 to 3 yrs Ayshford could be a world beater, or at least a solid FG player & all coaches need them. Are you suggesting that he wont improve over the next few years, that doesn't make sense?