What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ball Stripping Good or Bad?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Did anyone watch the Raiders-Warriors game last night?

Holy hell I don't know what that was but it wasn't the NRL.

I suspect it was some bastardised form of Rugby League; with the Raiders tackling in 3s with 2 peeling off in unison every few tackles.

Get that shit out of our game now please. Don't even wait until 2020; save 2019 as well, Todd.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

I suspect it was some bastardised form of Rugby League; with the Raiders tackling in 3s with 2 peeling off in unison every few tackles.

Get that shit out of our game now please. Don't even wait until 2020; save 2019 as well, Todd.
Or you know, players can just secure the ball

We got penalised trying it once so it’s not like it’s a flawless excercise.

LineBall

Juniors

Just shows how dumb the warriors are. Anyone playing the Raiders know they are going to do it. The whole premise that two players are restraining a player while a third strips the ball is rubbish.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah the only legal one we did was fine. Hodgson locked up the ball and his teammates fell away. People act like the other two guys are holding the arms or something. It just stops momentum so Hodgson can win the wrestle for the ball when they fall off

skeepe

Immortal
I wouldn’t get rid of it. I’d go a step further and reintroduce raking the ball back at the play the ball. I reckon Hodgson would be great at that too.

Raidersteve78!

Juniors
It really is simple have players concentrate on holding onto the ball, if they have a secure grip of the ball they won't have it taken out off their hands it's really that simple.

It is not without risk if they get wrong they get penalised as the Raiders were twice last night.

HowHigh

Coach
Not really a fan of it, rather not have it in the game.
If its purely a 1 on 1 tackle sure but none of this 2-3 starting the tackle then dropping off so one can strip it.

LineBall

Juniors
If its purely a 1 on 1 tackle sure but none of this 2-3 starting the tackle then dropping off so one can strip it.
So what’s the difference? When the actual strip occurs it’s still one on one.

T-Boon

Coach
It really is simple have players concentrate on holding onto the ball, if they have a secure grip of the ball they won't have it taken out off their hands it's really that simple.

It is not without risk if they get wrong they get penalised as the Raiders were twice last night.

Agreed. Big dumb props should be a liability. They have had it all their way for too long.

Raidersteve78!

Juniors

If the ball runner is charging into a tackle knowing it will be a two or three man tackle his main priority should be to maintain possession of the ball. Anything outside of that should come with a degree of risk.

If you're skillful enough and the reward for offloading the ball outweighs the risk in going for the offload then offloads will remain a vital part of the game.